Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Just installed these Rough Country Contoured Side Steps for the Rubicon. I’m gonna share some thoughts and a little on my thought process if anyone needs help! I wanted a set of steps that sat flush against the body and that matched the Jeeps styling. My biggest gripe with the tubular side steps was that they didn’t cover the body side seams. These RC steps were perfect because they wrap around the underside of the body and sit against the body seams with about a quarter of an inch of space. Well machined powder coated steel and a quick personal install. Couldn’t recommend more!
35EE6B25-B4E9-4DE8-B307-6BF47FDCDAE0.jpeg
Are those the aluminum ones?
Sponsored

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
In case anyone is interested, here are the installation instructions for the Shrockworks sliders. I had their sliders on my Xterra and was quite pleased them. I'm in the market for sliders for my JLUR and pinged Shrockworks for more info on their solution - specifically, how are they mounted to the frame. While they still don't have any 4 door pictures on their site or social media, nor photos of how they mount, they did (finally) send me these instructions.

I do not own these sliders and have no experience with them on the Jeep platform. I'm just relaying some info as it seems there's not a lot out there and could be useful for folks...

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? shrockworks-sliders01

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? shrockworks-sliders02

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? shrockworks-sliders03

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
In case anyone is interested, here are the installation instructions for the Shrockworks sliders. I had their sliders on my Xterra and was quite pleased them. I'm in the market for sliders for my JLUR and pinged Shrockworks for more info on their solution - specifically, how are they mounted to the frame. While they still don't have any 4 door pictures on their site or social media, nor photos of how they mount, they did (finally) send me these instructions.

I do not own these sliders and have no experience with them on the Jeep platform. I'm just relaying some info as it seems there's not a lot out there and could be useful for folks...

shrockworks-sliders01.jpg

shrockworks-sliders02.jpg

shrockworks-sliders03.jpg
Was about to pull the trigger on these for my 2 door since they are one of the few that mount to frame except shipping was insane.
Decided I'm going to wait for White Knuckle Off Road to produce their 2 door rock sliders and order whichever fits the bill better: https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-4door-unlimited/

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
This is all about personal preference and how each of us utilize our vehicle. I tried to review this thread and don't believe the Smittybuilt side armor/steps for the JLU were mentioned.

Smittybuilt side armor is a perfect solution for our side step needs along with some moderate side protection. I've personally experienced large doors swinging in my JLUs direction that were stopped abruptly by these steps. Without them I would have had numerous side dings. The inconsiderate offending door opening people were not happy about the ding in their door though when hitting the side armor.

Now, as a "rock rail" that is a whole other question. However, this is my daily driver with only moderate trail / snow driving so not an issue.

20200612_174125.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
This is all about personal preference and how each of us utilize our vehicle. I tried to review this thread and don't believe the Smittybuilt side armor/steps for the JLU were mentioned.

Smittybuilt side armor is a perfect solution for our side step needs along with some moderate side protection. I've personally experienced large doors swinging in my JLUs direction that were stopped abruptly by these steps. Without them I would have had numerous side dings. The inconsiderate offending door opening people were not happy about the ding in their door though when hitting the side armor.

Now, as a "rock rail" that is a whole other question. However, this is my daily driver with only moderate trail / snow driving so not an issue.

20200612_174125.jpg
I had these same ones back on my 2012 JK 2 door and wheeled the crap out of it. They worked great and took a beating. Did have to touch them up once in a while and cleaning after a lot of mud was always fun (getting the underside fully clean was tough).

I am looking for something a bit “sleeker” this time around with 2 drop steps. Won’t be doing nearly as much good wheeling down here in Florida as I did when I lived in Ohio. Lots of good options showing in this thread

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Due to the flat, semi solid step for my dog, I'm thinking about the Rock Hard Patriot Rock Slider Flat step for my JLUR but I'm a little leery about breaking one of the red loctite bolts. I've done most of the work on my old TJ but I don't want to deal with a broken bolt with red loctite. So I called Jeep Customer Service about any warranty issues and they told me to contact my local Jeep dealership. Jeep Customer Service said they haven't hear anything about these bolts breaking.
I contacted a local dealership and they said that I shouldn't attempt taking out the bolt. I asked them what it would cost to loosen the bolts for me. They said that wasn't an option but they would install Mopar parts only. I told them it wasn't a Mopar step and they finally agreed to install what I bring in at $100/hr. I can't imagine it will take a dealership more than an hour.
They also said they haven't had any issues with these bolts. I find it weird that no one knows about this.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the LOD Destroyer sliders. Overall amazing as far as construction, fit, and finish. I found that a 2nd set of hands and a little wiggling was able to avoid having to loosen the 2 rear most body mount bolts. Here's some pics. #'s 3 and 4 are standing and 5/6 is crouching, which I had searched for but couldn't find any pics that weren't at an angle. I wanted a straight on shot to see how low they would hang and how much pinch seam they would block. Maybe these could help someone whose been looking for the same.
20200628_200601_resized.jpg
20200628_201143_resized.jpg
20200628_200307.jpg
20200628_200810.jpg
20200628_200357.jpg
20200628_200825.jpg

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I did these on a Rubicon. I like that the OEM Rock rails covered the gap, not exposing the sheet metal to frame but my wife struggled to get in as the Rubi is a bit high.

