Sponsored

What Octane Gas Are You Going To Put In Your JL?

What octane gas are you planning on running in your JL?

• Total voters

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I originally was running 87 when I first got the jeep but always heard a slight knock upon acceleration, then I switched to 93 and had 0 issues for 15000 miles. This past weekend I tried 87 again and once again upon acceleration I can here a slight knock . Brand of gas used was Shell

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thank Goodness... I can finally start putting in 87 at Costco. IMHO a Costco account is essential if you own one of these vehicles.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
2020 JL manual, page 230...Fuel Requirements:

2.0L Engine: "This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded 'regular' gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of 91 or higher octane 'premium' gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase is noticed in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing."

91 octane is only recommended for optimal performance. Not sure the cost difference will be worth it.

Not from you, but there was some talk about using 87 octane in the 2.0L engine would void the warranty. Clearly NOT the case.
I just love optimal performance ,whatever I can squeeze out of my vehicles, Im goin for it. I run 91 oct non ethanol in everything but the rider mower. Our vehicles are doing the same thing an elephant's hind legs are doing. Haulin ass ! Ok show me to the door.

Last edited:

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
"Push the turbo hard?". This guy is tarded. Low to medium throttle inputs on a high gear will get you at or near max boost. It's one of the reasons turbo 4's are so popular - lots of torque. Because of boost. So driving like a normal person is pushing hard. Extreme cylinder pressure doesnt have to be realized on a race track.

The lack of real automotive knowledge on this site is the reason I rarely come here. Guess I got spoiled by a couple of sites with actual car people on them.

For what it's worth, my 6 pings all of the time, especially now that it's getting hot out. It doesn't like 87 gas, and I have zero detonation when I run 91. But I'm not paying for it. Let it ping. Of course that means it's also down on power. Still not worth it. Motor sucks no matter what. Screw these no low end torque having modern motors. My stock 68 Suburban 396 is soooooo much more of a pleasure to drive throttle wise.
HAHA had to chuckle at "these no low end torque having modern motors"!! I'm having the same gripes.

I just switched to 91 in my 3.6 and it seems to have much better power, even down low in the RPM band like when I'm trying to back up a small hill slowly (I have the 6 speed). Passing power seems much better also. Either that or it's finally broken in (8,000 miles on it now)?

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I originally was running 87 when I first got the jeep but always heard a slight knock upon acceleration, then I switched to 93 and had 0 issues for 15000 miles. This past weekend I tried 87 again and once again upon acceleration I can here a slight knock . Brand of gas used was Shell
I just did the 91 octane experiment. Had the same issue, always a slight knock, usually in 3rd at lower RPMs. It could be my mind messing with me, but it seems the knock is gone and engine runs smoother. Or maybe I just like flushing money down the toilet. Ha.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Only on a Wrangler forum will you have people say an engine made for 91 will run the same on 87 and that an engine designed for 87 will run better on 91.

sisoul

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the same issue as you, but here in California we only have crappy 91.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm running the 87 octane in my 3.6

I'm doing my part to conserve the expensive 91 octane for the 2.0 Turbo guys.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Here in my current, South Texas location I'm using 89 because it's available, and when almost everyday is over 100, it helps to reduce the pinging of the 3.6.

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So is the general consensus that 87 is fine for a new 3.6 Rubi?

BbyGrlJJ

First Name
Jamie Lynne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I do know that 91 is not "required" but I do put 91 in my lady!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I put a gram of cocaine in the tank with every fill. Throttle response improves greatly, mpg goes up 40%, and the a/c blows (sorry for the pun) much colder. However, when I get her back in the garage the engine runs all night and only turns off at dawn.
Sponsored