Sponsored

What rattle can paint matches the Rubicon stock Fenders?

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I bought some Mopar plastic running boards as they line up really well with my stock 2020 Rubicon fenders. The problem is the lines line up but the colour is way off. I took the Jeep to Cmax which is the auto paint department of NAPA. They are really close with making aerosol cans or bottles of paint if you have the 3 character paint code. They did a scan and sold me a can but when I sprayed the running board, it was way off. Even worse. It’s a dark carbon grey so I was thinking some Tremclad or Rustolem colour that may match. Yes, I am painting them, no I step over them. I have been using Marhyde Trim Spray
Jeep Wrangler JL What rattle can paint matches the Rubicon stock Fenders? 2A6864D4-3FC2-41CF-AFE7-039BC2BC3FB4
paint this way for years on TJ flares, sled and quad panels. It works.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Couple of things... I assume by scan you mean they scanned your door jamb to get the paint code? Based on pictures it looks like you have a Sting Gray Jeep which is paint code PDN. If they did this and matched PDN and mixed it for you, how well did you shake the can prior to application and did you do a primer or any prep?

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Couple of things... I assume by scan you mean they scanned your door jamb to get the paint code? Based on pictures it looks like you have a Sting Gray Jeep which is paint code PDN. If they did this and matched PDN and mixed it for you, how well did you shake the can prior to application and did you do a primer or any prep?
They scanned the fender, like you would do at Home Depot. It then gives them a formula. I am Not trying to match the Sting Gray, it’s the sheeny, black fenders. I want to paint the Mopar running boards the same as the fenders. ( They are not in the picture). I do have the steel rubicon bumpers. Guys have used Rustoleum Truck bed liner spray on those bumpers but the fenders and bumpers are quite different. My plan is to have the same colour flow from front fender, down along the running board then back up the rear fender all the same colour.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
They scanned the fender, like you would do at Home Depot. It then gives them a formula. I am Not trying to match the Sting Gray, it’s the sheeny, black fenders. I want to paint the Mopar running boards the same as the fenders. ( They are not in the picture). I do have the steel rubicon bumpers. Guys have used Rustoleum Truck bed liner spray on those bumpers but the fenders and bumpers are quite different. My plan is to have the same colour flow from front fender, down along the running board then back up the rear fender all the same colour.
Ah, ok. Honestly, your best bet is to checkout some Youtube reviews and see what looks to be the closest match in terms of texture and then try that. I'd think a matte finish would be closest to matching.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ah, ok. Honestly, your best bet is to checkout some Youtube reviews and see what looks to be the closest match in terms of texture and then try that. I'd think a matte finish would be closest to matching.
Oh yeah, it’s going to be a bitch for sure. Trying not to buy 5 or 6 different cans of what I think is close! The challenge is when the Mopar running boards are on , there is only about an inch of space between boards and fender so you really notice if it’s a different tone.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
They scanned the fender, like you would do at Home Depot. It then gives them a formula. I am Not trying to match the Sting Gray, it’s the sheeny, black fenders.
Hopefully nobody gets the crap paint at department stores. I had Sherwin Williams try to use their scanner on black plastic once (It was in a home I was remodeling and I needed a match). The scanner was smart enough to tell them it couldn't do a match. I ended up buying many cans of black paint and finding the best match.

Obviously you don't need to test each can on your Mopar running boards, test it on something you don't care about.

Me: What exact shade of black is the best color match for the black stock plastic fenders of a JL wrangler?

Chat GPT:

The exact shade of black that is the best color match for the black stock plastic fenders of a JL Wrangler may vary depending on the specific manufacturer and product. However, most JL Wrangler fenders are made from a type of plastic called thermoplastic olefin (TPO), which typically has a semi-gloss or matte finish.

If you are looking to touch up or repaint your JL Wrangler's plastic fenders, it is best to use a paint that is specifically formulated for use on TPO. These types of paints are designed to adhere well to TPO plastic and provide a durable, long-lasting finish.

In terms of color match, it is best to try to match the original color of your fenders as closely as possible. This can often be accomplished by using a paint that is labeled as "JL Wrangler Black," or by bringing a sample of your fender to a paint store or automotive parts store and asking for help finding a matching color.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hopefully nobody gets the crap paint at department stores. I had Sherwin Williams try to use their scanner on black plastic once (It was in a home I was remodeling and I needed a match). The scanner was smart enough to tell them it couldn't do a match. I ended up buying many cans of black paint and finding the best match.

Obviously you don't need to test each can on your Mopar running boards, test it on something you don't care about.

Me: What exact shade of black is the best color match for the black stock plastic fenders of a JL wrangler?

Chat GPT:

The exact shade of black that is the best color match for the black stock plastic fenders of a JL Wrangler may vary depending on the specific manufacturer and product. However, most JL Wrangler fenders are made from a type of plastic called thermoplastic olefin (TPO), which typically has a semi-gloss or matte finish.

If you are looking to touch up or repaint your JL Wrangler's plastic fenders, it is best to use a paint that is specifically formulated for use on TPO. These types of paints are designed to adhere well to TPO plastic and provide a durable, long-lasting finish.

In terms of color match, it is best to try to match the original color of your fenders as closely as possible. This can often be accomplished by using a paint that is labeled as "JL Wrangler Black," or by bringing a sample of your fender to a paint store or automotive parts store and asking for help finding a matching color.
Yeah i did the last part. I took one of the rear fenders right in the NAPA auto paint shop where the blend paint codes real well. They said their scanner or camera can pick up metallic and other qualities a home paint store cannot. News flash, NAPA’s scanner was way out. One possibility IS to use the Rustoleum Box liner spray as it is very close to the Steel Rubion bumpers I have. The problem is, the fenders and running boards are 1 inch apart. So you either get it very very close, or go way different.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yeah i did the last part. I took one of the rear fenders right in the NAPA auto paint shop where the blend paint codes real well. They said their scanner or camera can pick up metallic and other qualities a home paint store cannot. News flash, NAPA’s scanner was way out. One possibility IS to use the Rustoleum Box liner spray as it is very close to the Steel Rubion bumpers I have. The problem is, the fenders and running boards are 1 inch apart. So you either get it very very close, or go way different.
Looks like you need to take one for the team. I'd be interested in the best color match. BTW, I'll tell Chat GPT you tried that.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
More work and cost but, paint the running boards and the fenders with the same stuff for a perfect match.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
More work and cost but, paint the running boards and the fenders with the same stuff for a perfect match.

Per Chat GPT

Panting TPO is far different than painting metal. That opens up a whole new can of worms I'd like to avoid.

OP
OP
Albertaktm

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Per Chat GPT

Panting TPO is far different than painting metal. That opens up a whole new can of worms I'd like to avoid.
I did on running board with Marhyde and one with the black hard top touch up. They look the same. Those fenders are chameleons. The front of the rear fender looks Sting Grey in the sun! Yes that’s stock black Rubicon plastic. I think I’m as close as it’s going to get.
Jeep Wrangler JL What rattle can paint matches the Rubicon stock Fenders? 246FB9BB-5DDF-4D13-8590-2196B5A28745
Sponsored