What options are worth it?

JoeBowler300

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Definetly not the upgraded wheels! Over priced and don’t look much better(maybe even worse) then what they come with; I would rather put that money towards after market wheels. Remote start only if you’ll be pre-heating the cab in cold weather; and of course you’ll need the automatic transmission option to use that. If you’re a stick guy then you just saved $2500(not counting interest like Russjeep1 pointed out). I wanted leather seats so pet hair doesn’t stick to them and easily wipes right off ; however I didn’t get them cause I’m getting the Katzkin leather instead. With the Katzkin I’m able to get two tone leather seats with diamond padded stitching and a sewn in picture or logo for about $200 more than the manufacturer’s charge for their leather. I’m also throwing in after market heated seats cause yeah, they are nice on a cool morning or night. Matching color top? Not worth it IMO if you can avoid that up charge but that is a personal choice for sure. I’m mixed about the Safety Group ; you don’t need it if you have a backup camera and we’ve all driven previously without the warning that someone’s on the side of you, best to turn your head and look anyways ; however, on my other vehicles I have it and cross traffic detection somebody is coming in your path in a parking lot works well, really well! It can help you avoid a silly fender bender and the pain that comes with remedying it. Tow package? Yeah pretty much a must have for a rubicon and the dealer price really isn’t too bad. Steel bumpers? Maybe for some, especially the truly off-roader types, I can see that as a must have for them but wasn’t for me. Infotainment package? Pricey but yeah probably because you get the better screen, navigation(though with car play nowadays that’s not too important) and the better Alpine stereo and speakers. I didn’t get the LED lights but plan on getting them sometime in the future; the factory lights are old school dim and not all that great. Good luck with your purchase!
Sponsored

Last edited:

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
These are a must, not a like to have:
  • Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4" Display
  • LED Lighting Group

This is a PITA if you decide you need it after the fact...and more expensive to install:
  • Towing Package

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
These are a must, not a like to have:
  • Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4" Display
  • LED Lighting Group

This is a PITA if you decide you need it after the fact...and more expensive to install:
  • Towing Package
It's only more expensive if you are adding everything that it includes. For many of us, we don't need the slightly larger battery & alternator or the switches. All we really need is the receiver hitch and that can be had for less than $100.

Last edited:

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
It's only more expensive if you are adding everything that it includes. For many of us, we don't need the slightly larger battery nor alternator. All we really need is the receiver hitch and that can be had for less than $100.
Its actually the wiring harness that's the costly thing IF you have it installed by the dealer. The installation is a real big PITA. The alternator and battery are oh never minds...

I had the OEM hitch and harness installed. Price for parts and installation was $1K. Parts alone are $450, list. But yes, a JK/JL hitch for $100 will work if you don't need the 7/4 pin connection.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
For me, I wouldn’t leave the dealership without the larger screen and LED group. Those are musts. I love that I can keep the radio page open with a mini map at the same time (to show traffic issues). That’s a huge plus over the smaller screen. Plus, the LEDs are clean and good looking, so aftermarket would simply just give me what i could already get from the factory.

Opinion item- hard top. I had a softy once and with hail, crazy wind and the want to randomly use a standard car wash- I went to hard top. Not as easy to take in the sun, but much less worry when things get nasty around here.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would never have a hard top, use other vehicles to tow, and am very happy without the infotainment system.

Just goes to show there is no universal answer to this question.

The only no brainer to me is the LED option. Remember it is not just the headlights. It includes fog lights, tail lights, and fender DRL.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
As others have pointed out depends a lot on what you like. Where you are the cold weather package probably doesn't make sense, for me up here in Canada yup, a very worthwhile option.

This is my short list.

But #1 on any JL would be the trailer tow package. Not only for the switches but for the upgraded alternator and battery though just looking through the JL brochure and they actually didn't publish the ratings for the stock setup. Perhaps this is in the owners manual? Installing the wiring is also a PITA so I would buy the factory installed version just to save me this headache.

Hard or soft top.... I know they have really changed the way the soft top is attached but if security is an issue as it is here in Toronto where I've had friends who have had their tops stolen this might also be a consideration. Those are not JL however, I haven't looked at how this version is attached but wonder if it too is easy to have wander off.

The 8.4 U-Connect, we have that in our Ram pickup, really nice system and with the upgraded Pioneer speakers/sub it sounds really good. Granted I don't crank my music up to ear bleeding levels anymore especially after my last hearing test that revealed a fairly substantial high frequency hearing loss.....

So basically above is what I would option out on a Rubicon with perhaps the 8 speed automatic as the wild card depending on if there was one on a lot in the colour I liked and the price was too good to pass up. Discounts up here on JL is between Zero and $3000 tops depending on options.

Someone mentioned wheels, I too am not a fan of the 'upgraded' wheels on the Rubicon either. Granted I'm not a fan of the stock wheels. Not sure why these are not an option, P/N 77072472AB or these, P/N 77072471AB and when it comes time and I order instead of buying off the lot the first thing I'm going to find out is if I can have either of these swapped in for the stock wheels.

I looked at upgrading a Sport S and by the time you start adding in all the upgraded Rubicon parts I would want I don't know if it is worth the time and effort vs just having it roll of the transporter ready to go.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
For a Rubi I would say LED, tow, and infotainment and that's it.

I personally don't like leather, first time tops off in the sun you will burn your asshole right off.
Steel bumper group isn't worth it IMO either, far better looking and cheaper bumper options aftermarket
Cold weather package is useless, who needs heated seats and steering wheel, jeeps have great heat.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i have a basic sport 2 dr. the only option i picked was AC, hard top, and automatic. I will do some off roading but there really is no rock crawling around me. I am getting rock sliders and window tinting and that is pretty much it. I am happy with my JL the way it is. I wish jeep would have put a gas tank cover as standard equipment instead of a 125 dollar after market price, I will get some weather tech floor mats but that should do it for me... i really like the JL as it is

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
I would ask yourself what features your current vehicle has, and whether or not you could live with or without those options. Then on the flip-side, ask yourself, what is the JLU that you want will potentially have, that your vehicle does not.

For me, I would prefer not to live with out power windows and doors, and keyless entry. I will be coming from a Toaster, so other options that the JLU has over my xB is ride height, capability, stock tech being far advanced than my 2006. Standard Bluetooth and real-time gauges are something I have lived with out for the last 11 years and looking forward to a minor tech upgrade.

Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I think all of the options I ordered on my Turbo Sahara are worth it, but that’s why I ordered them of course.

That being said, I would not buy ANY new car that only came with halogen lights, so if I could only choose one option package, I would 100% go for the LEDs. They are insanely bright.

On a side note, all 2.0T JLs already come with the upgraded 700amp battery and don’t have an alternator at all, so the tow package isn’t really worth it since it costs the same but only comes with half of the equipment.

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My JLUR came off the lot due to a ridiculous trade offer on my JKU that I couldn't pass up. BUT it has pretty much everything I wanted. What it does not have is the LED Light package and the steel bumpers which I will be keeping an eye out for. The highlights of what it does have are: manual transmission, leather heated seats, upgraded stereo with nav, tow package, hard top(IMHO a must have for WA State 9 months out of the year) and blind spot monitors. Its all a personal preference and really you can get almost anything added from Mopar or found in the aftermarket. Some purists will tell you that none of its worth it and to mod everything later but at the end of the day its your paycheck. It's all worth it to the right person and if you value doing it yourself stick to the basics. If you value convenience, pay for everything you can afford up front and get out and enjoy your new rig on day 1. Great thing about Wranglers, you can't ever really do it wrong, someone is always going to appreciate it whether you make a bad ass rock crawler, a bad ass mall crawler or stick to stock.

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
At least a 7" screen and 9 speaker sound and LED lighting. For me a Rubicon was also a must and all but the LED might have been standard.

I say the LED because aftermarket is a bit lacking.

What is not worth it is steel bumper and upgraded wheels because those you probably want custom anyway. Also, if any auto did NOT need a blind spot monitor, it's a wrangler.

Just my opinions.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
After test driving the new 6-speed, I would say $2,000 for an automatic transmission is a ripoff. Unless you drive in heavy traffic a lot. Most other vehicles only charge $800-1200 for an auto.