Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
For those of you who mess around in rocks, what have you found to be the best for protection of the body? I've had a few close calls with the stock rubicon rails and need to put something in place that protrudes more to stop damage when sliding on rocks/mud into walls/outcroppings. The stock don't cut it in this aspect. I like the look of the Mopar performance rails but have seen how they bend and flex into the body leading to damage (just like my rear steel bumper has already done on me) so I'm looking for something a lot more sturdy.
We have zero problem saying ours our the strongest bolt-on rails available. Will not bend, easily supports the weight of the Jeep.

Learn more:
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/category_s/487.htm

RH-90104-2T.jpg
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
We have zero problem saying ours our the strongest bolt-on rails available. Will not bend, easily supports the weight of the Jeep.

Learn more:

RH-90104-2T.jpg
If I were to drop down onto the tube frame from a reasonable height (not a hypothetical cliff drop, but a few feet like can be expected off-road), the mounting solution using the pinch welds and body bolts I see would be enough to avoid having the sliders flex up into the body? If so - I'm sold, those look like exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to make sure they can handle a reasonable drop, and then lateral impacts when sliding sideways.

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If I were to drop down onto the tube frame from a reasonable height (not a hypothetical cliff drop, but a few feet like can be expected off-road), the mounting solution using the pinch welds and body bolts I see would be enough to avoid having the sliders flex up into the body? If so - I'm sold, those look like exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to make sure they can handle a reasonable drop, and then lateral impacts when sliding sideways.
These are the same rail and tube design as our JK sliders, but actually much stronger thanks to the extra mounting locations the JL has. We are able to install through the pinch weld, body mount locations using 3/8" thick plate, and into the floor (existing holes) using 3/16" thick steel plate. Tubing is .120 wall, same as our cages.

I can't answer a hypothetical on exactly what distance your Wrangler can fall on them, too many variables. I can tell you that they are absolutely strong enough to put the weight of your JL on to use as a Hi-Lift jack point.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! They both have been a work In progress for months and just now becoming available.
As far as the wheels... I assume you have them also, did you have any issues with the bead lock ring being to big? I had to machine 1/4” off the OD to get them to fit inside the rim protector of my nittos.
Any word when these will be out? I'm tired of looking at crap that I cannot buy :)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Learn more:

RH-90104-2T.jpg
So your rocker guard is mounted to the frame and body, I would think that would cause some issues with natural body flex. The frame is fixed while the body is somewhat isolated with rubber flexable mounts. Or am I wrong about this?

What is the total weight?

Can I customize the rocker? Instead of seeing the tubes I would like to have plate a crossed the top. This would keep mud, stones, whatever from being flicked up into the body.

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
100% Bolt On and Frame Mounted! :rock:
If only the pinch seam was covered :(

That's the thing that kills me and made me turn away from a lot of solid options. I don't want to see that. I want it covered or to have the rail high enough on the body that you can't see it

Deleted member 29342

If you remove the stock rack slider in the Rubicon, do you have to remove the body bolt that many people have broke?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

That's the thing that kills me and made me turn away from a lot of solid options. I don't want to see that. I want it covered or to have the rail high enough on the body that you can't see it
I agree, but looks are definitely secondary for ME. LOD also has a destroyer model that will cover it up and has more ground clearance then their sig series RG. It's not as stout or as hard core as the sig series though. but it's still frame mounted and allegedly will take a good hit . I cant make up my mind which one I'd go with.

Still looking at various brands.

Sponsored

R 3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.r3offroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon 2008 jku 2006 lj
Any word when these will be out? I'm tired of looking at crap that I cannot buy :)
We are in the process of having our new web site built with more shipping options than our l current site allows, they are available for sale at this time just by phone until our new site launches.
Feel free to call me with any questions
Thanks
Matt,

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Check out the likes of:
Evo
JCR Crusader
Poison Spyder

These all have pinch seam/rocker armor as well as the slider, and are all frame mounted.

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
So your rocker guard is mounted to the frame and body, I would think that would cause some issues with natural body flex. The frame is fixed while the body is somewhat isolated with rubber flexable mounts. Or am I wrong about this?

What is the total weight?

Can I customize the rocker? Instead of seeing the tubes I would like to have plate a crossed the top. This would keep mud, stones, whatever from being flicked up into the body.
Any update on this question about the mounting and flexing. Makes sense that this is/could be an issue.

@ROCK HARD 4X4

yelxab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just installed the LOD Destroyer sliders this AM. Super easy install; took about 2.5 hrs as a leisurely one person job. 7yr old is pumped he can easily get in now.