Sponsored

What options would you recommend for/against for a new Jeep owner?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I'm looking at buying a JLU. I was looking at the Sport S and the following options are ones that I wanted:
- 6 cyl
- manual trans
- technology group
- trailer tow and HD electric
- premium sunrider soft top

I'm sure if I take one off the lot somewhere, I won't get all of those or I might get some other options that I'm not really considering right now. It seems like most around me are coming with the hard top, no tow/electrical and the cold weather package. I'm also interested in some sort of side step or running board since my young boys and wife might have a little trouble getting up into the Jeep.

Am I missing something that is better to have off the lot? Are there some better aftermarket? Like, a better soft top or tow hitch?
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm looking at buying a JLU. I was looking at the Sport S and the following options are ones that I wanted:
- 6 cyl
- manual trans
- technology group
- trailer tow and HD electric
- premium sunrider soft top

I'm sure if I take one off the lot somewhere, I won't get all of those or I might get some other options that I'm not really considering right now. It seems like most around me are coming with the hard top, no tow/electrical and the cold weather package. I'm also interested in some sort of side step or running board since my young boys and wife might have a little trouble getting up into the Jeep.

Am I missing something that is better to have off the lot? Are there some better aftermarket? Like, a better soft top or tow hitch?
I insisted on the trailer tow , and I'm glad I did . On the new JL the trailer tow comes with a better battery and better alternator . I have heard you will want to special order because of the wiring .

The 6cyl is a proven engine . Premium soft top is preferred . Manual trans is preferred for you , but ask wifey if she can drive it ?

(Someone else can comment on technology , because I hate technology , myself . Never had a tv , so why have a mobile phone ?)

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I insisted on the trailer tow , and I'm glad I did . On the new JL the trailer tow comes with a better battery and better alternator . I have heard you will want to special order because of the wiring .

The 6cyl is a proven engine . Premium soft top is preferred . Manual trans is preferred for you , but ask wifey if she can drive it ?

(Someone else can comment on technology , because I hate technology , myself . Never had a tv , so why have a mobile phone ?)
yeah, that better alternator and battery were looking pretty interesting to me. my wife did say she'd be interesting in learning how to drive the manual trans, but we've got a minivan and an Audi A4 with automatics that she can drive.

thank you for the info.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please make sure you also order the Anti-Spin Differential!!! An absolute must option if you do off Roading but also for Resale down the line!
off roading isn't something i'm planning... WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS? WHY ARE YOU BUYING A JEEP?!?!?! lol, actually, i'm currently driving a 2 door convertible. i want the Jeep more because it is a convertible that can fit 5 and i don't have to take my wife's minivan when i go camping.

but, it does interest me. i had an LSD in my Mini Cooper S years ago and that made such a huge difference when the roads weren't great. will this give me better traction in 2WD mode?

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Please make sure you also order the Anti-Spin Differential!!! An absolute must option if you do off Roading but also for Resale down the line!
This is another example why special ordering will get you exactly what you want .

Zelena’s green

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, Mojito green
I wanted a manual when I started this search as well, but after driving both options, I chose to get the 8 speed automatic instead. It is more responsive and feels like it has more power. I would recommend test driving both the stick and the auto before you decide. Oh, and we drove the 2.0 liter as well and didn’t like it. It’s too twitchy, it’s hyperactive and unpredictable when you push on the accelerator.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
off roading isn't something i'm planning... WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS? WHY ARE YOU BUYING A JEEP?!?!?! lol, actually, i'm currently driving a 2 door convertible. i want the Jeep more because it is a convertible that can fit 5 and i don't have to take my wife's minivan when i go camping.

but, it does interest me. i had an LSD in my Mini Cooper S years ago and that made such a huge difference when the roads weren't great. will this give me better traction in 2WD mode?
Yes because it’s in the rear differential only and if needed while it’s raining or if you are in snow I believe it will make a difference, it is much safer for you and your family if you drive in snow or crazy rain I would say. But when you go to sell the Jeep one day you will be discounting it a lot more then the $595 option cost to sell it I promise you.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes because it’s in the rear differential only and if needed while it’s raining or if you are in snow I believe it will make a difference, it is much safer for you and your family if you drive in snow or crazy rain I would say. But when you go to sell the Jeep one day you will be discounting it a lot more then the $595 option cost to sell it I promise you.
yeah, it sounds good. just keep in mind that it isn't a $595 upgrade since they force you to take a $895 wheel upgrade (?) which actually brings the price increase to $1500.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
yeah, it sounds good. just keep in mind that it isn't a $595 upgrade since they force you to take a $895 wheel upgrade (?) which actually brings the price increase to $1500.
Yes on the Sport S they did for 2018 but for 2019 I heard they stopped doing that!! On a standard sport they didn’t force you to upgrade the wheels. I am 100% positive you don’t have to take the upgraded wheel now on 2019 orders so it does keep the price at $595 now. That’s one of the reasons that was keeping me from ordering a Sport S as it pisses me off they make you take those ugly wheels for another $895 that most people will upgrade and dump and you can’t sell them for $300 brand new off your Jeep! Also my kids actually prefer the roll up windows anyway..lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted a manual when I started this search as well, but after driving both options, I chose to get the 8 speed automatic instead. It is more responsive and feels like it has more power. I would recommend test driving both the stick and the auto before you decide. Oh, and we drove the 2.0 liter as well and didn’t like it. It’s too twitchy, it’s hyperactive and unpredictable when you push on the accelerator.
i drove both, though i didn't drive them one right after each other. i wasn't even considering the 2.0 liter simply because it was too new and unproven. i know the whole car is new, but the 6-cyl engine has been around for a while at least.

maybe i should try driving them again, but on the same day.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes on the Sport S they did for 2018 but for 2019 I heard they stopped doing that!! On a standard sport they didn’t force you to upgrade the wheels. I am 100% positive you don’t have to take the upgraded wheel now on 2019 orders so it does keep the price at $595 now. That’s one of the reasons that was keeping me from ordering a Sport S as it pisses me off they make you take those ugly wheels for another $895 that most people will upgrade and dump and you can’t sell them for $300 brand new off your Jeep! Also my kids actually prefer the roll up windows anyway..lol
i've just started seeing references to the 2019 version. have there been any noticeable changes? looking around, it looks like the punk'n metallic is still here which is the color i was interested in.

Zelena’s green

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i drove both, though i didn't drive them one right after each other. i wasn't even considering the 2.0 liter simply because it was too new and unproven. i know the whole car is new, but the 6-cyl engine has been around for a while at least.

maybe i should try driving them again, but on the same day.
Highly recommend a side by side, or one right after the other comparison. Plus you get to drive a Jeep again. Information is power!

Zelena’s green

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i've just started seeing references to the 2019 version. have there been any noticeable changes? looking around, it looks like the punk'n metallic is still here which is the color i was interested in.
I want the leather option, and I didn’t like the pattern of the seats in the 19. Plus the mojito isn’t available in the 19, so I had to get mine ordered.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I want the leather option, and I didn’t like the pattern of the seats in the 19. Plus the mojito isn’t available in the 19, so I had to get mine ordered.
Mojito did stick around for 2019. Surprised us all. I ordered a red one though.
Sponsored