Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Regrets? I've had a few...

Mopar Winch Plate. Yeah, I bought a Zeon thinking it'd work fine with the "Official" winch plate on the OE steel bumper. Well, turns out that on the assembly line not all Jeep bodies are lined up on the frame the same way. My body is about 1/2" further forward on the frame than other JL's, and that means that the Zeon absolutely would not fit without hitting the front grille, or re-drilling new holes on the plate. Bought a Warn winch plate - no problem with fit issues at all, they mount the winch further forward, problem solved. Mopar winch plate is repacked perfect in the original box and in the garage.

Maximus-3 Tow Loops. Found out via threads on this site that if you get those and don't get all this additional reinforcing stuff that Maximus doesn't tell you about, you'll end up busting your front frame rails if you flat tow behind an RV. No bueno. I needed to get the Jeep home from Tennessee so I bought the RockJock tow plate as a stopgap until I could fully figure out the Maximus problem. Turns out, the Rock Jock tow plate doesn't reduce any front ground clearance and works fine, even after a winch is mounted on the bumper above. Rock Jock plate stays on, Maximus tow loops are perfect, never used and stored in the garage.

Factory Option Front Camera. Actually, the jury is still out on this. So far the most use I get from it is not hitting the dresser stored in the garage when I park the Jeep in nose first. Each time I've been Off Road the extreme wide angle of the camera and display inside the Jeep has really been of limited value. Cameras mounted under the side mirrors would be a better idea, bet that comes out in 2024.

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
Regrets? I've had a few...

Mopar Winch Plate. Yeah, I bought a Zeon thinking it'd work fine with the "Official" winch plate on the OE steel bumper. Well, turns out that on the assembly line not all Jeep bodies are lined up on the frame the same way. My body is about 1/2" further forward on the frame than other JL's, and that means that the Zeon absolutely would not fit without hitting the front grille, or re-drilling new holes on the plate. Bought a Warn winch plate - no problem with fit issues at all, they mount the winch further forward, problem solved. Mopar winch plate is repacked perfect in the original box and in the garage.

Maximus-3 Tow Loops. Found out via threads on this site that if you get those and don't get all this additional reinforcing stuff that Maximus doesn't tell you about, you'll end up busting your front frame rails if you flat tow behind an RV. No bueno. I needed to get the Jeep home from Tennessee so I bought the RockJock tow plate as a stopgap until I could fully figure out the Maximus problem. Turns out, the Rock Jock tow plate doesn't reduce any front ground clearance and works fine, even after a winch is mounted on the bumper above. Rock Jock plate stays on, Maximus tow loops are perfect, never used and stored in the garage.

Factory Option Front Camera. Actually, the jury is still out on this. So far the most use I get from it is not hitting the dresser stored in the garage when I park the Jeep in nose first. Each time I've been Off Road the extreme wide angle of the camera and display inside the Jeep has really been of limited value. Cameras mounted under the side mirrors would be a better idea, bet that comes out in 2024.
Man, I feel you on Maximus.....I have a small fortune of their stuff sitting on my workbench. And after reading the latest updates on here, it looks like I'm still going to have to modify the tie-in braces I just got. Kicking myself for not going RockJock!

Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

So far no regrets on the JL!

The old JK, on the other hand… that was the learning experience. Pretty solid overall, but I wish I would not have bought wheels that were slightly too narrow for the tires. I had 8” width when I needed an 8.5” width. I had a really hard time getting the tread to wear properly on the highway, but I never worried about losing a bead! That half inch really made a difference.

Another regret is going with inexpensive, obscure or lesser known brand sliders. You get what you pay for! My old sliders were TJM and they don’t even make Jeep sliders anymore. Nothing lined up quite right and they rusted like crazy. If you’re going with lesser known brands, make sure you trust the quality control, or just pay the extra cash for high quality.

