Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So my original plan was to order the 2.0 Turbo Sport S with Technology package, but my plans were accelerated and we bought The V-6 Sahara with LEDs off the lot. Reason being was the looming threat of transmission failure in the trade in vehicle. If that had gone out, it would have delayed my purchase by a few months or severely reduced the value of the trade when the Jeep would have been delivered.

So I "gave up" the turbo and gained LEDs and a higher trim level.
Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
I did not give up any option I wanted or felt I really needed with different reasons. The options I did NOT select for my JLUS are:

1. Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System - I wanted the Limited Slip Differential. I did not need or want both.
  2. Engine Block Heater - Just don't need it.
  3. Cold Weather Group - Had heated seats in a different vehicle and never used them. I almost got it just to have it for others but they forced you to get remote start (another feature I don't want). Had they not forced the remote start I may have added this feature.
  4. Electronic Infotainment System Group - Did not feel I needed the larger screen and would certainly not use the navigation. Alpine that comes packaged I did not want for the price. If I feel I needed an audio upgrade I can do much better aftermarket here.
  5. Dual Top Group - Don't want a hard top. I just don't have a need for it.
  6. Smoker's Group - Does anybody actually get this?
  7. 18-Inch x 7.5-Inch Tech Gray Polished Face Wheels - I don't like the look of these.
  8. Leather-Trimmed Seats with Sahara Logo - For this price I can get much nicer aftermarket with Katzkin.
  9. Alpine® Premium Audio System - As stated before, if I feel the need for better sound I can get much better aftermarket.
  10. All-Weather Floor Mats - You lose the INCLUDED carpet mats. I will just buy separate. (FYI it costs $130.00 if you want to buy the carpeted mats afterwards. They should simply offer you the option of carpeted or all weather at no cost.
  11. Hard Top Headliner - Did not get hard top.
  12. Remote-Start System - Just don't need remote start / don't want it
just curious -- if you are getting the all weather floor mats at factory instead of the carpet, I don't understand why you would want them both? I will get the all weather mats eventually but don't think I would keep the originals anyway. serious question not trying to be funny

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
just curious -- if you are getting the all weather floor mats at factory instead of the carpet, I don't understand why you would want them both? I will get the all weather mats eventually but don't think I would keep the originals anyway. serious question not trying to be funny
I did not think you were trying to be funny and took it as a serious question.

Just a personal annoyance that if you buy the carpeted mats they are $130.00. Why would I pay for all weather mats for an additional $130.00 just to have the manufacturer take the carpeted ones I paid for in the original price away. Screw that, I'll store them and if I end up trading in this Jeep on a future JL I'll put the carpets in and keep my all weather mats for the new Jeep.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
I did not think you were trying to be funny and took it as a serious question.

Just a personal annoyance that if you buy the carpeted mats they are $130.00. Why would I pay for all weather mats for an additional $130.00 just to have the manufacturer take the carpeted ones I paid for in the original price away. Screw that, I'll store them and if I end up trading in this Jeep on a future JL I'll put the carpets in and keep my all weather mats for the new Jeep.
I never thought of it like that. that makes sense. thanks.

Sponsored

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Ordered a Firecracker Red JLUR with:
8-Speed Auto
Leather Seats
Steel Bumper Group
Safety Group
Infotainment Group
LED
Trailer Tow/HD Electrical
Cold Weather (necessary in the NE)
Black 3 Piece Hard Top (also necessary in the NE)

Skipped out on:
2.0T Engine: Didn't feel like waiting, newer engine than the tried and tested Pentastar, Fuel Economy savings was insignificant compared to the 3.6L (but who buys a Jeep for fuel economy?), on the flip side that torque number is woody worthy
Dual Top/Soft Top(s): More practical to purchase the hard top from Jeep because of the wiring and tubing required for it, then purchase the soft top aftermarket or from another Jeeper
Smoker's Group: Don't need it, and with the two rear cupholders moved to the headrest/armrest, I'll need whatever cupholders I can get!
Sting-Gray: I really wanted it at first, but didn't want to wait. Personally, I feel like Firecracker Red is more of a timeless color. I really like the Sting Gray now but part of me feels like it's just another automotive fad that will die out and I'll get sick of it. The Firecracker Red just glows even on a gloomy day! A buddy of mine has a red TJ and it looks like it aged very well
Upgraded Wheels: I like the standard wheel package a lot more. Just not my cup o' tea. And why pay for it if it's going to get scratched up later on
Body Color Fender Flares: I was back and forth on this one, ultimately decided against it. Why? All these boxes ticked off was starting to get real pricey and I needed to save somewhere. That and I know I'll just get super annoyed when rocks get kicked up and mess up the paint on them. With just black, I can just take a heat torch or something to smoothen it out. My concerns with the black fender flares (and black hard top) are just fading (which can be prevented with a treatment of Aerospace 303 and treated with that or Back to Black or FIRE!)
All-Weather Floor Mats: Like others have said, ordering them from the factory will replace the carpeted floor mats. Also, I wanted to get the red Jeep logo on my mats. They seem to be cheaper on eBay (~$100) and I ordered a set, along with the plastic doorsill plates and cargo tub liner, when eBay was running a 20% off everything coupon code for Daylight Savings Time ending (as they do before most holidays, just check eBay and Slickdeals for a post regarding a coupon code for a discount) On top of that, if I feel like it I can always sell the carpeted mats after delivery.
Hard-Top Headliner: Really, Jeep? $525? I'll just wait for the aftermarket if I even want something. Regardless, the noise intrusion isn't even bad, even on the Rubicon with the 285/70/R17 KO2's
Jeep Trail Rated Kit: Probably better and cheaper stuff aftermarket
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry: I was also back on forth on this one. The inner lazy man in me thought not having to take the keys out of my pocket to open the doors and start the car was awesome. But eh, I can live without it. It would probably be very relieving to get that giant key fob out of my pocket anyway.

