Sponsored

What should I expect from my dealer

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
The buyer is the victim when they are being taken advantage of by car salesman and finance managers that only see dollar signs.

There's really no way I can take your comment serious when you say "No one is being taken advantage of in any manner". You either work in the auto industry or are so naive about how the business works that you cannot see it.

These people are not your friends in any way and treating them that way or putting your guard down is going to do nothing but cost you money. They will try to pry it out of you in any way that can and have multiple ways to do when dealing with all aspect of your auto purchase.
This is really just simple economics. I am not in the automotive business. I am talking about basic economics. Every transaction is consensual, and if that is the case, then it is impossible to be ripped off. I am not saying they are ethical. I am not saying they don't lie. I am saying the consumer has a choice. It's called a free market. You are free to buy at the dealership or leave the dealership.

there are times that you can be ripped off such as going to a store and there is blatant CRIMINAL deception. But that is not we are talking about here.

if you go into a dealership and the dealer sells you a car that you are upside on by 3,000 dollars and then hits you with an 11% interest on the loan and you sign the papers, is the dealership being crooked or are you being stupid?

You are coming off as whiney when it is incumbent on the consumer to make a smart decision, which requires diligence and effort. You cannot be intellectually lazy or buy something based on being caught up in a greasy slicky sales presentation and then blame the dealer for your choice.

You seem to forget that the transaction is consensual. That's what makes it fair.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximusdafarmer

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
Step into the shoes of the dealership. Many customers don't read the owner's manual and bring their vehicle in for something already covered in the manual. Customers with unreasonable expectations of how fast, how cheap, what is wrong. If they have 30 to 40 service customers a day should they have brand new cars equivalent to each car that is serviced to give to the customers? Should they have Wolfgang Puk in the waiting room preparing snacks for them? Should they give higher pay to their technicians to lower turnover but then have to charge more for their services?

For all of the complaints I hear about dealers I wonder why the complainers don't open their own dealership and see if they can stay in business. Yes there are some bad dealers but they probably won't stay in business long. You can have it fast, or cheap or good but only two of them.
I can respect the point you are making here,but to me it is circular logic. Because a portion of customers are poorly educated and have an attitude, the dealerships are justified by responding in kind? I have no problem being treated how I treat other people, so treat the jerk customers like a jerk and treat the people who are respectful and knowledgeable well.

And I wouldn't open a restaurant because I got a shitty meal, suggesting I should open my own car dealership before making an judgement is a bit much. Owning a car dealership is a profitable venture, speaking in general terms. There are clearly a wide range of service and sales experiences from the same brand umbrella of dealerships, so a lot of that has to be attributed to how the dealership is run. Besides, I was honestly more opening this up as a debate to see how my experience differed from others with this brand or not. I was not very happy with the service, but I am not storming in there yelling at the service manager either. I shook his hand and looked him in the eye, I was frank about certain things and so was he and between us that was the end of it, and it ended respectfully. As a consumer, I am free to make a judgement though when as stated I can have it fast, cheap or good, and this was none of the above.

OP
OP
Maximusdafarmer

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
An interesting piece of reading on how manufacturers have slowly increased invoice price on cars (relative to MSRP) over the years, even since that information became more easily available to the public, precisely so they can trick people into thinking they are at bottom line when they are nowhere close.

https://clark.com/cars/eye-opening-truth-about-dealer-invoice-price/

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Contrary to what you may be insinuating, their mechanics are first class and know what they are doing. I can say the same for our BMW dealership. I know most of them and have had work done on my vehicles. My Jeep dealership has a great general manager. They do a lot of custom work to their Jeeps including snorkels, lifts, etc. I hope I don’t have to test their skills.
If you don't mind what Dealership is this that does quality workmanship ?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If you don't mind what Dealership is this that does quality workmanship ?
I can tell you that the Jeep dealer in San Clemente did really nice work. Their rates were the same as any of the local garages as well. They even worked on my Audi for me.
Sponsored