Another regret is ignoring how much things weigh. It adds up!!! Going aluminum anywhere I can on the JL because my JKU was a heavy pig! Also, I would rather deal with oxidized aluminum than rusty steel.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
When off-roading the glare from the dirt washes out the camera to the point where you can't see details. It's not horrible but not as good as I expected. If you add a hoop and/or winch it blocks the view of the camera.
For sure I won't get a stinger bumper. If the winch blocks part of the view, move the camera. My cheap backup camera works OK all the time, but I've ridden with folks with the front camera and there's no comparision.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For sure I won't get a stinger bumper. If the winch blocks part of the view, move the camera. My cheap backup camera works OK all the time, but I've ridden with folks with the front camera and there's no comparision.
Get an extender?
Jeep Wrangler JL What mods do you regret and would NOT do again? PXL_20220823_234917357

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
2022 JT Sport and jl Sport S 2D (wife's) Both are staying as close to mopar as possible That means Rubicon take offs. The exception will be ARB lockers and maybe 4.10 on the JT. Because it's not doing bad with 3.73. It's mob mindset how many jump on 35's and 37's , or more, gear change and many other and for something only a few of you will barely find yourself in a situation needing that level. The rest will never use it. Darn near all of us use our Jeeps as daily drivers.

I say this because all those mods, yeah. Done it. And on I'm still doing stupid stuff. That's why I have a 95 YJ Cummins 2.8, AX15, Currie 9in ARB, and more to come!

IMG_4451.JPEG

238628309_3248774535349827_3681983313111684756_n.jpg

241049770_3260095940884353_7400445115476221753_n.jpg

IMG_4474.JPEG
2022 JT Sport and jl Sport S 2D (wife's) Both are staying as close to mopar as possible That means Rubicon take offs. The exception will be ARB lockers and maybe 4.10 on the JT. Because it's not doing bad with 3.73. It's mob mindset how many jump on 35's and 37's , or more, gear change and many other and for something only a few of you will barely find yourself in a situation needing that level. The rest will never use it. Darn near all of us use our Jeeps as daily drivers.

I say this because all those mods, yeah. Done it. And on I'm still doing stupid stuff. That's why I have a 95 YJ Cummins 2.8, AX15, Currie 9in ARB, and more to come!

Jeep Wrangler JL What mods do you regret and would NOT do again? PXL_20220823_234917357

Love the YJ Cummins build! Fun!
What size tires are on your White JL?
They look perfect IMO.
Thanks!

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have attached a list of what I wouldn't do again. Not because mods are bad just spent the equivalent of another vehicle or side X side. Also list does not have latest mods being installed this Friday Rcv front and rear axle shafts.

17” dual beadlock D.O.T. Approved Hutchinson Rock-Monsters custom powder coated
37" Firestone Destination MT/2
Rock Krawler 3.5 max travel no limits stage 1 kit
Rock Krawler front no limits upper control arms
Rock Krawler rear no limits upper control arms
Synergy track bar and sector shaft brace
Falcon Nexus 2.2 Stabilizer
YETI XD™ JL DRAG LINK WITH GRIFFIN XD ATTENUATOR
YETI XD TIE ROD ASSEMBLY
CURRIE ANTIROCK REAR SWAY BAR KIT
Yukon 5.13 gears
Spider web shade custom sunshade
Lux rock lights
Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier
Rugged Ridge spare tire LED light
Arb single compressor mounted in wheel well
Mishimoto Bourne Offroad snorkel
Motobilt color matched front inner fender liner
Motobilt color matched rear inner fender liner
Motobilt front & rear differential covers color matched to body.
LOD Destroyer full width rear bumper
LOD Signature series stubby front bumper
ARB Boat Step/Rock slider
American Adventure Lab high line fender brace with daytime running lights.
Smittybilt x20 genII 12k winch
Factor55 1.5" fairlead
Factor55 Ultrahook
Factor55 Rope guard
20ft Bubba Rope
Gear America 30ft tow strap
Gear America tree saver
Gear America soft shackles
Gear America Uber shackles front and rear
Gear America tow receiver shackle
Bartac Fire extinguisher holder
67design phone and go pro attachments
Mopar grab handles
Mopar all weather floor mats
Tuffy Armrest lock box
JeepUniq CB mic and portable radio holder
Uniden 760 bearcat C.B.
BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen)

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
Lol, I'm the opposite of you guys, I like the stubby. Just put on another on my JLR, JT kept the orig. I don't notice much signal loss but I'm not in BFE, nor do I really listen to the radio. The whip 1 is just annoying.
Had a short antenna on my 2019 and tried to keep it. Too many adapters required to be removed and I just gave up. May go with a new one sometime. Reason I don't like the long whip is for my Jeep Cover. I don't have a garage so I cover it all the time.

Rod