Still on the fence:
Mopar Trunk Liner: I think its smart to have the liner go up the rear seat for when the seats are folded. I don't think I'll be using the tie downs much, and I didn't get the Trail Rail Management system (didn't know much about it and couldn't even order it so whatever) I wish they would've had a mat that covered the whole cargo area with openings for the tie downs. I'll likely purchase Husky liners and just cut out slits for the tie downs if I ever need it.
Side note: If you dont get the Jeep all weather floor mats and are thinking of the Weathertech's, don't. I have the Weathertech floor mats in my Accord and there's nothing on the bottom of the passenger and rear mats that keep it from sliding around. Consequently, the edges have bent in or warped. A cheaper and better option is the Husky liners. I put them in my sister's Civic and they haven't moved one bit. Each mat is exactly how it is supposed to be and no abnormal wear and tear (or any at all, yet). The bottom's have many spikes to keep them in place in the vehicle. I'm sure they will come out with the JL's soon.

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I jumped the gun and purchased an incoming billet silver JLUR because I could not wait — if I waited 10-12 weeks I would have fully optioned it out.

What I am really missing that I care about
  • Steel Bumper
  • Dual top option
  • Body color fenders

Missing but don’t really care:
  • Remote Proximity
  • Active Safety Group

What I am getting that I did not want:
  • Upgraded Rubicon Wheels with polished Lip - $895! Wow.
Anyone in the PNW that wants upgraded Rubicon Wheels?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
The new price increase, and drive to get an even more true-to-the-original Wrangler mean that I have given up the $1,100 hardtop option. This is probably only going to be a daily driver for 3-4 years before going part time, and the new soft top is very convenient to operate.

Plus, buying a hardtop on a Sport and having to buy an aftermarket softtop would be a total cost a couple thousand higher. That money is just gonna go into the second car, which gets to be a sports car, since the Wrangler can cover winter duty!

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
Leather seats - would be nice, but had to draw the line somewhere.
Painted fenders - worry about taking rock hits from wider tires on Rubicon and rock rails provide no protection.
Painted Hard Top - felt the black top and black full fenders will compliment and contrast with the Punk'd color

If money grew on trees, I'd have all three options. But if money grew on trees, I'd probably have a Hemi installed! :)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Leather seats - would be nice, but had to draw the line somewhere.
Painted fenders - worry about taking rock hits from wider tires on Rubicon and rock rails provide no protection.
Painted Hard Top - felt the black top and black full fenders will compliment and contrast with the Punk'd color

If money grew on trees, I'd have all three options. But if money grew on trees, I'd probably have a Hemi installed! :)
If you like / want leather you are paying a premium for sub par quality in the package. Down the road if you want upgrade with Katzkin. If done through a dealer you can get the Rubicon stitching in the seats same as factory. For the same money or little more you can get custom stitching etc with a much better quality leather.

Just wanted to share since you seem to like the leather. Do it later and get much better IMO.

Sponsored

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
If you like / want leather you are paying a premium for sub par quality in the package. Down the road if you want upgrade with Katzkin. If done through a dealer you can get the Rubicon stitching in the seats same as factory. For the same money or little more you can get custom stitching etc with a much better quality leather.

Just wanted to share since you seem to like the leather. Do it later and get much better IMO.
That's good info...Thank you.

MJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WK, 15 328d sport wagon. 2018 JLUR
I left out the steel bumper, dual top, body color flares & top.

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a well equipped Sahara.

While doing price calculation at home and seeing the total, I decided to keep the "bare minimum" of what I really wanted, meaning I removed the following:
Dual top
Remote proximity keyless entry
Trailer tow and electronic group

While at the dealer, they seemed unable to get the following options, so that got removed as well:
Trail rail cargo management system
Black Mopar fuel-filler door

All in all, I didn't removed that many pricey options, but it managed the total a bit :P

That being said, I ordered the fuel door on eBay and will do the same for the trail rail once it's available. I may also get a basic hitch to mount bike and ski racks.