Sponsored

What music do you jam to when you are in your Jeep?

48thChamber

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.groundswell-studio.com
Vehicle(s)
93 YJ Wrangler, 2021 Willys JLU O|||||||O
Occupation
Marketing & Creative Director / Web Designer
Jam bands 99% of the time. This style of music tickled my gray matter in the 1990s* and changed my life. These days it's usually some combination of tiers 1 & 2:

Tier 1 - These are the bands that inspired a cultural movement around them.
  • Grateful Dead - Plus modern interpretations including Dead & Company.
  • Phish - Also almost anything that Trey Anastasio does, especially Trey Anastasio Band and Ghosts of the Forest.
Tier 2 - Musically as good as Tier 1 (maybe better?), but under-appreciated as the genre itself is niche and dominated by Phish.
  • Disco Biscuits - They invented trance fusion and jam better, harder, and more uniquely than any band ever, period. Words have been adopted by music theorists to describe what 'The Biscuits' do on stage: inverted, dyslexic, fakeout, palindrome, etc. It's mind-melting.
  • Umphrey's McGee - The band that merged prog rock with jazz-inspired jam rock. Sometimes it's metal, sometimes it's reggae, and most of the time it defies definition.
Others - Contextual genius.
  • moe.
  • The String Cheese Incident
  • Leftover Salmon
  • Lots of amazing 'newgrass' bands like: Greensky Bluegrass, The Infamous Stringdusters, Yonder Mountain String Band (pre-Jeff Austin departure - RIP).
  • Lots of amazing trance fusion/jamtronica bands like: Particle, STS9, Lotus
  • RAQ
  • * God Street Wine - They turned me from a Metallica/Black Sabbath metal head into a noodle-dancing wierdo
  • The Big Wu
  • Keller Williams
  • Twiddle - The band the jam scene loves to hate, but they're great!
Nice GSW shout out! Lo plays live streams on Thursdays and just did $1.99 full album with lots of explanations to the songs in between. Was really awesome. U can check it out on his YouTube page.

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Music has always played a big part in my life, both listening and playing guitar and viola.

So I listen to and enjoy almost everything.

Classical, jazz, 30's-40's big band, 50's rock'n'roll, 60's-70's (hard) rock, 70's-80's funk, punk, heavy and hair metal, 80's new wave, 90's-current hard/heavy/metal rock, electronic, trance, house, folk.

Ok, that includes almost all known music... except rap and hip-hop. I do listen though to a lot of hip-hop at my boxing gym, whether I want it or not.

That's why I want Sirius XM on the trail and a big reason why I absolutely never take the top and doors off.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
My wife has tendency to switch radio stations every 10 - 15 seconds....so in this case I just pray for silence - listen to the hum of the tires and wind noise from a front passenger door.

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
rarely listen to XM, definitely won't be renewing but use Amazon Prime through bluetooth

Listen to everything from SLAYER to Iron Maiden to Luke Combs. Ronnie James Dio Black Sabbath is my go to. Freeway driving is Black Label Society or Tool unless I cross border into Communistfornia then its Distrurbed. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Just about everything at some point.... even Christian talk channels. šŸ˜‰

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
A year or two ago, my daughter suggested that I might like Greta Van Fleet. And she was right. I know they are polarizing and a lot of folks think they are Led Zeppelin wannabees, or over rated (or both). But to me, it's refreshing to hear a band play good old fashioned rock the way it used to be done; something other than the cookie cutter pseudo rock pop stuff that most bands/artists put out today.

And it's been a couple of decades (or more) since I actually looked forward to the release of an album; I mean, to the point of getting it on drop date and listening to it right away.

This morning, I queued up their new album on Spotify before leaving for work. And where I normally either listen to an audiobook or Bob and Tom in the morning commute, today I listened to The Battle at Garden's Gate (all but the last two songs, it was it bit too long for the commute) in my Jeep...with the upgraded sound system. And I found that before the end of the first song, I had unconsciously turned the volume up...high...like back in high school Owner of a Lonely Heart kind of loud.

When I listen to songs the first time, I listen to the music. It takes me a few times before I'm learning the lyrics, so I can't really judge what this album says. But it sounds good to me. Maybe they sound too much like Led Zeppelin, or whatever some of the other complaints are. But those kids can play.

One knock I have so far is that there were times where I caught myself humming along...the first time through. So there is some predictability to it, which usually annoys me in the formulaic pop songs of today . But that predictability in this case felt comfortable, not annoying. Maybe their music isn't as good as I think it is. Maybe it's been so long since I've heard new bands playing this type of music that it just seems really good (kind of like a Big Mac after 6 days of backpacking is the best food you've ever eaten). But whatever the case, I am thoroughly enjoying their music.

I'm looking forward to listening to the last two songs on the way home...in my Jeep...with the upgraded sound system...with the volume up...like back in high school Owner of a Lonely Heart kind of loud.

Then maybe I'll switch to Fear Inoculum for the rest of the drive.

Last edited:

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Zac Brown Band
Chris Stapleton
newer country music
Godsmack
Green Day
GNR
Metallica

DLD

First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler Willys 2-Door, ā€˜19 Mazda 6
Occupation
Engineering
Too Many Zooz. Check 'em out.

Sometimes Gogol Bordello

Last edited:

Sponsored

comagt

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Mine isn't here yet, but when I pick it up the Alpines will be blasting some Mamma Mia tunes. Maybe some In the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen to go with it.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i float between sirius channel 34 (grunge stuff) 60 (outlaw country) and sometimes 52 (edm)
all three play good stuff, if something comes on i'm not enjoying i flip it

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I listen to everything but my two go to stations are octane and y2country.

I do have a ritual when I am trying to get through a tough obstacle: saliva click click boom.That started as anytime I didnā€™t play it the olā€™ xj would make that noise :LOL:

Oldguy18

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Just depends on the day
AC/DC, Clapton, Stones, Skynyrd, Journey,
Guess Who, Three Dog Night, Seger, Eagles, ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac, Bostonā€¦ You get it
Haggard, Jennings, Jones, Conway and Loretta, Jerry Lee Lewis, Cash, Stapleton, Johnsonā€¦. Well, some of you will get it ;)

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Pretty much anything on Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, or 80s on 8... If I'm feeling froggy, the B.B. King or Bob Marley channels...
Sponsored