Sponsored

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

• Total voters

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the good news is that I did my second oil change tonight at about 3250 miles since the first change. I swapped out the Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for Mobil 1 AP 0w20. I also discovered that the Pentastar is going to twist any and all oil filters, no way around it. The Fram Ultra Guard's pleats are backed by metal mesh. There are no filters I've seen that are stronger. Only a Mobil 1 filter has similar construction. It still twisted a bit. (I'll post a photo tomorrow night.) The pleats were not compromised, though and had no tears or apparent stress. It still looked better than the original Mopar filter did at 2,000 miles.

Anyway, I made one big mistake. I forgot to get a sample of the outgoing oil for analyisis, from the middle of the drain stream. After cursing myself a bit, I sampled the trickle from the end of the draining process. That's not recommended, but what the heck. I'm going to send it in anyway. It may not be ideal or even recommended, but it will at least tell me how the viscosity held up, which should be just fine after only 3,000 miles on a 15,000 mile rated oil.

I'll be running the M1 AP oil until mid October, when I'll change it out before going to Moab. It won't need it, but I like the idea of fresh oil when I'm going to be doing lots of crawling.

I'm going to ask Blackstone what they think of sending this end of stream (trickle) sample. Unless they give me good reason to think it is worthless, then I'll go ahead and send it and post the results when I get them. I'm expecting wear metals to still be a bit high, although lower than the factory oil. These engines take a few oil changes to get the break-in done and the by products of it out of the system. I expect the viscosity to be still solidly a 20 weight, with no shearing. Fuel dilution will be extremely low, as is typical in the Pentastar, and also because I don't often take short trips where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up. Silicones should start trending downward, too. I won't get a TBN number because it makes no sense after only 3k miles on the 15k rated oil. There will be plenty of TBN left.

The 3.6 seemed to agree with the M1 EP. It didn't have any ticks or noise, such as from the valves. It was smooth throughout the run. First impression with the new AP oil is the same. We shall see.

Oh, I also put another Fram Ultra Guard in there. I'd love to see the rest of you post pics of your oil filters along with how many miles on them. I'm just curious as to how much these Pentastars abuse them.
Sponsored

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
I also discovered that the Pentastar is going to twist any and all oil filters, no way around it. The Fram Ultra Guard's pleats are backed by metal mesh. There are no filters I've seen that are stronger. Only a Mobil 1 filter has similar construction. It still twisted a bit. (I'll post a photo tomorrow night.) The pleats were not compromised, though and had no tears or apparent stress. It still looked better than the original Mopar filter did at 2,000 miles.
I can’t speak for filters done at the dealership, however I’ve had zero issues with WIX filters (P/N WL10010). I keep a case on hand has I have my JK and a small fleet of Dodge Grand Caravans to tend to that all have the Pentastar engine in them. I’ve never seen any tears or distortions in any of them over the years. The vans get beat on every day as they are being used in the transportation industry; they get their oil changed at 15,000 miles (even though AMSOil swears by their 25,000 mile oil). My JK on the other hand goes 10,000 or one year, whichever comes first.

I do remember seeing something back awhile ago regarding the first generation Pentastar engines and having filter problems. Not only were the pleats not holding up, but the filter themselves including the filter body were weak and prone to breaking. Thus is how we arrived at the current model of filter that has been in use now for about five years or so.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t speak for filters done at the dealership, however I’ve had zero issues with WIX filters (P/N WL10010). I keep a case on hand has I have my JK and a small fleet of Dodge Grand Caravans to tend to that all have the Pentastar engine in them. I’ve never seen any tears or distortions in any of them over the years. The vans get beat on every day as they are being used in the transportation industry; they get their oil changed at 15,000 miles (even though AMSOil swears by their 25,000 mile oil). My JK on the other hand goes 10,000 or one year, whichever comes first.

I do remember seeing something back awhile ago regarding the first generation Pentastar engines and having filter problems. Not only were the pleats not holding up, but the filter themselves including the filter body were weak and prone to breaking. Thus is how we arrived at the current model of filter that has been in use now for about five years or so.
Just to be clear, the integrity of the filter doesn't appear to be compromised, at all, and it wasn't nearly as contorted as the Mopar, which are usually twisted a bit when new. There were no tears, no fibers fraying, and it doesn't look like it would fail. I was just surprised to see it given the metal mesh backing of the pleats. Also, the original Mopar's integrity didn'tappear to be compromised, either.

I'd love to see at least a 3k run on a Mobil 1 filter. There are other filters that look well constructed when new, such as Wix, other Frams, and K & N. I'm sure there are more. I won't run Purolator. I've had them fray and tear in other applications, including a GM 2.4 Ecotec. They may be fine now, but I'm just not sure.

