What options are worth it?

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
If you even have an inkling of a desire for the hardtop it's so much cheaper to get the dual top or hardtop at purchase. If you go hardtop only eventually Bestop will come out with a frameless soft top.
Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
We ordered every option but the polished wheels and ashtray. So far I like all of the options especially the safety group. It will pay for itself in a few years from the insurance discount. The matched color top and fenders were the least return for the buck but I like the looks. I do like the looks of the polished wheels but didn't think it was worth the cost. It's nice to have a semi luxury Wrangler but I think our next vehicle will be a stripped down 6 speed that I can beat on.

Jordan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - soon
People have mentioned the upgraded infotainment system, pointing to the NAV as a plus. I get that the screen is 1.4" larger on the 8.4 vs 7, but if both have carplay and android auto, doesn't that make the built-in NAV almost useless? I thought that with carplay/android auto, you can choose where you want to go on your phone (with Google Maps), and that will show up on the screen? We have NAV in our Tacoma and have never used it once, as it's 10x easier to pull up directions on a phone, by searching for the name of the store or wherever we're going, than it is to try to type in the address on the NAV screen. Am I misunderstanding how carplay/android auto work?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
People have mentioned the upgraded infotainment system, pointing to the NAV as a plus. I get that the screen is 1.4" larger on the 8.4 vs 7, but if both have carplay and android auto, doesn't that make the built-in NAV almost useless? I thought that with carplay/android auto, you can choose where you want to go on your phone (with Google Maps), and that will show up on the screen? We have NAV in our Tacoma and have never used it once, as it's 10x easier to pull up directions on a phone, by searching for the name of the store or wherever we're going, than it is to try to type in the address on the NAV screen. Am I misunderstanding how carplay/android auto work?
The built in Nav can work when you have no signal which can be a nice feature for off-road.

But i agree with you. I am happy with the 7”, CarPlay, and base speakers. I am not an audiophile and with a soft top/doors that are off as much as possible it’s not a great environment for high end audio.

Other than LED it is all subjective.

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Tow package

Technology package

Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Get a rubicon for the stance, people think it’s already lifted, high line fenders and that hood hood make it worth it

The led light group- works great looks great

The 8 speed auto- shifts so smooth up and down the gears. High performance feel.

Premium soft top- easy to use. Rear corners come out, no zippers, when you take the windows out and doors off leave the roof up and it’s solid no flapping at all.

Don’t bother with infotainment with CarPlay you can use the navigation from your phone, play text messages and use all music apps. You can actually take phone calls driving with the top down with no problems.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
LED's and Dual top. (wish I got these....)
Power windows and locks
Keyless (wish I got the proximity system. So used to it on my wifes car)

I don't mind using the Android auto or whatever it's called for Nav. Used it last night in fact.

Keagan

First Name
Stephani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon, 2014 Z51 Corvette Convertible, 2013 Smart Fortwo
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the BOTTOM side logo

DriverSide.jpg

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I went with every option except for smokers group (don't smoke) and dual top group because I didn't want to have any regrets not opting for something. I also don't have deep pockets, but I've always been told that if you don't work for exactly what you want, you won't be happy with it. And the reason I went without the soft top is because I prefer the Trektop style soft top which I plan on picking up once it hits the market.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
We ordered every option but the polished wheels and ashtray. So far I like all of the options especially the safety group. It will pay for itself in a few years from the insurance discount. The matched color top and fenders were the least return for the buck but I like the looks. I do like the looks of the polished wheels but didn't think it was worth the cost. It's nice to have a semi luxury Wrangler but I think our next vehicle will be a stripped down 6 speed that I can beat on.
Already got mine brotha’ ...manual everything, tow, lsd, sirius

10E8A7BC-520D-4968-88D0-35D80EDCBC9A.jpeg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Cell phone NAV is fine if your always in a area where you are within cell coverage. Problem is when your on a road trip or in a area where cell reception is spotty. Satellite GPS is a lot better and more reliable on the open highway or in remote areas. Satellite GPS is better but not bulletproof. I have lost signal in canyons and roads where trees are blocking the sky. You can always pick up a Garmin or something.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Cell phone NAV is fine if your always in a area where you are within cell coverage. Problem is when your on a road trip or in a area where cell reception is spotty. Satellite GPS is a lot better and more reliable on the open highway or in remote areas. Satellite GPS is better but not bulletproof. I have lost signal in canyons and roads where trees are blocking the sky. You can always pick up a Garmin or something.
Both cell phone, Garmin stand-alone GPS, and factory navigation (GPS) is satellite based. They all get the location information from the same places -- the GPS satellites that are orbiting the planet. If you don't have a clear view of the sky, you're not going to get position information. All GPS does is give you the capability to determine your latitude and longitude. It is the responsibility of the user interface to plot that position onto a map. That map can either be stored completely locally or accessed via a network connection (e.g. Google Maps). For areas without cellular data service, there is a way under Google Maps to cache the data so that it will still provide maps to go along with your location.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The metal bumpers dont seem to be holding up or at least the rear one doesnt IF one uses the jeep as intended.

Hard top is noisier then soft top but has other features that might be worth it. Easier to have a hard top first then trying to get on later vs a soft top. Then again if you live in an area like I do and want the top off a lot a hard top is a PITA

The other stuff ....dunno

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Most options from FCA can be purchased aftermarket. That is the great thing about a Wrangler. Most options I could live without.
Example: Although I ordered automatic I love a stick.
There is one option that retails for $4k and I continue to wait for it... I have been waiting to order and receive it for over a year. Not one has been delivered yet. It is the Sky One-Touch Power Top.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Most options from FCA can be purchased aftermarket. That is the great thing about a Wrangler. Most options I could live without.
Example: Although I ordered automatic I love a stick.
There is one option that retails for $4k and I continue to wait for it... I have been waiting to order and receive it for over a year. Not one has been delivered yet. It is the Sky One-Touch Power Top.
All I have to do is look at cars that park underneath trees or power lines in the large parking lots of stores or other companies and that will show me that I really don't want to take the top off my car. Back in the late '80s, I had a brand new black car and I parked it at my office. I wasn't paying attention and where I parked it was right under some power lines. When I came out at the end of the day, there was this very wide white/gray stripe across my car from the birds that had frequented that power line and decided to take a dump on my car. Lesson learned -- don't park under power lines. When I go to some of the big-box stores, I see people parking under the trees to get some shade so that their car will be cooler. When they come back out of the store, their car is often well peppered with bird shit. So, topless or with ragtop retracted? Nawh, I don't think so...
Sponsored