I ordered these Mopar Steps as I saw the following Rubi with them installed and liked the look.
Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 1594748875711

UNFORTUNATELY, as others have commented, these still leave a gap exposing the frame to body section.

Having said that, the pluses on these
- they are painted aluminum so lighter and won't have to ever worry about rust.
-much lighter than the rock rails
-nice and wide with a rugged but finished look. I think they are a good complement to the Rubicon rugged look while being "wife -city slicker" friendly. ;)
-Reasonably priced for Aluminum ($365? bam wholesale).
-100% easy swap with replacement bolts and nuts (which were lower gauge than the rock rail ones)

Minus:
-Mounting brackets are plastic. Say what..? I was shocked -BUT.. they are very sturdy - I am 200lbs+ and can jump up/down on the bars without any apparent flex.
-not concerned at all about durability of these and being plastic + aluminum, these will still look good after several MI winters.
-would not survive rock climbing nowhere near as robust as the rock rails - I can see why they are called "rock" rails now.

If you don't plan to go rock climbing and you can live with a small gap exposing the frame/body section, then these are a nice add-on at a reasonable price. They look far more substantial than the weight of these bars.

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Due to the flat, semi solid step for my dog, I'm thinking about the Rock Hard Patriot Rock Slider Flat step for my JLUR but I'm a little leery about breaking one of the red loctite bolts. I've done most of the work on my old TJ but I don't want to deal with a broken bolt with red loctite. So I called Jeep Customer Service about any warranty issues and they told me to contact my local Jeep dealership. Jeep Customer Service said they haven't hear anything about these bolts breaking.
I contacted a local dealership and they said that I shouldn't attempt taking out the bolt. I asked them what it would cost to loosen the bolts for me. They said that wasn't an option but they would install Mopar parts only. I told them it wasn't a Mopar step and they finally agreed to install what I bring in at $100/hr. I can't imagine it will take a dealership more than an hour.
They also said they haven't had any issues with these bolts. I find it weird that no one knows about this.
There is definitely no red "permanent" loctite on these bolts. The would never use red loctite for a body part that could have to be replaced due to damage. In fact, on my Rubicon rock rail bolts, there was not even blue loctite. The nuts and washers are etched and not flat so they are designed to stay tight.

I swapped my Rubicon Rock Rails for Mopar Aluminum Step bars in less than an hour with a standard ratchet set. I also own a torque wrench and tightened them to factory spec with the provided instructions.

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...0PXVubGltaXRlZC1ydWJpY29uJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM=

It's 6 bolts and 12 nuts altogether. I sure hope they don't try to charge you more than an hour's labor.

Heck, the jeep is high enough, I just slide under the edge w a garage creeper. No need to buy a creeper for this job, but a little more comfortable than lying on the ground.

Good luck!

Sponsored

VS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ferrari 550, Honda S2000, VW GLI
I used to have Schrockworks rails on my old JKU. Those were very good quality and it was obvious after owning that Jeep for more than 12 years that they did the powder coating properly as it didn't rust/flake until many years into ownership. On the other hand other steel accessories on my old Jeep that were powder coated flaked/rusted much more quickly. So, I can recommend the Schrockworks stuff without hesitation.

On my new JLUR, I'm going to go with aluminum for any accessories as I just hate dealing with rusted stuff. So this time I've ordered LOD Armor Lite sliders.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Those look good. I like not having to remove my factory rails. Are they pretty stout? How are they as a step up aid?
I'm tall enough that I don't need the aid but my passengers use it as a step. My dog uses it as a step to. If that's what you want to use them as, I would suggest adding a non-skid tape so people's feet won't slip off. And they are stout...feel free to park close in any shopping mall and let people ruin their doors and not yours :D

Clubmud

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 3.6l. 2004 Dodge Quad 2500 Laramie 5.9l Cummins
I'm tall enough that I don't need the aid but my passengers use it as a step. My dog uses it as a step to. If that's what you want to use them as, I would suggest adding a non-skid tape so people's feet won't slip off. And they are stout...feel free to park close in any shopping mall and let people ruin their doors and not yours :D
Great, thanks for the reply. I'm actually tall enough too but sounds like they'll save some dent heartache.
Much appreciated.

Red Rock N Roll

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
International Quality Control Manager
I took my Mopar Rubicon Rails off last night and put Rough Country Side Steps on, each side has three frame bolts and six bolts into the pinch weld, the rails came off easy and I put the RC Side Steps on by myself in about an hour after a trip to Ace Hardware for some more black washers. They are solid steps!!!

RC Side Steps 2.jpg
Sponsored