Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I doubt they are on track from what I’ve heard, and while I’m excited about it I’m really thinking it’s going to be 70-80,000... maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised and it will be a GC replacement down the road, who knows.
Yeah, expensive AF and honestly, even if I’m not thrilled by Jeep reliability and trim level (though the JL is miles ahead of the JK), Range Rover are probably the most unreliable, and cost a lot to maintain... so no thanks !
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Yeah, expensive AF and honestly, even if I’m not thrilled by Jeep reliability and trim level (though the JL is miles ahead of the JK), Range Rover are probably the most unreliable, and cost a lot to maintain... so no thanks !
Agreed.... actually, as a current JKU owner and a wrangler owner of 20+ years, if they didn’t step up the JL in the manner it appears that they did we wouldn’t have ordered our JLUR, we would have sold our JKU and got something that offers more content and I probably would have bought an older wrangler/CJ as a third car.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Is Range Rover still on track to introduce a new defender in 2019? This might not be that much more expensive than a fully loaded rubicon. I would love to get more details on this before pulling the trigger on the rubi.
It's Land Rover. Range Rover is a current Land Rover model. As for the Defender, this past week I've read some pieces on the web indicating a new Defender is on target for 2019, but I take that with a large grain of salt. Word is the new Defender will share a platform with a current Ranger Rover/Disco model, and will at most contain some styling cues linking it to the real Defender. I don't think it would be a live axle vehicle. The idea is to remain upscale in the market rather than utilitarian. Bottom line as a 1972 Series III owner, I'm not looking to replace it with a new Land Rover product any time soon.

The only USA competitor with Wrangler that I see in the near future is the proposed 2020 Ford Bronco. Will it be a ladder frame live axle utility type vehicle with removable top? Time will tell. I think Jeep Wrangler will still rule the roost.

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
However, I think the biggest pricing problem with the new JL is their options. Not only did they jump in price, but they come standard in most other vehicles. My wife just got a Kia Sportage (I know it’s a Kia) but she got the sxt (highest model), turbo, leather, prox entry, full glass top/sunroof, heated AND COOLED seats, heated steering wheel, power lift gate, park assist, safety pkg, LED...all for $32K. My $50K plus Rubicon will not be as nice as hers. But I can hit the trails I guess lol.
jeep will make some of these options incrementally standard in future model years to keep the sales rolling. it's a game as old as time.

though kia is known for stuffing their cars with standard features.

Graham22

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (sold) 2011 Jeep JKUR (sold) 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Here is my cross shopping list
2019 JLUR diesel
2019 Ford Raptor (V8 only)
2020 Bronco

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Here is my cross shopping list
2019 JLUR diesel
2019 Ford Raptor (V8 only)
2020 Bronco
I'll hit you up in a couple of years and you can let us know how it worked out!

I hear Ford is targeting 2037 for a new off-roader. You may want to check that one out too. ;)

shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at getting another JK before deciding on a JL. IMO the price increase is worth every single penny. You'd spend twice as much upgrading a JK and still not have what the JL offers that can't be accomplished via an aftermarket upgrade.

Graham22

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (sold) 2011 Jeep JKUR (sold) 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
I'll hit you up in a couple of years and you can let us know how it worked out!

I hear Ford is targeting 2037 for a new off-roader. You may want to check that one out too. ;)
Haha I’m exciited for how the bronco should look but I doubt it will be very capable off-road and you won’t be able to take the top or doors off, so that’s almosy a deal breaker to start with.
The JL is definitely on top of the list bc I had two transmissions in my first gen raptor

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
It’s a Jeep. There is a serious market for them and FCA knows it. There isn’t a vehicle to compare it against if you have owned a Jeep. The mistake people make when purchasing one is not doing their due diligence and shopping around then wind up paying MSRP or even above invoice pricing. Granted there’s some people who financially it simply doesn’t matter but for those trying to maximize the dollar they should be at 2-5% under invoice. I’ve said it on another thread, use this forum to find where the best deals are and if you’re seeking the best deal then travel to it. Nothing wrong with flying to a different state and road tripping a New Jeep home. IMHO

