Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Looks good Whisky19.

Now you just need to cover up that pinch weld. Bushwacker makes a nice door sill/rocker cover for the 2 door JL (Bushwacker 14095 Trail Armor Door Sill & Rocker Panel Cover).

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-1...ywords=Bushwacker+14095&qid=1590678162&sr=8-1

You can thank me later for helping spend more of your money :)
Ohhhhh. So this actually covers the exposed area between the door frame and side step? Wow, never thought of that to be honest.
Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Ohhhhh. So this actually covers the exposed area between the door frame and side step? Wow, never thought of that to be honest.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does. I know I've seen at least one thread on the forum talking about the Bushwacker Trail Armor Door Sill & Rocker Panel Cover, so there have to be a few people who have installed them.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does. I know I've seen at least one thread on the forum talking about the Bushwacker Trail Armor Door Sill & Rocker Panel Cover, so there have to be a few people who have installed them.
Thanks. Hopefully I can find some install pics. The exposed space doesn’t bother that much as it’s relatively easy to clean, but some form of covering would look sharp

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I'm looking at some running boards/sliders that aren't too wide or ostentatious. I don't plan on any serious rock crawling/off-roading, so these are mainly going to be used as a step and to obscure the pinch weld on my HellaYella Unliminted Sport S.

My preference is the Mopar Performance Rock Rails that came stock on the Rubi Recon because they're understated, and small enough to not smack my shins when loading my toddler in the Jeep but wide enough to be used as a step when needed. My concern is mainly the price - $725 is the cheapest I can find online and that seems quite a bit more than other options.

Alternates are the Go Rhino D6 Rock Sliders ($440) and the JCR Offroad Classic Rock Sliders ($600). The Go Rhino seems pretty wide and mixed bag of reviews on ease of install. The JCR to me seem very sturdy and look better than the Go Rhino. But at $600 vs. $725 for the performance Mopar rails I might just go with the Mopar.

Any thoughts? I know this is pretty subjective, especially since I don't really forsee needing a hardcore rock rail. I straight-up hate the plastic Sahara step and the basic Rubicon rocker guard doesn't seem to stick out enough to serve as a step.

If anyone can weigh in, I'd really appreciate it.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I'm looking at some running boards/sliders that aren't too wide or ostentatious. I don't plan on any serious rock crawling/off-roading, so these are mainly going to be used as a step and to obscure the pinch weld on my HellaYella Unliminted Sport S.

My preference is the Mopar Performance Rock Rails that came stock on the Rubi Recon because they're understated, and small enough to not smack my shins when loading my toddler in the Jeep but wide enough to be used as a step when needed. My concern is mainly the price - $725 is the cheapest I can find online and that seems quite a bit more than other options.

Alternates are the Go Rhino D6 Rock Sliders ($440) and the JCR Offroad Classic Rock Sliders ($600). The Go Rhino seems pretty wide and mixed bag of reviews on ease of install. The JCR to me seem very sturdy and look better than the Go Rhino. But at $600 vs. $725 for the performance Mopar rails I might just go with the Mopar.

Any thoughts? I know this is pretty subjective, especially since I don't really forsee needing a hardcore rock rail. I straight-up hate the plastic Sahara step and the basic Rubicon rocker guard doesn't seem to stick out enough to serve as a step.

If anyone can weigh in, I'd really appreciate it.
I am a fan of the Iron Cross Rocker Step Boards. They are subtle and the finish has held up well so far. Plus, they offer a 5-year finish warranty.

http://www.ironcrossautomotive.com/shop/ICJEEPGPJL3000.html

Sponsored

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
I am very happy with the Rock Slide Engineering rails. My wife originally said she would never get in the jeep. Now every time I use it she wants to come along. She couldn't get into the jeep without the folding step.
My wife is in the same boat. How is the operation with the doors off? Is it easy to set up and use ?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
My wife is in the same boat. How is the operation with the doors off? Is it easy to set up and use ?
I haven't had the doors off yet. It looks like a small magnet is attached to the inside of the door. Either Rock Slide Engineering has a magnet or maybe a little one will work.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Can anyone share with me if the LOD Destroyers are a good option for trying to add some protection for the rear fenders? Or what some good options are?

I've literally had my jeep for 3 days and already have a rock chip on my rear fender... Assuming it's the front wheel flicking rocks out.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
My iron
Can anyone share with me if the LOD Destroyers are a good option for trying to add some protection for the rear fenders? Or what some good options are?

I've literally had my jeep for 3 days and already have a rock chip on my rear fender... Assuming it's the front wheel flicking rocks out.
I'd like to know, too. My Iron Cross steps have been awesome with blocking rocks from being thrown up but I really like the LODs. I have been hesitant to to buy them for this very reason.

brendent16

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just installed these Rough Country Contoured Side Steps for the Rubicon. I’m gonna share some thoughts and a little on my thought process if anyone needs help! I wanted a set of steps that sat flush against the body and that matched the Jeeps styling. My biggest gripe with the tubular side steps was that they didn’t cover the body side seams. These RC steps were perfect because they wrap around the underside of the body and sit against the body seams with about a quarter of an inch of space. Well machined powder coated steel and a quick personal install. Couldn’t recommend more!
Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 35EE6B25-B4E9-4DE8-B307-6BF47FDCDAE0
Sponsored