What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
For Everyday Purpose: Hothead Headliners for me. Seems a bit off paying $450 for what seems to be cloth inserts but holy cow are these things well worth it. Coming from AZ where we spend most of the summer 110+ (Upwards of 120 some days) that significantly drop the interior temp and they are also beneficial for sleeping in the Jeep.

For Camping Purposes: My DeepSleep4Jeep mattress. Granted I have the full which I have found to be a bit overkill for my purposes and will be getting the solo mat soon but it’s incredibly comfortable and takes up little room when put away.

For off-roading purposes: Midland GMRS MXT275 (but really any radio). We had handhelds to start but quickly found out those die pretty early on in a multi day trip. With the micro mobile units, there is constant power supply and great range. Crucial for me when running any group run.
Sponsored

Spitfire858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR XR, Black, 3.6L eTorque
Very first stop at the gas station and I realized the factory radio antenna had to go. It's in exactly the wrong place when you want to clean the windshield. It's like SoCal Priuses... always in the way no matter what you do. A stubby whip antenna was our first mod and definitely worth the <$20 cost.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
freshly smoked brisket requires 8-12 hours of smoking low and slow And good temperature and smoke management. I suppose you could tow a smoker and have it running while you wheel. Lots of potential safety issues. Probably best to just grill sausage or chicken or a good steak. Doing brisket properly is difficult.

Jim, native Texan, Coffey.
Agreed. Takes a looong time even if you use foil at the stall.

I usually do chuck roast instead. Delicious. Still takes 6~8hrs at 225~250.

Burgers,sausages,steak. If you want smoked meats at the end of the trail. Smoked chicken, smoked tritip, smoked chicken wings. Those could work.

Sponsored

randeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JL Willys
I found a backpack that fits well when attacked to the roll bar. Low cost secure storage. And it’s blue to match my jeep. Most of the expensive made for jeep bags aren’t all that different from a commercial duffle or backpack. They may not be quite as perfects fit. But when removed they become a normal piece of luggage.

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 1660148239645
Epic!! I think it's silly to spend tons of money on bags, as you alluded to. I've spent about 2.5 years of my life traveling in Asia as a backpacker, so I definitely have a bag or two that I'm looking forward to stowing in my Jeep (just ordered a '23 Willy's JL 2 door today, will be my first Jeep!).

I love my backpacks . . . they mean a lot to me, as you can imagine, so it's going to be great to put them to a new use. And yeah, they're super comfortable and you can just grab em and go.

And for anyone wondering, these kind of bags typically have a lot of attachment points, sturdy stitching, and well thought-out organization (though there are different styles/storage philosophies, of course - such as top loading, "sacks", clamshell zipper bags with built in "packing cubes", etc).

A few I could recommend off the top of my head:
Kelty bags - no frills, kind of a blend of outdoor adventure/military style bags. The Kelty Redwing 50 was my first ever pack. I suggest staying between 30-50 liters in size. - https://www.kelty.com/backpacks/

GoRuck - Travel rucksacks - probably a style a lot of Jeepers would like. Check out the GoRuck series. https://www.goruck.com/collections/rucksacks

The Marmot bag you used looks great! And Marmot definitely has more color options than GoRuck or Kelty

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I found a backpack that fits well when attacked to the roll bar. Low cost secure storage. And it’s blue to match my jeep. Most of the expensive made for jeep bags aren’t all that different from a commercial duffle or backpack. They may not be quite as perfects fit. But when removed they become a normal piece of luggage.

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 1660148239645

[/QUOWhich Marmot pack?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable control arms by far. We all know the steering wander issue these JL's have from the factory and the TSB kinda fixed that with the steel gear box but when you lift the Jeep it will negate that TSB and you will still experience the wander with factory control arms since it throws off your caster. After installing adjustable control arms(I went with the Teraflex Alpine IR arms with recommended settings) the Jeep drives straight as an arrow. Make your Jeep great again! 👍
Random question but do you have the tsb info for that steering box? Trying to get mine done and can’t find it. Tks

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!