Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
at least a 1/2 drive, and breaker bar. autozone loans torque wrenches, and get a friend to help. just take it slow during the initial removal. thats where i was reading people were having issues. i had to get the 1/2 drive, 18 mm socket and breaker bar because i didnt have them. Its good to have more tools though. Its definitely a DIY job. I hope your install goes well
Thanks So Much! I hope it goes well too, Some of this issues I have seen are worrying me a little.I really appreciate it!!!
Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
Thanks So Much! I hope it goes well too, Some of this issues I have seen are worrying me a little.I really appreciate it!!!
For what it's worth I only saved 50 dollars over having the dealership do it.

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
ROAM, my rails arrived today, impeccably packed, all parts and bolts present and accounted for, safe and sound. Looks great. Going to follow Chris’ instructions for wiring the lights and then get them mounted. Thanks for a very nice product indeed!

4BF3732D-ECC4-48A8-A0E1-9453AEAA6492.jpeg
50F92141-34F1-42DF-9DDA-0973C4DC15E2.jpeg

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
and while I was at it, decided to paint the pinch seams. This is a very good option for people who can't stand them, specially if you have a light color jeep.

20180727_172116.jpg
Nice job on the pinch seam. I'll have to remember this when I buy my JL.

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
8BF62A86-85B4-4269-9C17-FCBDFC379381.jpeg
300F1B57-625C-40B7-B37F-A3BB6A05C486.jpeg
For what it's worth I only saved 50 dollars over having the dealership do it.
Just wanted to say a very great full Thanks to citizen z and everyone else on this post!!! Installed my ace sliders tonight, a little cracking from the front bolts but no issues. 45 min. Install. Again you guys are the best! I love them they look awesome. Ace makes a great product!

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
8BF62A86-85B4-4269-9C17-FCBDFC379381.jpeg
300F1B57-625C-40B7-B37F-A3BB6A05C486.jpeg

Just wanted to say a very great full Thanks to citizen z and everyone else on this post!!! Installed my ace sliders tonight, a little cracking from the front bolts but no issues. 45 min. Install. Again you guys are the best! I love them they look awesome. Ace makes a great product!
looks great

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
For those that have received their ROAM steps here is a very simple/short walk through of the install process. Sorry for the crappy pictures, started late and wanted to get home to my wife/kids.
For Starters the three brackets for the steps are marked on the bag, and all have little indexing holes(one, two or three depending on location.) One goes in the front, three in the back. I'm sure you can guess where two goes ;)
20180718_181605_resized.jpg

Once you go to put them on the Jeep pay attention to the size of the holes in the pinch seem. Roam has included two different size bolts due to this variation. The small holes get a black bolt with a washer, and the large holes get the longer/larger bolts with the 13mm head.
The center mount is the only one that has two larger holes. I like to put the bolts in the brackets finger tight with nuts behind the pinch seem, then install the bolt from the bottom also finger tight(I used the factory Rubicon bolts here, but they included extra black bolts/washers if you didn't have the Rubicon rails.)
Once you have the brackets loosely installed lay the ROAM steps on top of the brackets and thread in the shorter bolts/washers but don't tighten them at this point. I like to push them all the way outwards until I have tightened the brackets. From this point I like to tighten the three bolts that go into the tub first making sure the brackets stay flush with the pinch seem while doing so. Once they are tight, go ahead and tighen the 6 bolts/nuts that go through the brackets and through the pinch seem.
bracket1.jpg

Now you can go about adjusting the preferred gap for the steps. I like it a little loose, so I double up a piece of cardboard and insert it at both ends. While applying a little pressure I lightly tighten one of the bolts in the front or rear. I then move to the opposite end and did the same. Once the spacing looks correct I tighten them all. Be careful as when tightening some of the bolts the steps may want to move(Keep applying a little pressure inwards.)
20180718_194743_resized.jpg

Done!
finished.jpg
@TTEChris what did you torque the bolts at?

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
How did you black out the Roam logo? and does this actually work as a step? Example will short women or older people get to that as a step? Thanks!
Just curious because you mentioned them being used as a step would really depend on what size lift, did you put any more lift on yours? Or is it stock height? I'm looking to add some steps for my parents if needed. Thanks

Sponsored

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
unnamed1.jpg
I installed the Rock Sliders from Ace Engineering. They fit perfectly. It was a pain getting the mounting bolts off though.

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed2.jpg
Thanks for posting - those seem to fit farther away from the body than I expected. Good protection though!

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Just curious because you mentioned them being used as a step would really depend on what size lift, did you put any more lift on yours? Or is it stock height? I'm looking to add some steps for my parents if needed. Thanks
I've been on the fence. I plan to do the Mopar lift which although advertised as a 2" almost gives you 3" from what I've read/seen online. This with 35" tires I feel will make it harder for at least older people to get in. Now others have chimed in about it being at least a full step surface unlike nerf steps that just have a smaller stepping area. It almost seems like you'd have to wing it and hopefully it doesn't become too tall to be used as a step. I wish someone would make a video that's lifted with 35" tires to see them step in it and out of.

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
I've been on the fence. I plan to do the Mopar lift which although advertised as a 2" almost gives you 3" from what I've read/seen online. This with 35" tires I feel will make it harder for at least older people to get in. Now others have chimed in about it being at least a full step surface unlike nerf steps that just have a smaller stepping area. It almost seems like you'd have to wing it and hopefully it doesn't become too tall to be used as a step. I wish someone would make a video that's lifted with 35" tires to see them step in it and out of.
I ordered the Roam steps today! Not only have I seen great comments on the product, but Anthony was very quick to get back with me and answer all of my questions. Making my decision with those two things alone was enough to make my decision. Can't wait to get them!

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Ordered my Roam Steps today! Can’t wait to get them.
Sponsored