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Wrangler is totally unique, there isn't any "cross shopping " , it's Apples and Oranges.
However, what in the Jeep Family appeals as an alternative ?
I test drove a Renegade "Altitude", manual trans means 1.4L engine only, but fun to drive, excellent fuel economy , rated 24/32 . 4x4, with selector for terrain. Also available with "My Sky" power sunroof, that helps in the "convertible " department.
Also steeply discounted now, and one of the only 4x4s that has a manual transmission.
Again, Apples and Oranges, but worth thinking about. Wranglers are doing what any product does without having competition ; it gets overpriced, then market forces correct this. Value returns

Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
When my jeep.com build kept pressing $50K I had to look at the alternatives even though I love my '14 JKUR. I sat in an Audi Q5 for the same price and it was amazing from the inside but how boring from the outside. Sat in a Macan but a buddy said that was a "Chick Car". I stare at Jeeps like girls in bikinis . . . what is it about both of them that makes us look? Mystery of life.

Jetg

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 911 convertible, 18' Macan PP
We love our 18 Macan PP Turbo would never say that is a chicks car. Freaking thing is a blast to drive. I cross if you will shopped the raptor but it is just to big and MSRP is the price if you can find a dealer willing to deal at that. But it is also 70k+

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
New here, but at one time owned a JKU Oscar Mike edition and loved it. I traded in my Audi A4 wagon for it when we lived in Colorado. I ended up putting about $10k into the Jeep and traded it in two years later for guess what...an Audi A4 sedan. The Jeep was awesome for off-roading but didn’t make for a great daily driver especially after all the upgrades. So since I have a love for Audi’s I decided to get an A4 again, but missed my Jeep. I have now placed an order for a JLUR fully loaded...MSRP $54,365...wow! I’m getting an OTD price of $49,300 (includes tags but no taxes) which includes military discount and tread lightly.

I’m seeing many people here cross shop this with a sedan which isn’t even closely related. You either want a wrangler or don’t. A sedan or suv or truck or truck based suv is not going to be even close to what a Jeep can be capable of. Yes you may want a wrangler, but do you need one. I’d say if you’re cross shopping against sedans you just want one and really don’t need one, which is cool. But if you do get one it’ll be the most capable vehicle you’ve ever had even if you only use that capability 10% of the time.

To solve my dilemma so I wouldn’t have to cross shop or make a compromise by trading in my Audi I’m keeping both. The Audi is the daily driver and the Jeep is for the weekend. After owning both I know that only having one will not meet my needs. So if you can, keep a daily driver and get the wrangler. That will solve a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Oh, as for pricing. Yeah, $54k MSRP can buy you a very nice sedan, suv, or sports car, but will never give you the same experience as a Jeep will. My most memorable moments living in Colorado was when we had the Jeep as it took us places no other vehicle could. It’s great driving my Audi on the highway, but it can’t take me and my family to the mountains where only a Jeep and a few other 4x4s can go.

And I consider the $49k deal reasonable for what you’re getting if it’s a rubicon. If you’ve priced a Sahara at close to that just spend an extra few grand to get the rubicon...you’ll regret it if you don’t. It’s one of the reasons I traded in my JKU. After putting in $10k plus the $30k I bought it for put me at $40k total. And it still wasn’t near as capable as the rubicon not to mention resale value if you decide to trade later for whatever reason. $10k bought a lot of stuff like steel bumpers front and rear, 3” suspension, 35” tires, 17” wheels, led headlights, rigid off road lighting front and rear, aux switches with relays, trextop, cargo basket, HD tire carrier, steel grab handles, and winch. And I was about to start on the lockers and gearing until I realized I was getting in too deep. This is why I’m going with the Rubicon. I’ll add off road lighting and a winch and that’s about it.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Regardless of how bearable or unbearable the price increase is, there's nothing else on the market quite like the Wrangler. And for that reason they'll continue to sell. Personally, I'm becoming turned off by the JL pricing scheme the more I consider it, but again, nothing else out there quite like the Wrangler. It's like banging your against a wall hoping it will hurt less the more you do it. :headbang:
Also remember Wranhlees hold their resale value much better then most cars
Sponsored