Sponsored

What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
Little life hack, if you have a garage you have a lift. I've used 2-2" tie down ratchet straps from the rafters to take my truck's bed shell off for years.

1. Tie one end of the strap around the rafter one one side of the vehicle

2. Loop the ratchet end around the rafter on the other side and hook it to itself. Repeat for second front strap.

3. Back vehicle in and unbolt shell, lift and slide straps under shell.

4. Put something between all contact points of straps to prevent any friction marring. I used heavy, thick microfiber towels, pool noodles would probably work as well.

5. Ratchet up slowly alternating between front and back straps. As the shell lifts up the straps will begin to tilt it. Periodically center the shell back down in the loop of the straps.

6. Drive out from under shell. Shell is safely stored suspended in rafters until you want to put it back on, at that time back in under shell and reverse the process. Leave the straps in the rafters for next time. The garage remains usable the whole time.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My skidplates, since I DIY'd them, and the $2 Sunvisor fix

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

No skimping here...What modification do you feel is worth it's weight in gold and why?

I will start..

For me it is KC lights. You pay a premium for these but, until you have put your hands on them, you dont understand what a work of art they are.
I think the best mod I did to protect the Jeep when off road was to remove the factory Rubicon rock rails and install heavy duty aftermarket rock rails which attach to the frame (not to the body). They have saved my rocker panels and underbody stuff from damage.

I do not off road much at night ...

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny lights

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I only have a stubby antenna and seat covers so far. I’ll keep you company on the porch 👍
I tried about four of them. All better looking than stock and all sucked for reception where I live. Could not get the only FM station I wanted to listen to. Went back to stock length. Important to note that some members got fine reception with shorties where they live.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

I think the best mod I did to protect the Jeep when off road was to remove the factory Rubicon rock rails and install heavy duty aftermarket rock rails which attach to the frame (not to the body). They have saved my rocker panels and underbody stuff from damage.

I do not off road much at night ...

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny lights
I dont wheel at night. I got my Halogen aux lights to see better in a snow storm. The LED lights do something to the snow and man I could not see a thing. Lol.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I tried about four of them. All better looking than stock and all sucked for reception where I live. Could not get the only FM station I wanted to listen to. Went back to stock length. Important to note that some members got fine reception with shorties where they live.
I'm in the same boat. Got a supposedly good stubby antenna and lost a lot of stations. Reception was terrible, especially long distance reception. It was my biggest waste of a mod. Went into the trash one week later.

Instead, I plasti-dipped the stock antenna. Looks much better, much better reception and provides some rubber padding in case the antenna is whipped into something.

Sponsored

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
Spiderweb sunshade. Took me two summers to realize this is a necessity (for my family) with black leather seats. My kids are no longer afraid of third degree burns.
Never got mine in before i sold my wrangler but I think I would have loved this!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Bolt hood lock.

Innocuous, looks correct, provides decent security, key-matching design, addresses a material omission from the factory.

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
The second best “worth every penny” was moving to MickeyThompson Boss AT tires. They greatly improved the handling feel and are far superior to the stock BFG KO2s off road.
I'm glad to hear that about these tires. I'm picking my Jeep up on the 24th and I decided to go with the Mopar lift, new wheels and the Mickey Thompsom Baja boss AT's. I just keep hearing really good things about them.
Sponsored