Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have the same ace ones on my rubi.

my 5-3 wife appreciates them as does my 3 year old.

they are also handy when getting things off /putting things on the roof rack
So true, A roof rack is on my list, what did you end up getting?
Like everything else now, there is so many choices and going off of peoples recommendations and internet pictures is pretty much how I will pick one out
Sponsored

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

So true, A roof rack is on my list, what did you end up getting?
Like everything else now, there is so many choices and going off of peoples recommendations and internet pictures is pretty much how I will pick one out

just got the plain jane jeep one

only surfboards up top, no tent for me

Harassh0le

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I have a 2019 Rubi that already has rock rails and I’m looking for a step option that doesn’t cost $2k. I’d prefer a step that can be added to my stock rubicon rails if that’s even a thing.
I’m in and out of my Jeep all day for my job. I want something that’s easily removable without adding extra stock parts in my garage. I’m already about to have a stack of spare wheels and hard Top taking up space.

tL:dr need steps to bolt on factory rubi rock sliders

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I have a 2019 Rubi that already has rock rails and I’m looking for a step option that doesn’t cost $2k. I’d prefer a step that can be added to my stock rubicon rails if that’s even a thing.
I’m in and out of my Jeep all day for my job. I want something that’s easily removable without adding extra stock parts in my garage. I’m already about to have a stack of spare wheels and hard Top taking up space.

tL:dr need steps to bolt on factory rubi rock sliders

Not many step options out there that are a direct bolt on and inexpensive unless you feel up to doing a little DIY.

For under $100 Canadian including tax and shipping, I was able to bolt on two of the Lund Side Steps (P/N 26410025) to my Rubi rails. These steps are actually meant to be used with the Lund Rock Rails, but I decided to try mounting them to the Rubicon Rock Rails instead. I figured a return would be easy if it didn't work since I purchased them from Amazon.

It did take a little bit of work on my part to get them installed, and if you want to do the same you would need to do the following;

- Mark the spot on the underside of the Rubicon Rock Rails where you want to mount these steps.

- Drill 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails.

- Then you need to insert an M8 sized Rivnut into each hole that you just drilled. I used a stainless M8 Rivnut because those matched the size of the bolts included with the steps, but there are brass Rivnuts available as well.

- Once you have the Rivnuts inserted and compressed, you would use the bolts, washers and locking washers that come with the steps to mount them to the Rock Rails.

You'll need to use a good quality Rivnut tool to compress the stainless Rivnuts as they're a little stronger than the standard brass Rivnuts.

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_2.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_7.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

Lund Step_9.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132220.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Not many step options out there that are a direct bolt on and inexpensive unless you feel up to doing a little DIY.

For under $100 Canadian including tax and shipping, I was able to bolt on two of the Lund Side Steps (P/N 26410025) to my Rubi rails. These steps are actually meant to be used with the Lund Rock Rails, but I decided to try mounting them to the Rubicon Rock Rails instead. I figured a return would be easy if it didn't work since I purchased them from Amazon.

It did take a little bit of work on my part to get them installed, and if you want to do the same you would need to do the following;

- Mark the spot on the underside of the Rubicon Rock Rails where you want to mount these steps.

- Drill 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails.

- Then you need to insert an M8 sized Rivnut into each hole that you just drilled. I used a stainless M8 Rivnut because those matched the size of the bolts included with the steps, but there are brass Rivnuts available as well.

- Once you have the Rivnuts inserted and compressed, you would use the bolts, washers and locking washers that come with the steps to mount them to the Rock Rails.

You'll need to use a good quality Rivnut tool to compress the stainless Rivnuts as they're a little stronger than the standard brass Rivnuts.

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_2.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_7.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

Lund Step_9.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132220.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg
Looks great. Nice rig

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How was it with the bolts? I'd love to add these but have heard horror stories.
@zdr

Do like quite a few others have done..... buy the sliders / steps and have your dealership Service Dept install them for you...

Dealership usually will get an hours labor to do the install.

DO, check with your dealership before you buy..... (talk to the Service Manager there, not the Service Writer) and ask if they would do the install... Most all will.

IF they break a body bolt, they will fix.... probabaly would fix it under warranty but never tell you that warranty paid for it and not them.

Anyway, lots of guys here to include myself had the dealer do this install....

I for the most part do all my own stuff so to speak but did not want to risk my breaking a body bolt..

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How was it with the bolts? I'd love to add these but have heard horror stories.
This is the third set that I have installed. The only bolt issue that I had on the first install was not realizing these were a channel nut or equivalent, so if you pushed up on your air gun the nut would come out of the channel and just spin. I spoke to the guys over at Ace Engineering, (which is now been bought by Steinjager)and that's how I found out how to handle the issue. When removing the bolts you have to apply a downward force and that will keep the nut in the channel and it will not spin around
When installing them I have had to loosen up my factory rock rails and make sure that they were in the highest position that they could be mounted this was there is zero contact between the Ace Engineering step mounts and the factory rails. I have always started the install by not using an impact gun to get the bolts started. Once I know they are threaded correctly I would use a ratchet to tighten them up and just check any of the mounts so they are not contacting the factory rails and then torque them up. I have installed the 3 sets by myself, only using jack stands with rags to protect the finish.
I believe that Ace Engineering and CJPonyParts or others have videos of the install. I have never broken a bolt or have known of anyone other then a few on this forum that have had it happen to them. I love then just for the protection they offer along with helping me when it comes time to clean it too. The other cleaning/loading accessory I purchased from Northern tool that really helps is a tire mounted step. Don't laugh yet it really helps when needing to reach places on your Jeep, and me with a very bad back it is a life saver and folds up and takes up so little room

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...aSs_Xcb0H1qR88ix7rxoC4VYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 1629918210916

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One thing that I did forget to mention is that Jeep has a Drivability Program that will help pay for the steps or other equipment if you are disabled. Because of my bad back and shoulder I did qualify and submitted my invoice to the program and did get reimbursed

https://www.fcausdriveability.com/equipment/running-boards/

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 1629919763280

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Man after doing lots of research and looking through this thread, I’m still not seeing anything I would love to put on my 392.

Closest thing Id consider going with is the DV8 Offroad SRJL-04 slider/steps. But something about the gap between it and the body bugs me.

Sponsored

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
Man after doing lots of research and looking through this thread, I’m still not seeing anything I would love to put on my 392.

Closest thing Id consider going with is the DV8 Offroad SRJL-04 slider/steps. But something about the gap between it and the body bugs me.
Did you look at LOD Destroyers? Those have a similar style and really look good. I had ROAM on my last jeep and they looked really good, these are virtually identical

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Did you look at LOD Destroyers? Those have a similar style and really look good. I had ROAM on my last jeep and they looked really good, these are virtually identical
Yup! They arrive today.

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! They arrive today.
Funny, can you send me your feedback when you get them? I'm curious how far much gap they have between the rail and body. That's one thing I liked on the ROAM's, the mounts were adjustable. Cheers

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Funny, can you send me your feedback when you get them? I'm curious how far much gap they have between the rail and body. That's one thing I liked on the ROAM's, the mounts were adjustable. Cheers
They were delivered today but I probably won’t have them installed till next week.

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They were delivered today but I probably won’t have them installed till next week.
I actually just ordered Rusty's Offroad rock sliders. I'm hoping they won't get into the body like most "steps" do. I'll miss the look and function of the Destroyers though
Sponsored