Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
The online build isn't always right. You can order the Sahara without the wheel upgrade and still get the lsd and selectrac. Here is my build. Around 51k and got it down to 44550.

IMG_7365.jpg
That's an incredible price. What is the meaning of "w/fini" next to the $44,550 price, is this mean with financing?
Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
My 2 cents on this discussion. I actually think Jeep is being smart, I see the Wrangler as a having a split personality. It's both a real utility vehicle and a lifestyle vehicle, which are two very different markets. As a result, if I'm buying a (new) utility vehicle I would buy a stripped Sport, with only the options actually demanded for the specific mission. If however, I'm buying a lifestyle vehicle I would buy the Sahara or Rubicon with all the trimmings. I happen to fall into the later category as I'm much more focused on what I want versus what I actually need. The gap between "Need" and "Want" is usually large and only limited by the size of your wallet, this IMHO is what Jeep is leveraging. Which is just good business.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Like a lot of others I too am looking for that perfect Overlander, to replace my current JKU as it leaves a lot to be desired in the Overlanding Dept. Something that has power to get out of its own way, comfortable on long road trips, and is good off road (but dont care about crawling rocks).
I'm also looking for an overloading vehicle as well but was curious about the shortcomings of the JKU as an overlander. (I'm new to the Jeep world and was considering a discounted JKUR as a fallback option.)

jeepFisher_md

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sahara (Billet)
The Subaru Crosstrek.

While the market would hardly consider them competitors I like the lines on both the Wrangler and Crosstrek, they're both good in snow, and sporty looking.

I enjoy thinking of all the things I could buy with the saved money too.
I have been thinking about the Crosstrek also. Love my jeep but would also like better mileage and lower payment/price. Wife still has her jeep, but doubt i could pry it from her in the summer! LOL Totally unrelated vehicle that i want to look at also is the hybrid Hyundai kona i think it is...a small crossover. I travel alot for fishing outings and trips, and the kayak is a pain to get on top of my lifted jeep (and the 12 -14 mpg aint fun either).

Last edited:

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My 2 cents on this discussion. I actually think Jeep is being smart, I see the Wrangler as a having a split personality. It's both a real utility vehicle and a lifestyle vehicle, which are two very different markets. As a result, if I'm buying a (new) utility vehicle I would buy a stripped Sport, with only the options actually demanded for the specific mission. If however, I'm buying a lifestyle vehicle I would buy the Sahara or Rubicon with all the trimmings. I happen to fall into the later category as I'm much more focused on what I want versus what I actually need. The gap between "Need" and "Want" is usually large and only limited by the size of your wallet, this IMHO is what Jeep is leveraging. Which is just good business.
Agreed

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Nothing, since I can't find any other convertible 4 doors with AWD/4WD

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
Currently cross shopping a JLUR or a Power Wagon. Same price both optioned to the teeth, plan to move my overland gear over from the 4runner. Would love to add a Raptor (loved my 13) to the list but current pricing is redic, wish they had discounts like the rest of the Ford fleet.

Both of my options are extremely capable, need to test drive a JL or get over the size and crap back seat of the PW. A huge deciding factor for me is hauling my pampered (non truck bed) dogs while overlanding.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Currently cross shopping a JLUR or a Power Wagon. Same price both optioned to the teeth, plan to move my overland gear over from the 4runner. Would love to add a Raptor (loved my 13) to the list but current pricing is redic, wish they had discounts like the rest of the Ford fleet.

Both of my options are extremely capable, need to test drive a JL or get over the size and crap back seat of the PW. A huge deciding factor for me is hauling my pampered (non truck bed) dogs while overlanding.
Haven't driven a Power Wagon but I drove a brand new Lonestar edition (or TX edition) Ram a few weeks ago and it was great. But man, it was huge. I felt like a little kid in that thing. The amount of places to put things was incredible, lol.

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
Haven't driven a Power Wagon but I drove a brand new Lonestar edition (or TX edition) Ram a few weeks ago and it was great. But man, it was huge. I felt like a little kid in that thing. The amount of places to put things was incredible, lol.
Yea, I agree - I've had two 2500 Mega Cabs before my priorities changed towards overlanding and they were enormous. Really a pain to use on tight jeep trails too, just have to accept an insane amount of pinstriping from trees =(.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also looking for an overloading vehicle as well but was curious about the shortcomings of the JKU as an overlander. (I'm new to the Jeep world and was considering a discounted JKUR as a fallback option.)
For me once you load one up with armor, racks, 35s (or bigger), and interior gear the motor is under powered, and long distance driving becomes tedious. Also the solid front axel suspension and box design make it bit to handle in windy conditions.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

I like the PW as well. But think i would go cummins over the HEMI due to tq and better resale. I do love that the PW comes ready to go though. What crazy is you can get a loaded PW with leather for less then a Chevy ZR2 with the diesel.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I agree - I've had two 2500 Mega Cabs before my priorities changed towards overlanding and they were enormous. Really a pain to use on tight jeep trails too, just have to accept an insane amount of pinstriping from trees =(.
buy white lol

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
I like the PW as well. But think i would go cummins over the HEMI due to tq and better resale. I do love that the PW comes ready to go though. What crazy is you can get a loaded PW with leather for less then a Chevy ZR2 with the diesel.
buy white lol
Yea both my trucks were cummins and I'm over the diesel dream, turbo delay even tuned is real while I find myself caring more about the enviro the older I get so ripping off emissions is no longer fun for me, so I'd opt for the Hemi. But yea, can walk into a shop and get 13k off MSRP on a PW, while enticing I know the resale of RAMs compared to a wrangler is pretty damn poor.

I always buy white now for this reason =)...cept the JL will prolly be mojito.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Man I thought the Power Wagon was a 1500, I only drove a 1500. Watching videos on these things. Monsters.

OP
OP
BBQCHICKENALERT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
The online build isn't always right. You can order the Sahara without the wheel upgrade and still get the lsd and selectrac. Here is my build. Around 51k and got it down to 44550.

IMG_7365.jpg
Wow. Looks like you got a hell of a deal!

This helps out a great deal. Looks like the options combinations won't be as bad as originally anticipated and gives a lot of hope on potential bargained discounts.

Thanks for the info and congrats.
Sponsored