Sponsored

What mileage do you get misfire codes due to plugged up intake?

7c102c600853ce38121

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 EU JLUR
It's just a few different ones I had on hand, practically all DI engines we pull the intake off of look like this. I think the first one was a Toyota 5.7, and the second was a 2.4 ecotec IIRC. Generally, these engines are over 100k miles at least, but vehicles accumulate miles very quickly in this part of the country.
So to clarify: I have asked for a picture of Jeep 2.0T with carbon clogged intake and you post random engines, not 2.0T, right? So I'm still waiting for visual evidence.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So to clarify: I have asked for a picture of Jeep 2.0T with carbon clogged intake and you post random engines, not 2.0T, right? So I'm still waiting for visual evidence.
Do you think there is some design difference that would cause a Jeep to not produce the exact same conditions at the intake valves? It’s a design feature of a direct injected engine. There’s no getting around it.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
My understanding is that those who have installed catchcans on the 2.0 typically find they’re catching nothing, meaning little to no oil being sucked into the intake, basically eliminating the source of the carbon build up on the valves. Way too much time worrying about “what if”. If there was, in fact, a problem we would have heard of it long ago as these puppies have been out for what, 5 years?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm just trying to figure out if it's an issue that grows on the intranets as opposed to the real world. Where we try to create a solution to a problem that does not exist.
It's a real world problem in DI engines, but I haven't seen much of it in the Jeep 2.0t specifically. I'd say it's a potential issue, and possibly even an inevitable one, but at what mileage is that? There are many of us past 60k miles at this point and I haven't seen any post carbon fouling to the point of driveability issues? Could it happen sooner? Sure. Will it happen eventually? Probably, but with the built in oil separator on the PCV system I'm guessing that point is well beyond 100k miles.

Sponsored

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I think there is some backwards logic going on here. Basically, "all DI engines will suffer from this phenomena because there is no port injection to help wash the tops of the valves."

Port injection washing the intake runner and valves simply masks the underlying *real* issue which is engine designs that allow crud to build up in that area in the first place. If a manufacturer implemented a design that substantially reduces that buildup in the first place (as FCA seems to have done), I don't see any reason a DI engine INHERENTLY must suffer from this issue. Just my 2¢.

OP
OP
jjvincent

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think that's a PRETTY BIG conclusion to draw in the total absence of any evidence to support that claim.

I had one of the VW 2.0s. The US version was/is notorious for carbon buildup. It was readily apparent at as few as a few tens of thousands of miles.

If the Jeep 2.0 suffered from it, we'd all be 100% aware of it by now after sifting through hundreds of posts by people who's Jeep has that issue. Fact is, those posts just don't exist and the motor has been around plenty long enough to exhibit that characteristic if it was present.
That's why you make the conclusion that all timing belts are bad as chains never stretch or have issues with the tensioner or guide rails. Same for turbos. I remember back in the early 80's they failed like crazy, thus turbos will do that today. Best option is just an LS motor as they never have problems at all.

SEMPER GUMBY

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys sport
I got that complimentary “LIFETIME” powertrain warranty so I am not worried at all.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Good to see that they plug up too. How many miles on that Jeep when this happened?
It's just a few different ones I had on hand, practically all DI engines we pull the intake off of look like this. I think the first one was a Toyota 5.7, and the second was a 2.4 ecotec IIRC. Generally, these engines are over 100k miles at least, but vehicles accumulate miles very quickly in this part of the country.
That wasn't a Jeep 2.0. In all of my lurking on the forums nobody has actually ever posted a pic of a Jeep 2.0 that had a ton of carbon buildup.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That wasn't a Jeep 2.0. In all of my lurking on the forums nobody has actually ever posted a pic of a Jeep 2.0 that had a ton of carbon buildup.
Because nobody has had one apart. There is absolutely nothing about the design of the 2.0 that is unique or solves the problem of carbon buildup.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Because nobody has had one apart. There is absolutely nothing about the design of the 2.0 that is unique or solves the problem of carbon buildup.
Until someone is the first to have one apart, it is probable, but unproven. IMHO, if people aren't experiencing a bunch of oil in their catch cans then it is unlikely it's as big of an issue for this engine than it is for other engines, for whatever reason (likely a well-designed PCV oil separator).

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
FWIW, there is an oil separator built into the valve cover of the 2.0T:

Jeep Wrangler JL What mileage do you get misfire codes due to plugged up intake? 1678818032820

The internals of which appears to have baffling designed to allow oil vapor to condense out of the air:

Jeep Wrangler JL What mileage do you get misfire codes due to plugged up intake? 1678818123563

I would suspect the design of this part to be responsible for why so few people get results from catch cans, and why it isn't a bigger problem for 2.0T users (that is not to say carbon buildup isn't happening, or that the MUA oil separator is perfect - but rather that the design of this part is helping slow down the accumulation of carbon in the intake and reducing the impact of the typical DI carbon buildup issues).

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
FWIW, there is an oil separator built into the valve cover of the 2.0T:

Jeep Wrangler JL What mileage do you get misfire codes due to plugged up intake? 1678818123563

The internals of which appears to have baffling designed to allow oil vapor to condense out of the air:

I would suspect the design of this part to be responsible for why so few people get results from catch cans, and why it isn't a bigger problem for 2.0T users (that is not to say carbon buildup isn't happening, or that the MUA oil separator is perfect - but rather that the design of this part is helping slow down the accumulation of carbon in the intake and reducing the impact of the typical DI carbon buildup issues).
Thanks for saving me a post. Like the Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0, the Jeep 2.0 also has an integrated separator.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
That right there should tell you this engine must suffer from this issue substantially less than other similar 2.0L GDI engines because if it was fouling up, people would be having to take them in to get walnut shell blasted like they do on other engines that have problems in as little as 50k miles.
Sponsored