Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

mmccormick33

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru Crosstrek, 2012 Mazda5, 2005 Jeep Wrangler SE (gone)
The Subaru Crosstrek.

While the market would hardly consider them competitors I like the lines on both the Wrangler and Crosstrek, they're both good in snow, and sporty looking.

I enjoy thinking of all the things I could buy with the saved money too.
We have a Crosstrek and love it. It's a dog - very very underpowered - but a fun dog and capable.
Sponsored

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
If I can't get a deal on the Rubicon to fit my budget, the new 2.0T 6MT Honda Accord Sport is looking pretty good and it's a lot cheaper.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
If I can't get a deal on the Rubicon to fit my budget, the new 2.0T 6MT Honda Accord Sport is looking pretty good and it's a lot cheaper.
It’s not a swipe at the accord Sport, it’s a good car... I just can’t fathom cross shopping these two.... I mean you either want an off-road convertible SUV or you get something as similar as possible... but going to the accord just doesn’t seem to make any sense.

OP
OP
BBQCHICKENALERT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
It’s not a swipe at the accord Sport, it’s a good car... I just can’t fathom cross shopping these two.... I mean you either want an off-road convertible SUV or you get something as similar as possible... but going to the accord just doesn’t seem to make any sense.
100% agree. I would much rather just keep driving that clean NA Miata in your Avi and save up for a JL rather than buy an Accord that isn't your #1 choice.

Have you thought about just buying a Sport or Sport S?

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
My current list goes something like this:

Truck/SUV:
1. Ford raptor/f150/F250
2. Jeep SRT8

Car:
1. Porsche 911
2. Corvette
3. Mustang/Camaro
4. BMW 550xi
5. Wrx/sti

There are so many good options at the $50k mark. Sure, some cars might have to be used to stay on budget but I’m having trouble picturing spending $50k on a Wrangler with that list.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My current list goes something like this:

Truck/SUV:
1. Ford raptor/f150/F250
2. Jeep SRT8

Car:
1. Porsche 911
2. Corvette
3. Mustang/Camaro
4. BMW 550xi
5. Wrx/sti

There are so many good options at the $50k mark. Sure, some cars might have to be used to stay on budget but I’m having trouble picturing spending $50k on a Wrangler with that list.
I’d cross that 550 off the list, maintenance and most of all staggering depreciation will have you wishing you bought the $50,000 Jeep

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Very nice! I actually saw a 2018 TRD Pro in cement last week.

I'm torn between the 4Runner, Tacoma and JLUR but I'll decide in the early spring. Should get a fairly accurate impression of the JL by then.
Let me start by saying I have 2006 4Runner V8 Sport AWD that we bought new in 2005 (4th gen mid-cycle refresh year). I LOVE it. And my other car is a Toyota.

However, I wouldn't buy another 4Runner until Toyota releases a 6th gen. The current generation is just too dated for a new truck today and Toyota is slow to add basic modern tech. For example, at the Detroit Auto Show, they made a huge deal that "some" Entune packages will include Apple Car Play. But they still have no support for Android Auto. Performance-wise, the current V6 is underpowered and feels sluggish. 4Runners are as dated as JKs are now that JLs are out (and worse in some ways), but without the "It's a Jeep Thing" charm.

I really hope they come up with a redesign soon. They're selling over 100K per year again now that Jeep is the only real competition (and I don't have a lot of faith in Ford's upcoming Bronco.) Their truck boss gave the usual "we're considering it but we have to look at CAFE" B.S. the last time I read about it.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Let me start by saying I have 2006 4Runner V8 Sport AWD that we bought new in 2005 (4th gen mid-cycle refresh year). I LOVE it. And my other car is a Toyota.

However, I wouldn't buy another 4Runner until Toyota releases a 6th gen. The current generation is just too dated for a new truck today and Toyota is slow to add basic modern tech. For example, at the Detroit Auto Show, they made a huge deal that "some" Entune packages will include Apple Car Play. But they still have no support for Android Auto. Performance-wise, the current V6 is underpowered and feels sluggish. 4Runners are as dated as JKs are now that JLs are out (and worse in some ways), but without the "It's a Jeep Thing" charm.

