Sponsored

What options would you recommend for/against for a new Jeep owner?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I insisted on the trailer tow , and I'm glad I did . On the new JL the trailer tow comes with a better battery and better alternator . I have heard you will want to special order because of the wiring .

The 6cyl is a proven engine . Premium soft top is preferred . Manual trans is preferred for you , but ask wifey if she can drive it ?

(Someone else can comment on technology , because I hate technology , myself . Never had a tv , so why have a mobile phone ?)
Yet you have a computer and are surfing the internet? lol.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want the leather option, and I didn’t like the pattern of the seats in the 19. Plus the mojito isn’t available in the 19, so I had to get mine ordered.
You can still order Mojito. Mojito is still available for 2019 for now. The are supposed to replace it later in the year with Bikini later in the year.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at buying a JLU. I was looking at the Sport S and the following options are ones that I wanted:
- 6 cyl
- manual trans
- technology group
- trailer tow and HD electric
- premium sunrider soft top

I'm sure if I take one off the lot somewhere, I won't get all of those or I might get some other options that I'm not really considering right now. It seems like most around me are coming with the hard top, no tow/electrical and the cold weather package. I'm also interested in some sort of side step or running board since my young boys and wife might have a little trouble getting up into the Jeep.

Am I missing something that is better to have off the lot? Are there some better aftermarket? Like, a better soft top or tow hitch?
I'd get the cold weather in NJ. I'd get the hard top for security if you park in the City.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yet you have a computer and are surfing the internet? lol.
Computer is a communication substitute for my deaf person's phone , which has higher volume , but is not reliable nor understandable if someone phones me . So I tell all to e-mail me , and don't try to telephone . Obviously I have no use for a mobile phone , lol .

The only thing I could do with my deaf person's phone would be to dial and yell help . Without any conversation .

Last edited:
OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I'd get the cold weather in NJ. I'd get the hard top for security if you park in the City.
my current car has heated seats and i never liked it and with an manual trans, you can't get the remote start. so it seems like a lot for just getting heated steering wheel.

EDIT: i go back and forth with the hard top. i've got an A4 convertible right now which has a soft top and never had any issues. i basically just never put anything inside the car that anyone would want to steal. the Jeep will be tougher though because i would put my valuables in the trunk which the Wrangler doesn't have.

my friend bought a hardtop and he has issues storing it when he wants to take the top off. he had it just sitting on the floor of his garage, but was afraid of his daughter kicking something into one of the window panes. so, now he's looking at getting a thing in his garage to lift the top and keep it hanging in the air. i can't get my car into my garage (stupid driveway angle makes it tough) so that wouldn't work for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice the hard top is $1095 and the premium soft top is $795, but the dual top option is $2195. Are aftermarket hard tops or soft tops better? It seems like the new soft top is quite different than previous.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, it sounds good. just keep in mind that it isn't a $595 upgrade since they force you to take a $895 wheel upgrade (?) which actually brings the price increase to $1500.
Where did you see this? I didn't have to pay and $895 wheel upgrade.
The LSD package is $595 straight up, or was back in late June. It comes with the LSD, a heavier Dana 44 axle, plus better tires. It's a steal IMO.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Computer is a communication substitute for my deaf person's phone , which has higher volume , but is not reliable nor understandable if someone phones me . So I tell all to e-mail me , and don't try to telephone . Obviously I have no use for a mobile phone , lol .

The only thing I could do with my deaf person's phone would be to dial and yell help . Without any conversation .
Not true about a mobil cell phone not being any use to you. Most people don't bother calling and talking as much today. Most text. You can TEXT with a mobil phone.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice the hard top is $1095 and the premium soft top is $795, but the dual top option is $2195. Are aftermarket hard tops or soft tops better? It seems like the new soft top is quite different than previous.
It will be easier to buy a aftermarket soft top once BestTop starts offering them. Aftermarket hardtops are almost nonexistent. Your best bet would be to find a used hardtop someone does not want if you don't order one with your JL.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Not true about a mobil cell phone not being any use to you. Most people don't bother calling and talking as much today. Most text. You can TEXT with a mobil phone.
Thank you very much for the helpful suggestion . Actually , I don't think it would benefit me because I can't afford monthly charge , and I have other pressing expenses . ( Also , I have flash cards to show people if I ever need to ask an officer to call AAA for me , for example .)

I don't understand how the students at my nearby local high school can afford all the mobile phones and hot vehicles .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you are getting a 2-door , get the premium soft top and be happier . ( 4-door , I wouldn't know .)

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
First Punk'N is the best color, so you got that right lol.
2nd, Premium soft isn't worth the $800 IMO. get the standard for now, honestly, if your concerned about road noise get a hard top, the premium lowers road noise by like a fraction of a decibel.
Hardtop sucks to take off and store, you need a hoist, and it takes up a lot of room, and when it is off, you are left with no roof at all.
Tow package is well worth it.
Anti spin rear is also well worth it, but dealers do not order that package, you get a d44 in rear and a LSD...I would skip it if you won't be offroading, honestly the traction control is more than enough in rain and snow.
tech package is a must, the 7" UC4 is ok, I have trouble hearing if I am on the highway going 60+ next to an 18 wheeler, all other times it is adequate for me.
Cold weather package isn't for me either, I have convenience package with remote start and garage door opener...IMO it isn't freezing cold enough in NJ to warrant the CW package, remote start it in the winter, jeeps heat is incredible, takes 2 minutes for the inside to be hotter than the sun.

I would drive the 8 speed, unless your dead set on MT, I wanted a MT too, then drove the auto and it is amazingly smooth, that coupled with my back and SI problems when driving a MT too long sealed that deal, plus my wife cant drive stick and I am not teaching her how to.

My JLU Sport S
Auto
Standard soft top
Tech package
Convenience package
All weather floor mats
found on a lot in Budd Lake @ Johnson Jeep on 46, took me a month going to dealers, I liked them the best, they have a few jeep enthusiasts there...Where in NJ are you?

Added Rockhard 4x4 patriot sliders for a step for my kids, protection on the side and pinch seam for offroading

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you see this? I didn't have to pay and $895 wheel upgrade.
The LSD package is $595 straight up, or was back in late June. It comes with the LSD, a heavier Dana 44 axle, plus better tires. It's a steal IMO.
on the Jeep website. if you select the anti-spin differential, it says you have to take the upgraded wheels pushing the $595 up to $1490.

beK8mWh.png

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
That is a glitch on jeep website, if you build one at a dealer they can order it with the anti slip rear upgrade and not the wheel BS
I believe there are a few of those glitches when picking upgrades

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
on the Jeep website. if you select the anti-spin differential, it says you have to take the upgraded wheels pushing the $595 up to $1490.
Wow, that wasn't the case for the 2018 back in June! That makes the decision tougher. I hope it is a glitch because it really makes no sense.
Sponsored