Sponsored

What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do?

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
LED lights all around, dead pedal, gas door are some easy ones to start. I also don't like the 7" head unit so you could look for an upgrade there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander
It's ironic that the JK's aesthetic actually looks like something we'd see in the Caribbean Islands. ;)

Did the JL's prior owner tow it frequently? If so, hopefully they did it properly.
They only had it for 11 months and put 3500 miles on it, so I think they didn’t do too much damage.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LED lights all around, dead pedal, gas door are some easy ones to start. I also don't like the 7" head unit so you could look for an upgrade there.
I like everything you’re saying.

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This might sound odd but it will eventually make a lot of sense. Do nothing.

Just drive it and use it. Keep in mind that it is almost infinitely modifiable. At some point you'll find something that isn't working for you, could be better, or will fill a rather unique quirky need that you have. Then change that to what suits you best.

Don't try to "keep up with the Joneses". It will get expensive, not really necessary and it will eventually impede something that you will find necessary. Trust me, you'll find something. Everyone does.
I’ve had my previous Jeep and made it just the way I wanted it, Jones be damned. I could list 11 dumb things the JK needed fixed/adjusted that took me years to figure out. So I was thinking of advice along those lines that aren’t always obvious. An example on my JK would be cutting the pin on the back row door surrounds so the two pieces can be easily separated. That way you can drive with no D pillar breaking up the lines, but keep the top rail in place to hold the soft top in place. Not obvious, but super simple and I wish someone had told me in 2008 instead of figuring it out myself in 2013. Any way, that’s a long winded way on my part to say, “Give me your knowledge so I don’t have to earn it!”
Ha.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Most definitely on the LEDs, at least the headlights and fog lights.

I don't mind the Isalnder font, but I'd have to peel the little tiki voodoo doll off. That's just my opinion though.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
...but I'd have to peel the little tiki voodoo doll off. That's just my opinion though.
And invoke the curse??? Did you learn nothing from The Brady Bunch???

Last edited:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
This might sound odd but it will eventually make a lot of sense. Do nothing.

Just drive it and use it. Keep in mind that it is almost infinitely modifiable. At some point you'll find something that isn't working for you, could be better, or will fill a rather unique quirky need that you have. Then change that to what suits you best.

Don't try to "keep up with the Joneses". It will get expensive, not really necessary and it will eventually impede something that you will find necessary. Trust me, you'll find something. Everyone does.
This-drive the darn thing and don’t spend your time/money worrying about modifications. There will always be somebody with a Jeep with more mods than yours, regardless of how much you spend. Enjoy what you have. If it goes where YOU want to go that’s all that’s needed. You do not have to be one of the “cool kids” with a “hey look at me” Jeep’ to have fun. It cracks me up to see kids put monster lifts and tires on new Jeeps and then loudly proclaim you have to do the same to use a Jeep off road😏. (Trying to justify “why?). It’s your money but do yourself a huge favor and actually DRIVE the way you normally will before you do anything else. You may surprise yourself. I’ve been fooling with off road for almost 50 years, I’ve never yet needed a “lift” or monster tires to get back to a good fishing hole or hunting spot. Knock wood I’ve not been “hung up” in a long long time. I Have pulled a few lifted, big tired Jeeps outta the mud though…you CAN get stuck in anything if that’s your goal. The best off road equipment you can have is the one between your ears, IF you use it.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
This-drive the darn thing and don’t spend your time/money worrying about modifications. There will always be somebody with a Jeep with more mods than yours, regardless of how much you spend. Enjoy what you have. If it goes where YOU want to go that’s all that’s needed. You do not have to be one of the “cool kids” with a “hey look at me” Jeep’ to have fun. It cracks me up to see kids put monster lifts and tires on new Jeeps and then loudly proclaim you have to do the same to use a Jeep off road😏. (Trying to justify “why?). It’s your money but do yourself a huge favor and actually DRIVE the way you normally will before you do anything else. You may surprise yourself. I’ve been fooling with off road for almost 50 years, I’ve never yet needed a “lift” or monster tires to get back to a good fishing hole or hunting spot. Knock wood I’ve not been “hung up” in a long long time. I Have pulled a few lifted, big tired Jeeps outta the mud though…you CAN get stuck in anything if that’s your goal. The best off road equipment you can have is the one between your ears, IF you use it.
Yup! What the Distinguished Dog said. Add what you need for what you do.

After you remove the rear seat and hide it, get a cargo mat with raised edges and no holes. That way you can carry sloppy stuff without messing the carpet.
Jeep Wrangler JL What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do? Raccoon.JPG

I like this one from Rugged Ridge.

You'll want mudflaps all around. I got Weathertechs. Install took 45 minutes. Some folks pull them for froading.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Par-T-Rex

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, my question wasn’t geared toward lifts/tires per my original post. Over 14 years I built up my previous Jeep to make it as I liked. Here, I’m looking for small practical things that might be overlooked to someone new. Like on my JK, some zip ties and a small block of strategically placed wood killed the hood flutter. Only experience can tell you something like that and I shared that with newbies.
I only plan on keeping up with my imagination and fixing what Jeep got wrong! 😉
Thanks!

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Here it is next to the DirtBus it’s replacing. I think white wheels is the way to go, but it came with the soft top, not the hard top. Yeah, those bumper ends need to go for sure. Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL What should I do to my JL that I didn’t know I should do? Raccoon.JPG
Instead of removing and tossing those aero bumper ends, do this simple mod which keeps the fog light electrical shielded. made this video when we did this on my daughters new Sport.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
THESE! You want these!

TACCOM Sun Visor clips (2) compatible for Jeep 2018 and newer JK, JL, JT Gladiator and Wrangler

https://a.co/d/glibS9B