Sponsored

What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do?

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I think the best tips for a thread like this are the things you should do on any Wrangler because Stellantis didn't, and should have done it for you.

I'm not sure if this one was alread mentioned bt this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DI2E

tucked in between the fender flares and body to keep rocks and pebbles out has to be high on my list.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander
I think the best tips for a thread like this are the things you should do on any Wrangler because Stellantis didn't, and should have done it for you.

I'm not sure if this one was alread mentioned bt this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DI2E

tucked in between the fender flares and body to keep rocks and pebbles out has to be high on my list.
I went through all 35 pages of the link you sent. That is definitely a good one.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
Pipe insulation between seats and center console keeps me from dropping phone into the abyss and crashing while retrieving.

Bolt hood lock that learns OEM key. Mopar gas cap lock I built using the video (after becoming curious that there was only video format documentation and nothing text). Works with OEM key (unless you build wrong, but it wasn't bad). I have a hitch receiver lock too that learned OEM key.

Sliding windows. Guards optional. If installing guards, apparently all the drilling and tapping can be done more precisely and comfortably if mounted before the sliding window gets installed. I didn't and can appreciate drilling and tapping on a work bench horizontally. I was too anxious to have sliding windows and couldn't curb my enthusiasm.

KIMG0017_1.JPG

KIMG0025.JPG

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, post a pic of it.

Then remove those euro/aero bumper ends. You might want to get a fuel door for it. Drive it for a while then decide from there based on your needs and wants.

One thing I like about the Islander is the white top. But the silver wheels seem out of place. You might want to consider some of the white wheels out there by Quadratech or Fifteen 52.
Euro ends gone, but I only cut out the part I didn’t like.
I agree with the white wheels idea. Might get powder coated… but that’s for a later time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As it is a two door, take out the back seat if you don't normally have rear seat passengers. No tools needed, it takes like 5 minutes. Only other quality of life thing I would suggest getting immediatly is a dead pead (if you have an auto). Relatively cheap, super easy to install and I use it every time I drive.
Got the dead pedal. The JK needed it so that was already on my mind. Since I won’t have more than one passenger very often, the seat is out. Plenty of room in the back for my three dogs. I like it being a two seater anyway.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LED lights all around, dead pedal, gas door are some easy ones to start. I also don't like the 7" head unit so you could look for an upgrade there.
I’ll be putting my JK LED headlights into my JL once the converter bracket arrives, but I see the fogs can’t just switch. The LEDs are an amazing advancement over the halogens and I’m glad I don’t have to spend a huge pile of money because the can be moved from one Jeep to the other.
I already have a Stinger High10 coming. Excited to install that sucker.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most definitely on the LEDs, at least the headlights and fog lights.

I don't mind the Isalnder font, but I'd have to peel the little tiki voodoo doll off. That's just my opinion though.
I think I’ll actually add more Tikis to the indent in the middle of the front bumper. I wasn’t looking for it when considering a 2Dr JL, but the Islander aesthetic is really starting to talk to me…

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And invoke the curse??? Did you learn nothing from The Brady Bunch???
Sheee-oot. I may have to make a subtle Greg Brady sticker for one side, and a Vincent Price sticker on the other side….

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This-drive the darn thing and don’t spend your time/money worrying about modifications. There will always be somebody with a Jeep with more mods than yours, regardless of how much you spend. Enjoy what you have. If it goes where YOU want to go that’s all that’s needed. You do not have to be one of the “cool kids” with a “hey look at me” Jeep’ to have fun. It cracks me up to see kids put monster lifts and tires on new Jeeps and then loudly proclaim you have to do the same to use a Jeep off road😏. (Trying to justify “why?). It’s your money but do yourself a huge favor and actually DRIVE the way you normally will before you do anything else. You may surprise yourself. I’ve been fooling with off road for almost 50 years, I’ve never yet needed a “lift” or monster tires to get back to a good fishing hole or hunting spot. Knock wood I’ve not been “hung up” in a long long time. I Have pulled a few lifted, big tired Jeeps outta the mud though…you CAN get stuck in anything if that’s your goal. The best off road equipment you can have is the one between your ears, IF you use it.
My thought when I got my first Wrangker in 2008 was get a base and build it up as I break things. It worked out very nicely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! What the Distinguished Dog said. Add what you need for what you do.

After you remove the rear seat and hide it, get a cargo mat with raised edges and no holes. That way you can carry sloppy stuff without messing the carpet.
Jeep Wrangler JL What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do? 0eddfbf6-27fb-43d9-9b3e-ac487f697845

I like this one from Rugged Ridge.

You'll want mudflaps all around. I got Weathertechs. Install took 45 minutes. Some folks pull them for froading.
I’ve got three big dogs, so a dirty dog liner is in my future. My old Jeep is covered in dog hair.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.spiderwebshade.com/products/seatbeltsilencers-jl2d

You'll thank me when the top's down, or even in safari/bikini mode. I installed mine with the logo facing backwards so you can't see it. Makes a world of difference for your level of sanity.

Jeep Wrangler JL What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do? 0eddfbf6-27fb-43d9-9b3e-ac487f697845
I gad a 300 mile drive home from the dealership. The flapping of the back seat belts was quite annoying. Already ordered this. And my own seatbelt was vibrating like crazy. I got some sticky backed black felt rectangles to put on the B-pillar to see if that will quiet the driver’s seatbelt.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a specific JL forum too. Tons of stuff.

To start tho I'd get the dual-top....that'll allow you to do road-trips when you don't know if it'll rain while having the top-down. The bag for the windows is pretty good.

Fox Steering stabilizer 2.0. Get it on Amazon for like $169 right now. Put it on in about 10 minutes, nothing special...level-1 install. Massive difference in wandering and steering-track.

Seatbelt keepers for the backseat for when you ride with the doors off and/or just top down. Huge difference.

Some velcro straps for the soft-top so it's not so bulky when all the way down.

Interior organizer bags. I got the Overland saddle bags....they are pretty awesome. They hold a tons of stuff.

Get some soft-top window cleaner. And some soft-top treatment to make it last longer/protect it. All this you can find on the forum here.

Good luck! Bet you are pretty excited.
I was quite impressed with the on road manners of the JL compared to my wandering JK so I was surprised you recommend the Fox steering stabilizer right away. Do you consider it future-proofing the Jeep so it never becomes wobbly like my older one? Or was your JL a wanderer from the get go? I am genuinely curious.
I’ve done a lot of the other suggestions this first week of ownership!