Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

JeepWhealen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 JKU Sport S Current: 2023 Willys XR
Those look great! I installed a set of Ace rails that run with the OEM rubicon rails and RokBlokz mud flaps. Is your Willys a XR?

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0594.jpeg
That does look good! Nice that you can keep your OEM rails. I had to remove mine. Yes, it’s a Willys XR
Sponsored

myexcursion

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Rub X 4xe, 17 E Class, 07 XK Conv, 05 Jeep GC
Oedro Two Stairs Design OETESS-0031. On Oedro Site or Amazon (in and out of stock at Amazon at this link, sometimes only has the leaf design and not the stair design)

20220820_163945.jpg
Looks great ! I've been thinking of getting these myself. Do they use the body mount bolts ?

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR

myexcursion

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Rub X 4xe, 17 E Class, 07 XK Conv, 05 Jeep GC

MonsterTorch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ridgeline, Camaro, Scrambler, Scrambler
Occupation
Data Scientist
Hello, Thought I would share these as well since they are a fairly new option. Full Disclosure, these might not work for everyone based on my experience, but hopefully the information I provide will allow others to make an informed decision :)

We purchased our 2020 JLR July 1st 2023, and it came with a single M.O.R.E. Retractable step on the drivers side. I traded in our 2021 Bronco Badlands since I was tired of dealing with issues (and the dealership) for this Wrangler. The Bronco had Archetype Racing Magnum Stirrups, which we loved, and when I saw they offered Stirrups for the Jeep, I jumped on ordering them the night we brought the Jeep home.

As with everything from Archetype Racing, the orders take time to build and deliver. We received our Jeep Stirrups last Tuesday, and we have spent a week living with them, so I thought it would be good to share our experience. Here are the Stirrups:

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5170

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5171

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5172

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5173

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5175

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? IMG_5183

I have no affiliation with Archetype Racing other than being a repeat customer. I was super excited to get these. During the wait time, I researched the details of our JLR build, and discovered a few things that raised concerns for me. Our Jeep came with 35’s and a Metalcloak 2.5 inch Game Changer lift. With the door sills at 27 inches from the ground, my wife (5’4”) would struggle to get in and out, and I really did not like the M.O.R.E. Step, and had actually slipped and fallen once off the step. We were eager to get the new steps and be able to comfortably get into our Jeep. Unfortunately, with the steps installed, the 22.5-23 inch distance to the Stirrup, is still too high for us. For reference, the Bronco version had two mounting points, a high, and a low, and I simply assumed the Jeep version would follow this same pattern. Unfortunately, it does not. While the Stirrup does drop the distance by a good 4 to 4.5 inches, it is still too high for either of us to get in easily.

As a result, I sadly took the steps off yesterday, and replaced them with a short term option (RC Contour Steps) until next year when we will most likely install Rock Slide Engineering Steps. The good news is, the RC steps place the step bar at 20 inches which is enough for my wife to get in and out now without issue.

My thoughts on the Archetype Racing Stirrups…. As always, the build quality is top notch. All the parts came extremely well packaged, and there was no damage during shipping. All the bolts came pre-installed with anti-sieze as well. The installation was simple, and easily reversible for when you do not want the steps on (ie rock crawling). I really did not want to remove them, but I also need to be able to have my wife get in and out comfortably. If someone were to add these to a stock height Jeep, I do not think they would disappoint. Unfortunately, I ordered them before realizing how far above stock our Jeep was, and assumed there would be adjustability in the mounting points like the Bronco version provided.

To help others, I have provided a photo of the height measurements for reference, this way, others may make an informed decision on if these would work for you or not. hopefully others will find this information helpful. In the week we had them installed, I received lots of compliments. The steps look amazing, the power coating is top notch, and the mounting hardware is easy and straightforward to work with.

Sadly, i will be selling these once I repackage them back into their original shipping materials. Hopefully someone else will be able to use them. Have a great day, and thanks for reading this!

its_overson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon
I just installed the @GOAT FABRICATION Step Sliders. I swapped out the Rock Sliders for these because the wife needed a flatter step. I'm very impressed with the quality of these things. Super heavy-duty. The box said they weigh 95lbs. They feel every bit of that! Customer service was second to none. To say the least... I'm a huge fan!

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1239.jpeg
Sponsored