What mix of Metric and SAE on JL?

Techbrute

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
So how much of a mix is the current JLU between metric and SAE? Of course Torx is actually metric-only, but do we still need to bring two tool kits for the trail for the rest?
Sponsored

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So how much of a mix is the current JLU between metric and SAE? Of course Torx is actually metric-only, but do we still need to bring two tool kits for the trail for the rest?
Everything I have found "so far" from the factory is metric. It seems only the stuff we buy aftermarket confuses the issue with some goodies being SAE. I am only carrying metric along with a Crescent wrench currently.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Everything I have found "so far" from the factory is metric. It seems only the stuff we buy aftermarket confuses the issue with some goodies being SAE. I am only carrying metric along with a Crescent wrench currently.
That'd be an all-sixteenths, technically. Duh ;)

As for the OP, I can't imagine anything on the JL is intentionally fractional from the factory. Guys may often confuse 8mm;5/16", 14mm;9/16", 19mm;3/4", 22mm;7/8" etc

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I found there are certain factory parts, if sourced from an US company and built here, then they may have SAE parts. For example, the factory Dana axles have bolts that are 1/4". 1/4" is definitely not equivalent to any standard metric size.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The oil drain plug is 1/2", oil filter cap is 15/16", the LCA nuts and bolts are 13/16" & 15/16". Those are the SAE fasteners that I've found thus far, but I'm sure there's the typical mix of metric/SAE.

Most postings for the aforementioned fasteners list metric, but for those specific ones SAE is the correct fit, especially important on the 190 ft. lb LCA bolts :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Techbrute

Techbrute

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The oil drain plug is 1/2", oil filter cap is 15/16", the LCA nuts and bolts are 13/16" & 15/16". Those are the SAE fasteners that I've found thus far, but I'm sure there's the typical mix of metric/SAE.

Most postings for the aforementioned fasteners list metric, but for those specific ones SAE is the correct fit, especially important on the 190 ft. lb LCA bolts :)
So, I'll just out myself as a moron... What's LCA?

I look at acronyms all day long, and when they aren't technical, I can't remember them in the right perspective.

Reactions: J0E

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

So, I'll just out myself as a moron... What's LCA?

I look at acronyms all day long, and when they aren't technical, I can't remember them in the right perspective.
Lower control Arm LCA and UCA upper control arm ive notice 90% is Metric and i only carry metric and a couple SAE for the aftermarket parts that i know the sizes for

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I vote for suspension hardware being metric.
I vote for ALL hardware to be either Metric or SAE, just pick one, although I too prefer metric :)

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure LCA bolts and nuts are 21 mm and 24 mm, almost all the other bolts on suspension are 18 mm.

Source: Mopar torque specs, looking at the 4th column.

Pages from Mopar lift torque specs.jpg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am pretty sure LCA bolts and nuts are 21 mm and 24 mm, almost all the other bolts on suspension are 18 mm.

Source: Mopar torque specs, looking at the 4th column.

Pages from Mopar lift torque specs.jpg
I try both SAE and Metric prior to any wrenchwork on Jeeps, for the LCAs the sizes I listed render no slop, and at 190 ft. lbs you sure as hell don't want any :)
Go ahead and try both, I guarantee you'll be using the SAEs :)
Try it on the oil drain & filter cap too :)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I try both SAE and Metric prior to any wrenchwork on Jeeps, for the LCAs the sizes I listed render no slop, and at 190 ft. lbs you sure as hell don't want any :)
Go ahead and try both, I guarantee you'll be using the SAEs :)
Try it on the oil drain & filter cap too :)

Ehhhh this is gonna be awkward but I’m still using metric for nearly everything factory. 21/24mm are perfect for the control arm hardware.

Brett

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ehhhh this is gonna be awkward but I’m still using metric for nearly everything factory. 21/24mm are perfect for the control arm hardware.

Brett
Not awkward Brett, like I said, if you have both on hand give th SAEs a try :)
Sponsored