Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Hey @ROAM, thinking about ordering today :) What’s your delivery time like right now for Ohio?

Also, I see a spot on your checkout page for a coupon code. Do we have one for the forum?

EE691164-E002-4317-9AF3-12B80112A3A6.png
Sponsored

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Success!! Followed TTEChris’ excellant instructions for install and wiring....except, for the life of me I could not get the wires through the firewall plug. Every time I tried to pull the coat hanger with the wire through, the wire would strip off. Finally said “screw this” and went through the drain hole in the floor, running the wire under the carpet. Works fine. I’ll soft caulk around the plug later to keep water out. Thanks Chris!
B1243731-8A1D-4204-8F30-EAEF47D1A026.jpeg
7F11B027-A103-4054-8084-90D1495DC70D.jpeg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Success!! Followed TTEChris’ excellant instructions for install and wiring....except, for the life of me I could not get the wires through the firewall plug. Every time I tried to pull the coat hanger with the wire through, the wire would strip off. Finally said “screw this” and went through the drain hole in the floor, running the wire under the carpet. Works fine. I’ll soft caulk around the plug later to keep water out. Thanks Chris!
B1243731-8A1D-4204-8F30-EAEF47D1A026.jpeg
7F11B027-A103-4054-8084-90D1495DC70D.jpeg
Looks awesome!!
For the wire through the rubber grommet I used the pigtail end of a coat hanger (when you unwind the end with the hook) then I wrapped the wire around the pigtail and taped it up. Cutting the coathanger at an angle helped pierce the grommet easily and when wrapped that way I never had an issue pulling wires through(I've done several ROAM steps and CB radio installs this way now.)
I need to wire up my forward facing camera, I'm not so convinced I will be able to get the video cable through in the same manner. For my air compressor I removed some plastic plug that was painted body color under the carpet near the rear sear(not the rubber drain plugs) I drilled through it and sealed it with some silicone afterwards. I haven't looked if there is anything similar in the front under the carpet. I dont want to to go through the drain plugs that tie into my floor mats....

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Chris: I see what you’re saying. I may revisit getting the wire through there now. Thanks for another good tip.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I need to wire up my forward facing camera, I'm not so convinced I will be able to get the video cable through in the same manner.
You are awesome - you help so many people out here.

I’m considering ordering the roam steps, and if I do, I’ll be using your guide.

I’m also planning on getting a front facing camera to go with my Tazer, and it sounds like you may have figured that install out, too, by the time my camera arrives! Thank you!

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today on the @IronCrossAutomotive option. They had pretty good communication with me overall, and I think their steps look the cleanest. I like the more understated look of them.

The price helped too, especially with the discount code that they have for forum members.

ROAM was a close second, but I just couldn’t get much information from them (somewhat standoffish reply via PM that simply redirected me to send an email, lol). I love the way the ROAM steps look, but am also excited about the understated look of the Iron Cross.

I’ll post up pics once installed. Thanks to all for the help in here.

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
Can anyone who owns the Ace sliders help me? I’m curious if they also seem to help keep the rocks from sandblasting the body on gravel roads.
I’d like to have some beefier sliders that almost double duty as a running board.
Or if anyone has another suggestion on brand I’d be open to ideas, the sliders seem limited at the moment for the 2 doors.
Thanks

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Can anyone who owns the Ace sliders help me? I’m curious if they also seem to help keep the rocks from sandblasting the body on gravel roads.
I’d like to have some beefier sliders that almost double duty as a running board.
Or if anyone has another suggestion on brand I’d be open to ideas, the sliders seem limited at the moment for the 2 doors.
Thanks
I got the 2nd set of Ace sliders for the JLU and have no gravel damage to the fenders or hinges. I do hear a lot of rocks pinging off the sliders as I have done quite a bit of gravel roads. I didn't think they would protect so well as there is a gap, but they have performed well. And they are beefy, true sliders.

Sponsored

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Just test mounted my JCR classic rock sliders before taking it in for powder coating. The fitment was perfect.

slider2.jpg

slider1.jpg

slider 3.jpg
Looks nice! I've been considering going with their Crusader sliders, but I'm not sure if I want to go with such a permanent solution just yet(Drilling holes in the body) Also, I'm not certain it will work with my long arm kit without modification.

mbrindley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can anyone share the weight of the Roam Side Steps? I'm considering Roam and ACE as additions to my 2018 JLU Rubi.
Sponsored