Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Have you emailed us asking about your purchase? We don't see an order from Oregon this week. PayPal sends you a confirmation of your payment and they will also send you your tracking number.
ROAM, thanks for the follow up. I did receive a payment confirmation from Pay Pal and late yesterday a UPS tracking number. Don’t know why you don’t show an order from Oregon when it shows as “In Transit.” In any event, again, thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to putting these on the Jeep.
Sponsored

Jeep RamRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL 2018 Rubicon
Hey Everyone,

I just bought the 2018 JL Rubicon unlimited and am looking to add some side steps. I like the look of these ROAM side steps, but I'm a bit confused about the price as several of you said they cost $300 +$50 shipping and when I look at them on their site it shows them at $400 +$50 shipping. Did they recently jack up the price? Seems like a pretty large increase to me considering all the complaints of them arriving scratched up to hell. I tried emailing Anthony at Roam a week ago, but never received a response. Also, what has the average wait time of these arriving after ordering looked like for you guys?

Thanks!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone,

I just bought the 2018 JL Rubicon unlimited and am looking to add some side steps. I like the look of these ROAM side steps, but I'm a bit confused about the price as several of you said they cost $300 +$50 shipping and when I look at them on their site it shows them at $400 +$50 shipping. Did they recently jack up the price? Seems like a pretty large increase to me considering all the complaints of them arriving scratched up to hell. I tried emailing Anthony at Roam a week ago, but never received a response. Also, what has the average wait time of these arriving after ordering looked like for you guys?

Thanks!

$300 was the introductory pricing. They have since gone back up to retail pricing of $400 from my understanding.
I'm local, so I can't tell you what the wait time is but from what I understand they have these in stock now.
I'm sure they are giving UPS hell for how the packages are arriving. I've had three sets personally delivered to me and they were all packaged nicely with zero blemishes. The boxes are fairly large/heavy so I'm sure UPS isn't enjoying lugging them around especially if they only have one person handling them.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roam steps....i missed the pre production deal and i bought them at $400+shipping and i think they are well built and look great. Certainly a better deal than mopar.
Install was simple. They were packed well but ups clearly tossed them around. Mine had some minor scratches....but nothing i probably wont do to them on my own through use. My only nit to pick is that a plug and play harness should be an option for the lights. That said, i am very pleased with my purchase even at $400

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
20180805_072950.jpg
20180805_072915.jpg
I bought the Roam steps when it was at the introductory and they came in before my Rubicon did in perfect shape. The step install was easy enough. I love the fit and looks, It also protects from rocks. I'm still trying to find time to install the lights. They are made with heavy gauge steel and I feel would protect in a roll over and side impact.
My only complaint and safety warning is the lip of the step sticks up a bit and is sharp. My foot slipped on the step and the lip took off a 1" dia. chunk of my skin down to the bone on my shin. It hurt like hell. I don't want to grind down the lip but it may be the only fix besides being more careful. I was wondering if someone had an idea to lay a rubber edge to prevent a future four letter word rants. Maybe a Rhino or Line-x coating with a extra thick coating on the edge.

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Hey guys, I’m between this (Roam) and rough country/N-FAB nerf side steps. My wife has a lot of trouble getting in my Jeep with 35” tires. I also plan on a 2.5” lift in the near future. My question is how do these 2 steps compare? Does the Roam offer a similar step to the nerf or is the nerf a true step? If the nerf is easier to get into I’m going to have to pick function over form. The real question is will a 5 foot 3 lady or 70+ year olds be able to use these Roams on a Jeep with 35” tires and a 2.5” lift as a step? I wish I had both steps side by side to compare. My fear is the Roam with the 35 and 2.5 will no longer function as a step that’s easy to get onto for my wife and parents. Thanks guys please let me know.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Hey guys, I’m between this (Roam) and rough country/N-FAB nerf side steps. My wife has a lot of trouble getting in my Jeep with 35” tires. I also plan on a 2.5” lift in the near future. My question is how do these 2 steps compare? Does the Roam offer a similar step to the nerf or is the nerf a true step? If the nerf is easier to get into I’m going to have to pick function over form. The real question is will a 5 foot 3 lady or 70+ year olds be able to use these Roams on a Jeep with 35” tires and a 2.5” lift as a step? I wish I had both steps side by side to compare. My fear is the Roam with the 35 and 2.5 will no longer function as a step that’s easy to get onto for my wife and parents. Thanks guys please let me know.
I have the ROAM steps and I feel that the stepping surface would be better for your needs since it is an overall larger footing surface if that make sense. The tubular step is much smaller. Looks will play a role in this also. Everyone will have different preferences. For 70+ year olds, I would go with the larger step surface for safety.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I specifically opted for sliders with a flat step over the nerf side steps to have a larger surface/step area for my mom, and because it gives my Jeep a little protection from car doors. I think the ROAM steps would better suit your purpose from what I have seen, but I don't have them to speak from experience.

396_425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Received my ROAM steps and installed them yesterday. Package was delivered in great shape with no damage and product was carefully wrapped. The install was very easy, probably an hour start to finish. My body bolts came out without any prying or pulling on the bolt. The brackets and steps fit well and look very good. This project would not have been as easy if it were not for Thundermuffin's easy to follow instructions. ROAM sends no instructions with the steps and the large bag of bolts, washers, and nuts could lead to confusion without Thunder's instructions, but great product!

jmac1398

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@018 Wrangler jl sport s 2 door
Anyone have any idea when the Roam side steps will be available for the Wrangler jl 2 door.

Sponsored

ale214

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
SEVERAL posts back I asked about caps or plugs for the holes where the lights are on the ROAM sidesteps. Either nobody answered or I missed a response. They appear to be 3/8”. I bought these at Lowes and, in the dark, they look to be a perfect fit. I will update tomorrow with a picture of them in the sidesteps as I didn’t have my phone with me when I test fitted one tonight.
C4C0E7F0-A6A8-4E21-BA8A-F37491DF4E60.jpeg
B4DCA6A1-9C5A-414F-AAA2-90852A49A611.jpeg

Update with new pictures. They do seem to fit perfectly.

035C032D-81AB-49AF-8979-BEFF33B4ACD4.jpeg
7DD15878-3A7D-4338-93AC-0B30988F3E1B.jpeg
Thanks. I decided against lights and these plugs worked perfectly. They look like they were meant to be there.

396_425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Ale214, I removed the LEDs during installation and didn't know whether to plug the holes or just leave them. Those plugs look great, that's what I'm doing...

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
unnamed1.jpg
I installed the Rock Sliders from Ace Engineering. They fit perfectly. It was a pain getting the mounting bolts off though.

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
at least a 1/2 drive, and breaker bar. autozone loans torque wrenches, and get a friend to help. just take it slow during the initial removal. thats where i was reading people were having issues. i had to get the 1/2 drive, 18 mm socket and breaker bar because i didnt have them. Its good to have more tools though. Its definitely a DIY job. I hope your install goes well
Sponsored