Sponsored

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

• Total voters

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) forum is an awesome source for everything slippery. I run Mobil 1 in my Challenger, Amsoil in my Harley, and I'm thinking of using Royal Purple in the Wrangler because I can get it at about the same price as Mobil 1. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, just always wanted to give RP a go.
Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Whatever oil comes with my first 4 free oil changes.
As much as I would love to get the 4 free oil changes, my experience with my '08 Challenger warns me against it. I took the Challenger in to the dealer (first change free and the factory filter was installed by an 800lb Gorilla) because at the time 0w40 was pretty scarce. Found out the dealer used a bulk Dino oil instead. Made them change it on their dime and never went back. I do my own oil changes. YMMV.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As much as I would love to get the 4 free oil changes, my experience with my '08 Challenger warns me against it. I took the Challenger in to the dealer (first change free and the factory filter was installed by an 800lb Gorilla) because at the time 0w40 was pretty scarce. Found out the dealer used a bulk Dino oil instead. Made them change it on their dime and never went back. I do my own oil changes. YMMV.
I have been using the same dealer for 15yrs and know the service guys - having got his kind of relationship has its benefits so I am not worried - 4 free oil changes and 5 tire rotations I will take them - they would be doing it even if it wasn’t free

Reactions: VNT

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
The oil that Jeep sends from the factory is a real good break in oil. Every savvy tech I have ever talked to say to change that break in oil and filter after 3000 miles and you are good to go. Every 4000-5000 after that with a blend on the Pentastar depending on conditions. They say you can use the full synthetic but don't need to.
Are you sure it's a breakin oil used from the factory? I have been told it's 0w 20 penzoil synthetic is what the factory uses. Thanks

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Are you sure it's a breakin oil used from the factory? I have been told it's 0w 20 penzoil synthetic is what the factory uses. Thanks
There is no break in fluids used in the JL - in fact most OEMS no longer use break in oils.

Sponsored

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
There is no break in fluids used in the JL - in fact most OEMS no longer use break in oils.
It's a 0w20 synthetic right? You were suppose to wait on using synthetic till at least after 3000mi I thought?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I’ll be using 5w-20 Amsoil signature series. 0w-20 is too thin for my liking for a motor that puts off as much heat as it does.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It's a 0w20 synthetic right? You were suppose to wait on using synthetic till at least after 3000mi I thought?
Nah - wives tale. Comes from the factory with full synthetic. Just do an early oil change around 2500 miles or so. I would use the recommended oil and grade.

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Nah - wives tale. Comes from the factory with full synthetic. Just do an early oil change around 2500 miles or so. I would use the recommended oil and grade.
Thank you! I'm insane with fluids usually change them at half life. I'm actually going to do my first oil change at about 500 miles.

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray
Royal purple 0w-20 every 3000 miles with MOPAR filter, and i add NMF ionic friction reducer. Works like magic and at 40k miles mine still purrs like new.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Those studies are out there and there is so much complex chemistry, that there can be wide variations in performance. You can do your own, study, right in front of your own eyes. Just take a bottle of Mobil 1 5w30 and a bottle of Pennzoil 5w30. Cool them to 40 below zero, then pour them out. (Heck, do it at 10 below and look at the rate of flow.) You'll see right there what one oil can do that the other can't. For most people and typical use of these Jeeps, will the plain Pennzoil do the job? Yes, and it will do it well. Some of us prefer to have the extra margin of performance.

there was a guy on JK-forum who takes his JK up to diamond mines in northern Canada. His Jeep simply will not even turn over at the temperatures up there, with regular oil. He has to run a high quality synthetic, and typically runs Mobil 1 EP 5w20. His Jeep starts right up with it. Will I ever seen temps like that? Probably not. However, I'm convinced it reduces wear during cold starts that I do experience in Indiana, which can be 10 to 15 below zero, and on rare occasion, colder than that. On the flip side, crawling at 1mph in 100+ degree heat in the Southwest, I'll take the high end synthetic oil with a much higher flash point.

