Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
79338FA4-2EAC-467A-8E84-59E41DC35A78.jpeg
169BF260-FF13-4EC2-8927-8ABE2EDCC9C7.jpeg
ROAM steps installed. Very happy!
Got my ROAM boards today and even though the box was pretty well beat up, the was only a few minor scratches on them. Now if I could get FCA to sell me a JLRU to put them on all would be great!

PikNik17

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
i received my Roam side steps on Friday. Box was a little beat up, but definitely not shredded like others have mentioned. The steps were well protected inside the box with lots of foam wrap. After reading the installation steps that @TTEChris wrote up, I was able to install the steps by myself in about an hour. Very simple and straight forward. The steps look great and I have received multiple compliments from co-workers without even mentioning the steps. A huge improvement in looks and functionality. Thanks Anthony @ Roam

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Rather than return my steps I'm going to repaint. Any suggestions for a black paint? I'm considering something like Line-X or Rhino-liner but I'm looking for plain ole spray paint solutions as well..

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Rather than return my steps I'm going to repaint. Any suggestions for a black paint? I'm considering something like Line-X or Rhino-liner but I'm looking for plain ole spray paint solutions as well..
Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
^^ I might just go with that for now.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I used a two part spray called Raptor Liner on all my unfinished bumpers/sliders for the JK. It was extremely durable, easy to spray and get whichever texture you like. My only complaint is that it's a messy process. I usually line my garage walls/floors in tarps and then sprayed it.

Old picture from the first time I used the stuff on my bumper/grill
DSC_0227.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Sgt Beavis

Can tell you that the color is close to what the Rubi rails were colored. Many guys have been using it for Ace Slider's for a long time.
It is very easy to apply, looks good, durable and very easy to touch-up when needed. Your boots, dogs nails, etc. will scuff up/light scratch most any covering you use to include the original powder coating applied.. Just be sure to spray multiple LIGHT COATS and not try to spray any coats heavy. Let each coat dry lets say 10-15 min. before the next.

When you touch up, you can actually spray the truck bed coating on a clean, lint free rag and dab.. wipe the product on just say a scuffed area. The new coating that you are wiping on blends in almost perfectly.

I have been using this stuff on my Son's, Ace Sliders for a few years now. Really a good way to go. Stuff is inexpensive. Walmart, etc. sells it.

DO spray coat something else a bit to assure you like the color, etc. before you have at it on those Roam's.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
For you guys with the Roam steps/rock rails. They look great. Like the step and the additional protection from rocks etc thrown back from the front tires . How about the rock rail function. Are they at least as durable or provide enough protection as the standard Rubi rock rails do?

Sponsored

hotkarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door
Anything out there that offers decent protection from parking lot damage?
AKA something to prevent or minimize some schmuck from dinging the doors?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For you guys with the Roam steps/rock rails. They look great. Like the step and the additional protection from rocks etc thrown back from the front tires . How about the rock rail function. Are they at least as durable or provide enough protection as the standard Rubi rock rails do?
They are pretty darn solid but I wouldn't trust them as rock rails because they are mounted to the body instead of the frame. I don't intend to go rock crawling. I'm just going explore trails and do some camping with the family.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get an invalid email address error. I just sent something off to follow up on the damage UPS caused.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I’m expecting my Roam steps today. I will probably install without lights for now. Has anybody tried to fill or plug the holes for a cleaner look. What works?
Sponsored