Sponsored

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

• Total voters

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
They still make fully synthetic don't they?
Yes, of course they do.

I don’t know if that was an attempted slight against Mobil, but while I’d be fine with Pennzoil as I mentioned in the link above, Royal Purple has seemed to be more about marketing hype over some dye than any actual benefit.

I’m sure if it wasn’t full synthetic when labelled as such they would’ve come up against a few issues with the government or lawyers.

For me it’s about the cold, so a test like this is good enough to trust the dealership’s preference for Mobil 1 in the past, and be fine with it if offered as an option in the future.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes they do. I’ve just personally had bad experiences with Mobile 1 that’s all. I would burn a half quart of oil after 3000 or so miles. I switched up to Royal Purple and have had no problems at all.
That's interesting. I use mobile 1 and I'm burning the same amount of oil. I was going to change to something else but I'm not sure what. I have a 2008 and I have been using mobile 1 every 5000 kms.
Edit: I have 118,000kms on it now

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Yes, of course they do.

I don’t know if that was an attempted slight against Mobil, but while I’d be fine with Pennzoil as I mentioned in the link above, Royal Purple has seemed to be more about marketing hype over some dye than any actual benefit.

I’m sure if it wasn’t full synthetic when labelled as such they would’ve come up against a few issues with the government or lawyers.

For me it’s about the cold, so a test like this is good enough to trust the dealership’s preference for Mobil 1 in the past, and be fine with it if offered as an option in the future.

That was hilarious and informative. That conventional oil looked like paraffin. I've never had a dog in the Royal Purple race but definitely eye opening watching it perform at those temps compared to the Amsoil and Mobil 1.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
In the Grand Cherokee with the V6 and ESS the owners manual specs 0W-20 Syn oil due to the added stress of the engine starting and stopping with the ESS. So I'd guess they will spec the same for the Wrangler.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaning toward one of these three oils: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20, (If I can find it), Mobil 1 EP 0w20 or Mobil 1 AP 0w20. Of course, this is subject to change as I pace around waiting for my Jeep.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Does Mobil 1 oil have the required MS 6395 spec?

I use Valvoline in my current and past 3.6 engines. It has the MS 6395 cert. Best part is that it's $22 for 5 quarts of it at Walmart all day every day.

Oil change for full synthetic for under $40? Nice.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Does Mobil 1 oil have the required MS 6395 spec?

I use Valvoline in my current and past 3.6 engines. It has the MS 6395 cert. Best part is that it's $22 for 5 quarts of it at Walmart all day every day.

Oil change for full synthetic for under $40? Nice.
You're question got me curious - so I googled. Not 100% on-topic, but found this bit of interesting history regarding Chrysler and Exxon/Mobile:

The falling out was during the bankruptcy... I think that Exxon/Mobil placed them on credit hold and stopped shipping them oil. Soon after, Pennzoil Platinum became the SRT8 factory fill, even though the oil fill cap still said "Fill With Mobil 1 0w40 Motor Oil"
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ms-6395-issue-with-mobil-1-update-248329.html

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'd be fine with Mobil1. IMO, change it more frequently if you are worried about oil quality...you'll keep the bad stuff out by changing it more frequently than spending crazy money on oil.

PS, looking forward to not needing 9 quarts of Castrol TWS 10w/60 like my current vehicle! :swear:

Sponsored

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
I plan to use Mobil 1 synthetic after the 1st change. Used it in previous vehicles (non-Jeep) and have never had any issues. Top notch stuff.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
In the Grand Cherokee with the V6 and ESS the owners manual specs 0W-20 Syn oil due to the added stress of the engine starting and stopping with the ESS. So I'd guess they will spec the same for the Wrangler.
Same. What here with my wife

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Same. What here with my wife
Typo, same here with my wife, so I guess there's are answer to manufacturers recommendation. I imagine they would be the same....

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes they do. I’ve just personally had bad experiences with Mobile 1 that’s all. I would burn a half quart of oil after 3000 or so miles. I switched up to Royal Purple and have had no problems at all.
I've had the same problem on my F-150 5.0 Coyote engine...it hates Mobil 1. And there is some info out there on the Web that Mobil 1 didn't actually meet manufacturer's specs, despite their claims. In my opinion, Mobil 1 is extremely over rated.

I stick with Motorcraft factory oil on my Fords, and Pennzoil synthetic on my Jeeps.

Also, the 0W20 stuff is like water in the summer time and I don't trust it. Remember, these auto makers are interested in two things: CAFE numbers, and getting to warranty expiration. After that, they don't give a rat's *** what happens to the engine. If you're planning to keep your Jeep for 10 years or longer, you should do some research on oils.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation