What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
I do not, but that is a great idea. I am waiting for a new front bumper to come it.

I dont even follow the question let alone the answer.
Sponsored

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apologies for the late response. I have a 2020 Rubicon diesel with 2" Mopar lift kit. I use daily to hike with my two Wirehaired Pointing Griffons as well as through hunting season. My first install was the lift kit to help navigate hunting terrain. Then I realized how much sh** I was throwing at people behind me so I invested in Weathertech mud guards. Shortly thereafter my wife said she was tired of taking a running leap to get into the vehicle so I removed the stock rock rails and invested a set of ROAM side steps. They are very well made and pretty robust for my usage. As they say, happy wife, happy life. These steps come with 4 LED lights on each side. Despite what they say, a pretty easy wiring job. Next install is a Maximus-3 Stinger bar and several Baja LED lights. Last but not least, a TransK9 kennel for my dogs. These are spectacular design and quality. Made in Scotland and saw them while I was living there. Perfect fit for Gus & Freyja!
IMG_20170809_111915963.jpg
y

Chewbacca squared...

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also concur from OP, thanks for increasing my tabbed browsing tonight and definitely my to do list. One thing I did have on my list to do that hasn't been mentioned is the XG Cargo Gear Bags. I don't know... I just saw them and liked the look/usefulness possibilities. Maybe in RL they don't function well. Anybody have any thoughts on those??

Thanks

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
RockHard4x4 sliders were the first item I ordered and the first thing I installed on my Rubi. If it were stolen or totaled Id order another Rubi and another set of RockHard4x4 sliders while I was waiting for it to be built. Outstanding quality and I use them every time I drive it.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I also concur from OP, thanks for increasing my tabbed browsing tonight and definitely my to do list. One thing I did have on my list to do that hasn't been mentioned is the XG Cargo Gear Bags. I don't know... I just saw them and liked the look/usefulness possibilities. Maybe in RL they don't function well. Anybody have any thoughts on those??

Thanks
They look nice for holding recovery gear, or things you won't always use but need, up and out of the way.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
The genesis dual battery system. Should have com that way from the factory.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
please say more. We are planning on flat towing the Jeep in the very near future. Thx.
Wade,
There are a lot of threads on the towing sub forum. But, basically, I installed the Mopar flat tow harness to facilitate having brake lights, then I installed a RockHard aluminum bumper and LOD (brand) frame reinforcements that provide redundant load paths in the even the frame bumper flanges crack, then some custom plates that bolt thru the bumper to the frame flanges with the towbar attach lugs. I use a Blue Ox towbar.

Just be aware, there is a controversy about towing by attaching to the front bumper flanges. These flanges are pretty thin and the word around the forum is that FCA does not recommend towing attachments to the bumper flanges. It would not be a case of them not taking the ultimate forces that are applied, but rather the repeated fatigue forces (flexing). Otherwise every aftermarket bumper that has recovery hooks would be breaking, since recovery from stuck situations produces way more (multiples in some cases) force than simple towing. I added a simple bracket which would take the entire towing load if the frame were to break. This provides a total of 6 independent load paths which cracks are unlikely to join (4 bumper flanges and 2 reinforcing brackets). Of course, with any redundant load path, inspection before each use for the primary load path integrity is what keeps it redundant.

The no-brainer setup is to go with a recognized frame attach bar like the Blue Ox, which bolts to the side of the frame further back and provides attach points under the bumper. The downside is the loss of ground clearance/approach angle. This is a great option for the light off-roader that tows primarily to have a transportation vehicle at their vacation destination. Rock crawlers will avoid this setup or unbolt it from the frame when doing serious crawling.

Another approach would be to reinforce the front flange area by welding plates to the frame. Someone posted about a guy that chopped off the last half foot or so of the frame and rebuilt it with much thicker steel so he wouldn't worry about towing and recovery attachments to the bumper flanges. I believe the frame was thinned in this area to meet crash requirements for (other) vehicle penetration or for crush.
Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 20210115_134907

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 20190505_062928
Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 20190505_062825
Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 20190505_062532

Last edited:

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
For those asking about the cargo net setup, I recently did this myself.

I bought this net (the blue matches my Hydro quite nicely): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022ZRTEQ

And a few packs of ball-end bungies from Harbor Freight.

Total Cost: ~$25

I hook the 3 hooks on either end to the *side* bars, and then have two really small hook-end bungies that I hook ~in the middle of the net and secure in the holes on top of the sound bar. You can't really use ball-end on the soundbar, but there are holes in the top of it. Then I also use 3 ball-end bungies along the long end, attached to the back bar.

I keep 4 rolled-up bath towels up there and a 12v electric blanket normally.

It's off right now cause I took the top off this weekend, but need to set it back up and will try to snap a few photos.
Any pics of the net installed? Very interested. Thx

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Portable Traeger, no doubt.

If you arent having freshly smoked brisket at the end of the trail, what's the point of wheeling? Is it really wheeling if there isnt pulled pork?
Sponsored