I've had good luck with inexpensive conventional oils, but the convincer for me was my 2.5 liter YJ. The valve train looked brand new after 130k miles, and compression met the spec for a brand new engine. It ran Mobil 1 its entire life, up to that point, except for the factory fill. Overkill? Maybe. But in my $50,000 JL, I'll spend a bit more for the top of the line synthetic. Why would I spend so much on a vehicle, only to run the cheapest oil? On top of all that, maintaining, washing, and waxing the Jeep is as much a hobby as anything else. I spend money on my hobbies. (Especially on the Jeep. Probably too much. It is an addiction, really!)

Here ya go...Mobil 1 (Not their best Mobil 1, either, Shell Rotella, Wal Mart synthetic, and Castrol Edge). I really thought the Castrol would do better. Yikes! The Mobil 1, btw, is the High Mileage formula 5w30, which I use in my JK.) I'd love to see Mobil 1 0w20 AP. It would do even better. Probably much better.

The Wal Mart oil didn't do too badly. It is made by Warren oil company, which makes some pretty good stuff. I think it would out perform Pennzoil Platinum, which is a very good oil, too. The Castrol is good stuff, but man, it wouldn't be my choice for extreme cold. I was surprised by how poorly it did. Of course, most of these are Group 3 synthetics. The Mobil 1 and Amsoil have at least some Group IV or PAO, which is a more pure synthetic base stock. Group IV simply handles extremes better, no doubt about it.

First...a tip o' the hat to you for all of the GREAT info you bring to the forum! Question regarding intervals: Whether running M1 AP or EP....how often do YOU change those oils? And do you like Fram Ultra for the JL 3.6?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
First...a tip o' the hat to you for all of the GREAT info you bring to the forum! Question regarding intervals: Whether running M1 AP or EP....how often do YOU change those oils? And do you like Fram Ultra for the JL 3.6?
Thanks, Bobby! I've been back and forth. I've done a couple 5k runs on the Mobil 1 and 7k on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I've currently got M1 AP in there and I'm at 4k. I'll go all the way to 0% on the oil life monitor on this run. I may just keep doing that or stick with 5k. I'll decide after the next analysis and will report back. Any of these oils can easily handle the full distance on the OLM, which will be between 7500 and 9k, I think.

In my humble opinion, the Fram XG is the best common filter on the market. I'll be running Mobil 1 filters for a good while, though, since I found 12 or 13 of them on clearance at Walmart for $4 each! The M1 is my second favorite, due to its filtering efficiency being a little less than the Fram XG. I also like the Fram Tough Guard and even the Extra Guard in the 3.6's cartridge form. If I hadn't found the M1's, though, I'd exclusively run the XG. BTW, the Amsoil filters are great, too, but I can't get them cheaply or at the local Walmart.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks, Bobby! I've been back and forth. I've done a couple 5k runs on the Mobil 1 and 7k on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I've currently got M1 AP in there and I'm at 4k. I'll go all the way to 0% on the oil life monitor on this run. I may just keep doing that or stick with 5k. I'll decide after the next analysis and will report back. Any of these oils can easily handle the full distance on the OLM, which will be between 7500 and 9k, I think.

In my humble opinion, the Fram XG is the best common filter on the market. I'll be running Mobil 1 filters for a good while, though, since I found 12 or 13 of them on clearance at Walmart for $4 each! The M1 is my second favorite, due to its filtering efficiency being a little less than the Fram XG. I also like the Fram Tough Guard and even the Extra Guard in the 3.6's cartridge form. If I hadn't found the M1's, though, I'd exclusively run the XG. BTW, the Amsoil filters are great, too, but I can't get them cheaply or at the local Walmart.
Pretty much where I'm at, got a dozen of those bargain M1 filters from a couple stores earlier this year. I only use Pennz Platinum in all my vehicles unless there's some crazy sale going on w/ a similar oil. I go about 6k OCI when running full Synthetic and always had great UOAs, no need for me to change anything at this point, and won't run out of those M1s until my extended 8 yr/75k warranty is up, lol.
Sponsored