Sponsored

What modifications can I do to not affect the warranty?

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So my JLU diesel is built and on its way. What modifications can I do to not affect the warrantee? Thinking of 1.75" wheel spacers, 2.5 inch lift, and front bumper with a winch for starters.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
None of that should cause problems but some dealers are real pricks about this stuff. If you put on a 2.5” lift it will look funny without bigger tires...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As we attended to the paperwork on delivery day, the Finance Mgr was careful to mention and explain the fine line that I'd walk regarding modifications.

That is to say, if I made a warranty claim for that part of the vehicle that I modified in any way, or if the claim could be walked back to said modification, even indirectly, the service dept. would reserve the right to possibly deny my warranty request.

I'd could contest any refusal, of course, and engage the Jeep Cares service as I chose to do. The final settlement, if any, would depend on the individual circumstances of the claim. That stands to reason.

Considered fairly, the foregoing policy is a reasonable position for FCA to have here...for any vehicle. It's doubly true when considering the Lego-like approach some owners take toward their Wranglers.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

How/when/if FCA honors warranties is part of a larger conversation. I have owned Chrysler products for 30+ years, and have never seen the level of dealer indifference and incompetence as now.

The short of it is that with sales through the roof, most Jeep dealers are overworked and underpaid. That in itself dictates how they treat us, and how arbitrary they are in responding to our warranty claims. Worse, for the most part FCA doesn’t want to get involved.

So, if you want to improve your chances of remaining covered by the factory warranty, as a general rule the fewer mods you do, the better. In fact, the less visible your mods are, the better...

Good luck.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
All the diesels sit like the Rubicons, so they will be taller than a gas Sport. The Mopar lift is available for the diesel and if warranty is a worry could be the option. As was stated even a small lift will look odd without at least 35's. Wouldn't even consider the Mopar lift if new tires were not in the equation.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Everything said above is true. However, I think if you use Mopar parts and have the dealer install them, the mods are guaranteed and it won't affect your warranty. Of course it will cost more and it would be wise to research the dealer as some are terrible and will mess stuff up.
Sponsored