Last edited:

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Thanks for the update DanW. I'm running a Mobil1 Oil filter with Penzoil Platinum 0W-20. I'll report back in 2000 more miles when I get to 5000 miles. I changed at 2500 miles and will change again at 5000 miles.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the update DanW. I'm running a Mobil1 Oil filter with Penzoil Platinum 0W-20. I'll report back in 2000 more miles when I get to 5000 miles. I changed at 2500 miles and will change again at 5000 miles.
@Kysport
@ all Pennzoil users..

Don't forget to go here and get your $10 rebate (yes, $10) on your $27.00+- 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil is quick to send the check... http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promo...6b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=
Yup, you pay about $17 in the end for that 5 qts. of Pennzoil.

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited, 1970 Toyota FJ40, 2017 MB GLC300, 2017 Impreza Subaru
Well, the good news is that I did my second oil change tonight at about 3250 miles since the first change. I swapped out the Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for Mobil 1 AP 0w20. I also discovered that the Pentastar is going to twist any and all oil filters, no way around it. The Fram Ultra Guard's pleats are backed by metal mesh. There are no filters I've seen that are stronger. Only a Mobil 1 filter has similar construction. It still twisted a bit. (I'll post a photo tomorrow night.) The pleats were not compromised, though and had no tears or apparent stress. It still looked better than the original Mopar filter did at 2,000 miles.

Anyway, I made one big mistake. I forgot to get a sample of the outgoing oil for analyisis, from the middle of the drain stream. After cursing myself a bit, I sampled the trickle from the end of the draining process. That's not recommended, but what the heck. I'm going to send it in anyway. It may not be ideal or even recommended, but it will at least tell me how the viscosity held up, which should be just fine after only 3,000 miles on a 15,000 mile rated oil.

I'll be running the M1 AP oil until mid October, when I'll change it out before going to Moab. It won't need it, but I like the idea of fresh oil when I'm going to be doing lots of crawling.

I'm going to ask Blackstone what they think of sending this end of stream (trickle) sample. Unless they give me good reason to think it is worthless, then I'll go ahead and send it and post the results when I get them. I'm expecting wear metals to still be a bit high, although lower than the factory oil. These engines take a few oil changes to get the break-in done and the by products of it out of the system. I expect the viscosity to be still solidly a 20 weight, with no shearing. Fuel dilution will be extremely low, as is typical in the Pentastar, and also because I don't often take short trips where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up. Silicones should start trending downward, too. I won't get a TBN number because it makes no sense after only 3k miles on the 15k rated oil. There will be plenty of TBN left.

The 3.6 seemed to agree with the M1 EP. It didn't have any ticks or noise, such as from the valves. It was smooth throughout the run. First impression with the new AP oil is the same. We shall see.

Oh, I also put another Fram Ultra Guard in there. I'd love to see the rest of you post pics of your oil filters along with how many miles on them. I'm just curious as to how much these Pentastars abuse them.
AutoZone sells the Mopar filter that fits

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 quarts of Mobil1 with a filter is $29.99 at AutoZone.
upload_2018-6-15_21-40-31.png

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saw that AutoZone has Mobil one with a Mobil one filter for $29.99 and if you look on the Mobil website they are offering an additional $17 back by rebate. This is a good deal. $12.99 for an oil change is HUGE. The rebate isnt for Zone but Mobil honors the rebate regardless as Zone is offering a duffle bag via rebate at the same time. I will be buying one on the way home tonight
upload_2018-9-10_10-22-25.png

upload_2018-9-10_10-23-0.png

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Saw that AutoZone has Mobil one with a Mobil one filter for $29.99 and if you look on the Mobil website they are offering an additional $17 back by rebate. This is a good deal. $12.99 for an oil change is HUGE. The rebate isnt for Zone but Mobil honors the rebate regardless as Zone is offering a duffle bag via rebate at the same time. I will be buying one on the way home tonight
upload_2018-9-10_10-22-25.png

upload_2018-9-10_10-23-0.png
Good score! Valvoline has a nice rebate out right now that can be used on Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or Modern Engine. Also, I think Pennzoil might have a rebate right now, too, for those who like those oils.

I've seen Valvoline and Pennzoil on store shelves with the new SN-Plus SAE rating. Mobil 1 Annual Protection isn't showing up yet with SN-Plus, but EP 0w20 is there. The Mobil AP 0w20 does appear to have GM's Dexos 1, Gen 2 certification, which is at least as good or better than SN-Plus. I expect SN Plus for that oil is just a formality, as the Dexos 1 G2 should exceed it.

I'm zeroing in on oil change number 3, which will happen in early October, just before going to Moab. I'm likely going with Mobil 1 0w20 AP, like I'm running now. The rebates are making these nice, high end synthetics a real bargain!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase