Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

MarkW

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I installed a set of ROAM side steps today, and I think they look great with the factory fenders!
DSC_0941.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG
Ordered mine today. Thanks for the info. Question... did you hook up the led lights on the Roam steps? If so can you explain how? In sync with the interior light?
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine today. Thanks for the info. Question... did you hook up the led lights on the Roam steps? If so can you explain how? In sync with the interior light?
I haven't wired up the lights yet. If I have some free time this weekend I will wire them up and post some pictures/info.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
I am looking for some too. Canā€™t find what I want. Here is what they need to do: Provide Rock rail protection, Have no big gaps so my dogs legs donā€™t fall through, Be bolt on, Donā€™t have to remove stock rubicon rock rails. Be smooth no drop down step
This sounds very good to me . . . . I would add, Be compatible with Mud Flaps.

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@ROAM any chance you can comment on these rails as an armor/rock rail substitute?
The OE JL Rubicon rock rails are body mounted. While the OE JL Rubicon rock rails should bear the weight of the vehicle (forklift test), they're actually not meant to be load bearing because they're body mounted. The "rock rails" description actually refers to deflecting rocks that are kicked up as opposed to "rock sliders" which are more of an underframe skid plate. In my opinion, the primary issue with adding any sort of underframe skid plate meant to protect the frame rails themselves is that you will lose ground clearance where the skid plate is attached. While there are solutions on other vehicles where they're advertised as allowing you to drag your vehicle over rocks and debris, if anyone actually attempts something like that the odds of getting high centered are pretty high. To clarify, in our opinion, avoiding the rocks will be safer than dragging/sliding your Jeep over them. On our JL Side Armor Steps, the mounting brackets sit higher than the lowest part of the OE body mount brackets.

The wiring harness should be connected to the door lights. I've attached an image below of what they'll look like when they're on.

Thanks

ROAM - Front Bumper - 1000x1000.jpg

ROAM - JL Side Armor Steps - 1000x1000 001.jpg

ROAM - JL Side Armor Steps - 1920x480 006.jpg

ROAM - JL Front Bumper - 1920x933 002.jpg

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
The OE JL Rubicon rock rails are body mounted. While the OE JL Rubicon rock rails should bear the weight of the vehicle (forklift test), they're actually not meant to be load bearing because they're body mounted. The "rock rails" description actually refers to deflecting rocks that are kicked up as opposed to "rock sliders" which are more of an underframe skid plate. In my opinion, the primary issue with adding any sort of underframe skid plate meant to protect the frame rails themselves is that you will lose ground clearance where the skid plate is attached. While there are solutions on other vehicles where they're advertised as allowing you to drag your vehicle over rocks and debris, if anyone actually attempts something like that the odds of getting high centered are pretty high. To clarify, in our opinion, avoiding the rocks will be safer than dragging/sliding your Jeep over them. On our JL Side Armor Steps, the mounting brackets sit higher than the lowest part of the OE body mount brackets.

The wiring harness should be connected to the door lights. I've attached an image below of what they'll look like when they're on.

Thanks

ROAM - Front Bumper - 1000x1000.jpg

ROAM - JL Side Armor Steps - 1000x1000 001.jpg

ROAM - JL Side Armor Steps - 1920x480 006.jpg

ROAM - JL Front Bumper - 1920x933 002.jpg
Sold on these! Pm sent

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Those look very good

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I like the way these finish to the fenders.

Chowbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Those steps look awesome. Might have to swap out my mopar ones....

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I really like those Roam side steps. I have been trying to find a good solution to help for my wife and daughter get in and out of the jeep, and I think this is it.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Tried to order the ROAM ones, but the site just shows them - and can't order them :(

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Tried to order the ROAM ones, but the site just shows them - and can't order them :(
I listed their contact info a few posts up.
ROAM Offroad Contact:
Anthony
[email protected] (Email preferred)
Phone: 832-559-1969

$299 + $50 shipping
Next batch will be available in 3-4 weeks.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I haven't wired up the lights yet. If I have some free time this weekend I will wire them up and post some pictures/info.
Chris...Have you had a chance to wire the step lights yet. Was wondering if you did and if you can share how you did that?

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase