Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
That's pretty sweet!
I agree with you on that! I see it as cheap insurance on getting you to a gas station or at least to somewhere that you can get help/gas

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I agree with you on that! I see it as cheap insurance on getting you to a gas station or at least to somewhere that you can get help/gas
I agree and was considering something as well for the 392. I’m getting two rotopax on the back of my Turtleback trailer spare tire carrier. I think when towing the trailer on trips is when I would need fuel the most.

I actually plan to off road and camp/tow with my 392. Part of me doesn’t want to mess it up but the other half of me knows life’s too short. So why not?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
OP
OP
richk225

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I intend to grab one of these before I go out west next time with my 392.

https://dragojeepproducts.com/colle...x-mount-holder-bracket-for-mopar-tire-carrier
This looks like a nice little set up, the only thing is that you have to also use the $600 Mopar tailgate reinforcement. With the cost of the tanks and mounting bracket`s, it brings the cost at over $1k for this setup, that's a lot of coin just to carry 3 gallons of fuel

RELBUS, Could you please post some pic`s after you do the install? Are you just going to have one 3 gallon tank?

Jeep Wrangler JL What options are there for carrying extra fuel on a 392 Rubicon 1630174191442

Jeep Wrangler JL What options are there for carrying extra fuel on a 392 Rubicon 1630174132855

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I will also vouch for LoD.

Top notch quality, durable, and it is strong.
but heavy AF. I took mine off and for sale. I had to swap out my 2.5 in spring for a 3.5 in spring to maintaining my 2.5 in lift after the lod bumper….

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I know others have mentioned their concerns with the 392 only holding 21 gallons of fuel.
I have heard about the long range fuel tank coming out soon and I believe that id going to be over $2k
What do you all think about this option? it also allows you to carry water on the side tanks of the bumper

https://www.rubitrux.com/aev-jeep-w...tire-carrier-combo-12302000ac-12302500aa.html

Jeep Wrangler JL What options are there for carrying extra fuel on a 392 Rubicon 1630174132855
The water tanks were nixed with the JL variant to accommodate the park assist sensors (which are over-sensitive and trigger from all manner of non-obstruction objects). That said, I love the 10 gallons of diesel integrated behind the spare on my 3.0. Gives me 650 mile range with a 6000lb loadout on 37s. If my 3.0 ever decides to cause trouble, it’ll be swapped for a less complex 392 with fuel range as the primary trade off.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The OP asked about an aux fuel option which I have personal experience with and provided feedback regarding said option.
Yeah... I realized after I made the post. My mistake.

I've probably been reading too many other 392 threads that aren't in any way actually 392 specific.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They had a pre-production long range extended america tank at Overland Expo this weekend for the Gladiator diesel and stated they were making them for the 392 as well. So we know they're coming. 39 gallons I believe. The issue though I think will be fitment if you have aftermarket axles.

LEDS

First Name
Leif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED, 2023 Rubicon 392
I like the way you think!

My brother had thought of something they used to do many years ago back when there were Van Inn`s, and customized Vans were king, and going camping in his van. It was involving a roof mounted rack and he had a plastic tank made to hold water for showers etc. along with a spare on top

I`m not sure if I want that much gas on top of me. I have a excellent fabricator that is looking into making a aluminum tank that would sit in the cargo area, possibly 4"-5" deep and baffled. I guess I could always put my fuel cell in the back

I do like the setup Jeepkin has along with the tank that mounts behind the spare. I really just want something somewhat safe but more importantly secure, so it doesn't get a set of legs and runoff.
I have seen Jerry cans on the back of a Jeep and they were marked Mens and Woman`s, not so sure I would want to unscrew that cap.

The way things go for me is that I will usually spend a boatload of money on making something that I can't find, and 2 months later it comes to market minus the headaches and high cost.

Just like the 392 Recon Rubicon had to come out 2 months after I took delivery of my 392 Rubicon....
I just finished a long road trip with a load (not gas) up top. It turned my 2008 Rubicon Unlimited from a terrible handling vehicle into a real menace. I knew what I was getting into, but had no choice.

One thing to watch out for with tanks containing liquid is the "free surface effect". This is a common problem with ships also. Unless the tank is completely full or extremely well baffled, the vehicle will lean a little, liquid will run to one side, causing the vehicle to lean more that way, causing more liquid to run to that side. This isn't a problem if the tank is mostly vertical or is mounted down low, like the standard fuel tank.

I don't really like fuel inside the Jeep either, if I can help it. I have a Titan 12 gallon tank coming in a few days. The type that mounts between the spare tire and the car. That's the best solution that I have come up with so far. good luck whichever way you go.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
These attach to the door hinges. I am using these to tote 3 gallon rotopax. Out of the way, easy on, easy off. While you are gassing up, most times you don't have to take off the DS to fill it. Another plus in my book. Only PITA thing was breaking the hinge bolts loose as they are painted in. Good 1/2" breaker bar and the right star bit, and they come right out. https://reddotengineering.com/product-category/brands/jeep/