Sponsored

What Octane Gas Are You Going To Put In Your JL?

What octane gas are you planning on running in your JL?

• Total voters

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Always the highest octane!

It's only a couple of bucks difference. It's what your engine uses to run. It's the heart and soul of how your rig runs.

Dont be cheap!
Except that running a higher octane than what is necessary is not beneficial for your engine and can possibly even cause more carbon to build up than a lower octane that will burn more efficiently. Octane ratings are determined by how resistant to ignition the fuel is. The lower the octane the easier it is to burn. Higher octane fuels have additives that make them less likely to burn, making them more stable with higher compression engines and forced induction, but reducing the amount of energy that the same amount of fuel can make.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Except that running a higher octane than what is necessary is not beneficial for your engine and can possibly even cause more carbon to build up than a lower octane that will burn more efficiently. Octane ratings are determined by how resistant to ignition the fuel is. The lower the octane the easier it is to burn. Higher octane fuels have additives that make them less likely to burn, making them more stable with higher compression engines and forced induction, but reducing the amount of energy that the same amount of fuel can make.
Stop it with all these scientific fact-type things. This forum was only meant for opinion and hyperbole.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Lol - so many entertaining comments.

I don't know. I'm not a scientist in this area. I know it's the thing lately to question companies and everything is a big conspiracy, blahblahblah.
But if the company that makes the car recommends 87, I'll go with the 87.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I run 93 to reducing the knocking/pinging under load at 1800-2000 RPM. Several threads going about it. The user manual even mentions it. But 93 reduces the knocking/pinging. Its a shame that any modern motor does it, since the last time I heard it was in my 1980's Kcar.

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I run 93 to reducing the knocking/pinging under load at 1800-2000 RPM. Several threads going about it. The user manual even mentions it. But 93 reduces the knocking/pinging. Its a shame that any modern motor does it, since the last time I heard it was in my 1980's Kcar.
To clarify, I have the 6 speed.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing, 93 (or even 91) quiets the 3rd gear 1500-2000 rpm pinging. Yeah, mine runs on 87, but it's demonstrably quieter on 91 or 93. Can't explain it. Manual here as well. Also hot climate. I may revisit 87 in the winter.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I put what the manual calls for anything else is a WASTE OF MONEY. 87
Sponsored