Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

TexDevilDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xE
Aries Powered Running Boards - helps when you have a wife that is 5'2 and two boys who are 3 and 5 years old.

20210511_215702_2.jpg

20210511_215647_2.jpg

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Here’s a question: has anyone tried to some tube steps with existing factory rock rails? I’d really like to keep the OEM ones. No place to store them, and can’t really get enough $$ for them to be worth the hassle. Plus, I like the look of the OEMs.
Thinking something like Go Rhino’s 4000 series 3”. Looks like their would be enough clearance, just need to figure out/ alter the mounting. Might order them and play around.
Thoughts?
(Don’t really need the ACE Engineering ones, little too much for my coastal, beach riding, swamp mud Jeep)

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I ended up going with a pair of Jeep Performance Rock Rails w/ step. I liked the factory look, they cover/ hide the pinch seam and give some good anti-door ding protection. Plus, they give the 5'1" wife a step to get into the Jeep (stock JLU Willys is till a little too tall for her...)
Got them from BAM for $700 and change with free shipping. I had read some other reviews about receiving the rails with bent mounting brackets. No issues on mine: all were true. I was missing one of the 12 nuts used on the pinch seam bolt/ studs. But since I was replacing the standard rub rails, there wasn't an issue.

Sponsored

TurqJeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I realize this is was posted a while ago now. But I just ran across these steps and really liked them. They say universal... Any idea if they would work with stock Rubi Rails? Thanks!

Those look like the Lund side steps that I have on my Rubicon.

They can be installed on the stock Rubi rails, but it takes a little work as you'll need to drill some holes into the underside of the Rubi rails, and then install some Rivnuts in order to bolt them on.

Here's a few pics of the steps installed on my 2019 JL Rubi from two other threads.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...teps-to-rubicon-rock-rail.23781/#post-1081523

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ers-feedback-review.55707/page-2#post-1267186

TurqJeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Those look like the Lund side steps that I have on my Rubicon.

They can be installed on the stock Rubi rails, but it takes a little work as you'll need to drill some holes into the underside of the Rubi rails, and then install some Rivnuts in order to bolt them on.

Here's a few pics of the steps installed on my 2019 JL Rubi from two other threads.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...teps-to-rubicon-rock-rail.23781/#post-1081523

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ers-feedback-review.55707/page-2#post-1267186
It does look like your Lund steps, thanks for the overview! I think I'd like to stay away from drilling for now, but definitely might return to this option if nothing else really works out. Appreciate you answering my question!

Sponsored

Kahoona

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, Black w/red
Occupation
Retired USCG CPO

Kahoona

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, Black w/red
Occupation
Retired USCG CPO
Just received my Rough Country side steps.. Now I just need my Jeep to be delivered so I can bolt them on!

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? ECBA7C94-B8A8-40CC-A0E8-E23B54A7D70F

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? ECBA7C94-B8A8-40CC-A0E8-E23B54A7D70F
Lenny, I just received my Rubicon and I am looking for steps. These Rough Country side steps look awsome. How do you like them? How hard were they to put on?

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Lenny, I just received my Rubicon and I am looking for steps. These Rough Country side steps look awsome. How do you like them? How hard were they to put on?
They are great but I had to switch them out for go rhino dominator with drop steps. My wife has a bad knee and needed something lower to get into my 2 inch lifted jeep with 37s.

Install was a breeze it took me less than 2 hours.

Good luck with your new Jeep!

AJ_4xE

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
At the moment it isn’t lifted no (doing it next spring)

but all the reasons you listed above ...are exactly The reasons I went with these steps. A ton of great options out there...but besides needing a step for my wife and mostly daughter to climb in, I liked the overall fit of these.

No problem, glad I could help!

Jay, Lod's are costly. Are they better than a nerf or hdx for someone who doesn't plan heavy off-roading?
Sponsored