What Psi should I run - Do a "Chalk Test" to determine

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, Jeff .... I edited that post regarding this..

Indeed guys/gals should not be fooling with tire pressures / be doing a Chalk Test when tires are warm. Do the chalk test when tires are cold.

Do NOT change/adjust tire pressures when tires are warm.
Reality is, best time to check/adjust tires is in the morning before the sun starts beating down on the tires/before you drive the vehicle.
When you say "cold" tire pressure you just mean the tires after resting for a considerable length of time and not actually a temperature correct? If I were to do this after driving to work in the morning, then wait a few hours and do the chalk test that would be fine too...
Sponsored

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@rizej
Morning. Before driving at all. When cool out. No Sun on tires is undoubtedly the best time.

kaptkaos

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I just got a 2021 JLU Sport with 35x12.5x20 and there is no DW but there was a ton of wandering...I installed Fox Rubi Takeoffs, nada. Started down the rabbit hole of threads...

Finally stumbled onto tire pressure...The tires were inflated to 66psi which was on the sidewall. I dropped to 45 and it was better. Then 36 and it got better...dont want to ruin tires but if it gets better at 32...I am ready....

Theres also a Fox 2.0 Stabilizer coming....cant hurt and it will look trick.

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
PSA...do not use this method for Patagonia MT tires. Previous owner did this and the tires were feathered pretty good. I installed a new set of Pat MT-02's and used their colored lines on the tire and have been wearing great with minimal noise. Previous owner was running 26-28, I have been at 34 since install. Major difference! Pats ride on the center of the tire on the highway by design.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Just an update on my chalk test, my new lift, my zealous tire rotation & my tire wear.

1 - Like many others, I did the chalk test when I 1st got her. I was happy with how I dialed the PSI in, and I kept on a strict rotation regime. Each time I had the tires rotated (and balanced) I always asked the tech(s) how things looked, or I read the enclosed wear depth paperwork if included.

2 - After 2 years of wheeling at stock height with stock tires (still with lots of good tread left on them),
Jeep Wrangler JL What Psi should I run - Do a "Chalk Test" to determine 1680716562505

I just recently decided to add the Mopar 2" Diesel lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL What Psi should I run - Do a "Chalk Test" to determine 1680716425576

Of course, the dealership inflated the tires to an ungodly high PSI, but I decided to run them home like that. I experienced my 1st Death Wobble ever on that ride home. If I remember correctly, they had the tires at about 38 PSI.

After dialing my pressure back down (have not redone my chalk test yet), I scheduled another rotation/balance. ALL looked good on the tires again.

I have still run into the DW at the SAME pothole where it originally happened and one other time (again, when the tires were at a higher PSI after the rotation/balance).

I immediately lowered the PSI a bit lower than my norm as an experiment. For the rest of the trip when the 2nd instance occurred, I did not have an issue.

FAST-FORWARD to my recent trip to an independent garage where the folks have had experience driving and working on JP's for years. I was still trying to track down my DW issue. He stated that ALL was tight and in proper order underneath the front end (including the alignment). He did ask about my PSI, and I stated that I was running at about 25 cold up to 28 hot. He said the tires all looked good and agreed that a lower PSI (in my case) was appropriate.

At this PSI I haven't had the VIOLENT DW that many others have experienced BUT I am not currently attributing this to the PSI. I suspect that is just a coincidence. I will know for sure when I make the same trip when the 2nd instance occurred which I spoke of earlier.

Once I get some dry, warmer weather and get my half doors swapped back on, I will re-chalk to see how my lower PSI is looking.

Until then, I am swerving to miss that damn pothole :)

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update on my chalk test, my new lift, my zealous tire rotation & my tire wear.

1 - Like many others, I did the chalk test when I 1st got her. I was happy with how I dialed the PSI in, and I kept on a strict rotation regime. Each time I had the tires rotated (and balanced) I always asked the tech(s) how things looked, or I read the enclosed wear depth paperwork if included.

2 - After 2 years of wheeling at stock height with stock tires (still with lots of good tread left on them),
Jeep Wrangler JL What Psi should I run - Do a "Chalk Test" to determine 1680716425576

I just recently decided to add the Mopar 2" Diesel lift.

Of course, the dealership inflated the tires to an ungodly high PSI, but I decided to run them home like that. I experienced my 1st Death Wobble ever on that ride home. If I remember correctly, they had the tires at about 38 PSI.

After dialing my pressure back down (have not redone my chalk test yet), I scheduled another rotation/balance. ALL looked good on the tires again.

I have still run into the DW at the SAME pothole where it originally happened and one other time (again, when the tires were at a higher PSI after the rotation/balance).

I immediately lowered the PSI a bit lower than my norm as an experiment. For the rest of the trip when the 2nd instance occurred, I did not have an issue.

FAST-FORWARD to my recent trip to an independent garage where the folks have had experience driving and working on JP's for years. I was still trying to track down my DW issue. He stated that ALL was tight and in proper order underneath the front end (including the alignment). He did ask about my PSI, and I stated that I was running at about 25 cold up to 28 hot. He said the tires all looked good and agreed that a lower PSI (in my case) was appropriate.

At this PSI I haven't had the VIOLENT DW that many others have experienced BUT I am not currently attributing this to the PSI. I suspect that is just a coincidence. I will know for sure when I make the same trip when the 2nd instance occurred which I spoke of earlier.

Once I get some dry, warmer weather and get my half doors swapped back on, I will re-chalk to see how my lower PSI is looking.

Until then, I am swerving to miss that damn pothole :)
I ran those $hitty KO2 tires at 26 psi cold and found that to be the best overall psi for a flat contact patch.