I really hope they come up with a redesign soon. They're selling over 100K per year again now that Jeep is the only real competition (and I don't have a lot of faith in Ford's upcoming Bronco.) Their truck boss gave the usual "we're considering it but we have to look at CAFE" B.S. the last time I read about it.
4 runner is a solid rig, love that the rear window goes down, very reliable but extremely dated and the tech is really lacking.. we considered one, but with my concerns above and the loss of the convertible it was a no go.

Rubberdukky

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner and Widow of a 2012 JKU :(
4 runner is a solid rig, love that the rear window goes down, very reliable but extremely dated and the tech is really lacking.. we considered one, but with my concerns above and the loss of the convertible it was a no go.
We bought a 2016 4Runner Trail for my wife purely because of the Toyota motor and the rear window for our two big dogs when we travel. Luckily, she doesn't care about technology so it worked perfect her!

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not shook at $100k+ and a long wait take a look at ICON (https://icon4x4.com/). You can get complete restomod broncos and FJs with all the modern amenities of a TRD Pro or Raptor and even beefier beyond that as your wallet will allow. They are very impressive in person but way above my budget.
Wasn't really a Bronco fan so wouldn't drop $100k on one of those. I would put $$$ into my CJ though since I already have one that is a pretty blank slate. But it's also pretty stock/original.

If I was more into offload 'camping' this would be on my short list, https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2018/revel/overview

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from a 11 year old Subaru Legacy so I'm not too concerned about the latest features.

The main thing that's holding me back is actually the fuel economy. I know Toyota has no problem selling the current 4Runner but I wish they'd at least throw in a modern transmission. It'd help sway buyers like me and also help with their CAFE standards too.

Either way, I really like what I'm seeing in the new JL. I can see myself rocking a Mojito Rubicon on the Alaskan highway later this year.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Thanks for the info. I'm coming from a 11 year old Subaru Legacy so I'm not too concerned about the latest features.

The main thing that's holding me back is actually the fuel economy. I know Toyota has no problem selling the current 4Runner but I wish they'd at least throw in a modern transmission. It'd help sway buyers like me and also help with their CAFE standards too.

Either way, I really like what I'm seeing in the new JL. I can see myself rocking a Mojito Rubicon on the Alaskan highway later this year.
The transmission feels archaic, the combo with the engine is pretty lack luster, I’m honestly a fan of the 4 runner.... but so many items are dated it was a hard pill to swolllow considering the cost I was looking at.

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
We have a baby on the way and for the first time in my life, I have to get a family car. I am adventurous, so for me the new Rubicon is the ideal family car. Yes, I know it's not tops in safety - it's good enough for me. The new Accord Sport is probably the second best family car I can think of, that comes with a manual.

100% agree. I would much rather just keep driving that clean NA Miata in your Avi and save up for a JL rather than buy an Accord that isn't your #1 choice.

Have you thought about just buying a Sport or Sport S?
I'm not willing to compromise for the Sport, its looks and function don't appeal to me. With the approaching family situation mentioned above, sadly the Miata has to go as I will no longer have space for two of my own cars nor the desire to pay two insurance and registration bills. I am considering doing something like Swapalease as a bridge vehicle to get me to a point where I can afford the Rubicon, if it turns out to be unreasonably expensive.

Wdh777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping to get a JLL
Is Range Rover still on track to introduce a new defender in 2019? This might not be that much more expensive than a fully loaded rubicon. I would love to get more details on this before pulling the trigger on the rubi.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Is Range Rover still on track to introduce a new defender in 2019? This might not be that much more expensive than a fully loaded rubicon. I would love to get more details on this before pulling the trigger on the rubi.
I doubt they are on track from what I’ve heard, and while I’m excited about it I’m really thinking it’s going to be 70-80,000... maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised and it will be a GC replacement down the road, who knows.
Sponsored