Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
Hello guys. First post here.

I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL. I was 90% set on buying a JL later this year but now with all the details set, I'm definitely having second thoughts after running the numbers.

My calculation for a nearly $6,000 price increase between a similarly spec'd JKU Sahara and JLU Sahara is due to the specific Wrangler that I want. I'm not claiming it is this big of an increase for everyone but for me personally it will be. I take it that many potential customers will be in a similar boat. Also, I don't want this thread to be about whether or not it is worth the extra money as you can make a strong case for both sides. Here is the breakdown.

Standard LED's vs LED Package = $900 Increase
$1400 Auto vs $2000 Auto = $600 increase
$500 LSD vs $1500 LSD = $1000 increase (this is due to being forced to opt for the optional wheels for the JLU that I would have otherwise passed on)
$1000 Hardtop vs $1100 Hardtop = $100 increase
$35340 vs $38540 = $3200 increase

As you can see if you choose a certain set of nearly identical options, the price increase ends up being $5800 more than a comparable JKU. If you account for the side airbags, it is still a $5300 increase.

The options listed above plus select trac/tow package and I'm looking at nearly $50k out the door. This price point opens the door to an enormous number of other options.

I'm cross shopping the JLU with significantly more comfortable/fun daily drivers around the $35-40k range and building my 01 XJ Cherokee/switching it out for a TJ. That would give me a fairly capable off road toy and a very large pool of potential vehicles to choose from. Anyone else considering the 2 car route?

Is a well optioned JLU worth 50 Grand? In my opinion, definitely yes. Will a JLU be more enjoyable than daily driving a new Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack or even something like an Audi A4 AND having a (shitty) weekend 4x4 toy for a similar amount? Very hard to answer that one.

Sorry for the long and rambling first post. Just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else was going through this exact scenario. Thanks!
Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Regardless of how bearable or unbearable the price increase is, there's nothing else on the market quite like the Wrangler. And for that reason they'll continue to sell. Personally, I'm becoming turned off by the JL pricing scheme the more I consider it, but again, nothing else out there quite like the Wrangler. It's like banging your against a wall hoping it will hurt less the more you do it. :headbang:

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
this is my cross shopping list, and no this are not like Wrangler but most are 4x4 or all wheel drive and could handle light off-rode with great on road comfort.

2018 Audi Allroad
2018 Audi Q5 and SQ5
2018 GC Overland and High Altitude
2018 Mercedes GLC AMG Coupe
2018 VW Tiguan Rline
2018 VW Atlas Rline

its crazy that i can get a New GLC AMG (60k) for around same price as JLUR (55 with v6, i want Diesel and auto roof so also 60k)

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
OP, even tho the build and price tool makes you upgrade the wheels when you select the LSD, you really don’t have to when ordering thru a dealer.

However, I think the biggest pricing problem with the new JL is their options. Not only did they jump in price, but they come standard in most other vehicles. My wife just got a Kia Sportage (I know it’s a Kia) but she got the sxt (highest model), turbo, leather, prox entry, full glass top/sunroof, heated AND COOLED seats, heated steering wheel, power lift gate, park assist, safety pkg, LED...all for $32K. My $50K plus Rubicon will not be as nice as hers. But I can hit the trails I guess lol.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hello guys. First post here.

I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL.
The Subaru Crosstrek.

While the market would hardly consider them competitors I like the lines on both the Wrangler and Crosstrek, they're both good in snow, and sporty looking.

I enjoy thinking of all the things I could buy with the saved money too.

Reactions: Moe

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's like I said last month after the reveal....a guy is going to have to REALLY want those removable doors and top to justify the price tag. For the money, you could drive a new full size, crew cab, 4x4 pickup truck. Or a 470 HP muscle car. Or just about anything in between. Makes the Wrangler a tough sell.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The JK is the Option. I think FCA gambled on the Wrangler Bubble, that people would buy no matter the cost, for the Image and lifestyle glitter. Sort of like the Housing Bubble...
Once the actual cost and size of monthly payments sinks in, that cools a lot of potential buyers.
I think the JK is the "alternative" here, it's significantly less $, tons of aftermarket support, and all of its quirks are well - documented. I think FCA got greedy, luckily, the market will correct this...

Reactions: Moe

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I think FCA got greedy, luckily, the market will correct this...
I doubt it, there is always the sport which will appeal to people that don’t want to spend 40-50k, they have made the vehicle more capable, more refined, while moving it upmarket..if anything, the wrangler is poised to become more coveted. Time will tell, but I see what they are trying to do and I’m happy that they are doing it vs countinuing the status quo, they flogged the JK horse for everything they had, it was time to step up the game.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I'm considering 3 things when I buy in 2019...all very different, but heavily leaning towards the JL.

Audi S5 Sportback
Porsche 718 Cayman
JL Rubicon Unlimited

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL. I was 90% set on buying a JL later this year but now with all the details set, I'm definitely having second thoughts after running the numbers. ...
I'm cross shopping with a first generation Bronco and/or a Unimog 404. Myself and family have had a lot of fun over the years with older 4x4s.

The estimated $35,000 I would spend on a base JLU Sport model could buy a lot of old 4x4 fun with money left over. But I do like what Jeep has done with the JLU and also the 4 door option. First step for me is getting my neglected old Series III Land Rover and CJ-7 back on the road this Spring. By then I will have seen and test driven the new JLU and have a better idea of the path forward. Most likely I will get the JLU even though yes, I would prefer the price at or below 30 grand.

At this point though, my wife would rather at least one new vehicle, so that goes into the equation, and that car might be the JLU. I'm middle aged and have never bought a new vehicle. I can afford it no problem - just not the way I typically roll. So a JLU would be my first new vehicle.

Sponsored

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
The Subaru Crosstrek.

While the market would hardly consider them competitors I like the lines on both the Wrangler and Crosstrek, they're both good in snow, and sporty looking.

I enjoy thinking of all the things I could buy with the saved money too.
I thought about a new cross trek with subtle solutions lift and K02s. I just couldn’t get over how damn boring they are to drive.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why would they have to be Clearance priced? The price increase for the JL automatically puts them at a discount vs the JL. I think that difference will sell out JKs no problem.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I'm sure the JK will go down, but probably only when JL inventory will arrive and when one ask in person not online unit very late in the year

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The JK is the Option. I think FCA gambled on the Wrangler Bubble, that people would buy no matter the cost, for the Image and lifestyle glitter. Sort of like the Housing Bubble...
Once the actual cost and size of monthly payments sinks in, that cools a lot of potential buyers.
I think the JK is the "alternative" here, it's significantly less $, tons of aftermarket support, and all of its quirks are well - documented. I think FCA got greedy, luckily, the market will correct this...
Yep, what people don't realize is that Wrangler sales have been decreasing since 2015. I personally believe that the reasons for that are:

1) Market saturation. They've finally gotten to the point where they are making so many Wranglers that you actually see them sitting on dealer lots for a long while.

2) Price. JK pricing increased a LOT from 2012 through 2017 for what was essentially the exact same vehicle.

And if you look at JL...both of those points are made worse. They plan to build even more JLs, and as we all know the prices have gotten even more ridiculous.

I personally think the 2018 JL Wrangler will sell pretty well because it's an all new model (just like what happened with JK in 2007 and the 119,000 sales they had that year) but starting in 2019 we'll see Wrangler sales continue to decrease. This will lead to a lot of Wranglers sitting on lots, and will likely end up generating huge rebates on JL models in coming years which is something else that Wrangler traditionally never saw.

Bottom line: They've taken a great thing and they've milked it too much. They've gotten greedy and it is coming back to bite them now.
Sponsored