Sponsored

What manual transmission fluid are you using?

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The manual calls for Mopar ATF+4 for transmission and transfer case. On my JK I used synchromesh for the transmission and Mopar ATF+4 for the transfer case. I liked synchromesh but don't know if that's still ok for the JL.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The manual calls for Mopar ATF+4 for transmission and transfer case. On my JK I used synchromesh for the transmission and Mopar ATF+4 for the transfer case. I liked synchromesh but don't know if that's still ok for the JL.
You can still use Synchromesh with the 6 speed or the transfer case if you so choose.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Dealer told me only to use ATF+4 4.76 pints or 2.38 quarts. I know a lot of modern manual transmission use ATF maybe becasue of tighter tolerances or the way the synchros need to be lubricated?

When I asked if I could use synchromesh the answer was a quick nooo. Now that is probably just the dealer being the dealer but idk enough about this stuff and it shifts fine now.

OP
OP
Jeffinstl

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer told me only to use ATF+4 4.76 pints or 2.38 quarts. I know a lot of modern manual transmission use ATF maybe becasue of tighter tolerances or the way the synchros need to be lubricated?

When I asked if I could use synchromesh the answer was a quick nooo. Now that is probably just the dealer being the dealer but idk enough about this stuff and it shifts fine now.
Anyone know if the JL tranny has tighter tolerances then the JK that might make this this case?

I'm considering running synchromesh through for some "SOTP" data and then running ATF+4. The whole reason I'm going through this is because the dealer replaced the throwout bearing and the shifting seems clunkier now. My thought was that they either replaced some transmission fluid in the process or that some was lost and not refilled.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Anyone know if the JL tranny has tighter tolerances then the JK that might make this this case?

I'm considering running synchromesh through for some "SOTP" data and then running ATF+4. The whole reason I'm going through this is because the dealer replaced the throwout bearing and the shifting seems clunkier now. My thought was that they either replaced some transmission fluid in the process or that some was lost and not refilled.
Well, whatever you end up using let us know how the change goes. The fill plug is in sort of a weird spot in the side blocked by the driveshaft and exhaust. Looks like a pita unless you use the amsoil easy fill pouches.

Also, exactly how much you put in. From the looks of it, nothing will come out the fill plug when the required 2.3 quarts are in.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Alright well I went ahead and just changed mine.

I took off the fill plug to see if anything would come out. Nothing. So I stuck my finger in to see how far down the fluid was to get a good estimate. Basically right below the fill plug.

So I used a hand pump to transfer the atf from the container into the transmission. Worked perfect.

Put in about 2 quarts and 11-12oz. Did the finger test. Seems close enough. So the dealer telling me 2.38 quarts is accurate!

ITSTHEWIFES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sport. 06 Toyota Matrix xrs. 13 Chevy Sonic
So am I to assume ATF means AUTOmatic transmission fluid? Poking through the owners manual today and came across the fluid specs. I'm no expert, but again I have significant experience working on cars. This really has me confused

OP
OP
Jeffinstl

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Alright well I went ahead and just changed mine.

I took off the fill plug to see if anything would come out. Nothing. So I stuck my finger in to see how far down the fluid was to get a good estimate. Basically right below the fill plug.

So I used a hand pump to transfer the atf from the container into the transmission. Worked perfect.

Put in about 2 quarts and 11-12oz. Did the finger test. Seems close enough. So the dealer telling me 2.38 quarts is accurate!
Did you go with Mopar ATF+4? Any noticeable difference in shifting?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So am I to assume ATF means AUTOmatic transmission fluid? Poking through the owners manual today and came across the fluid specs. I'm no expert, but again I have significant experience working on cars. This really has me confused
Yeah, that’s what ATF stands for- that and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. But yeah it’s weird where these fluids end up going. My YJ’s AX-15 transmission started its life spec’d to take 75W-90 gear oil- if I remember correctly- but by the time I got it, the official Mopar part number for its oil was 10w-30 engine oil. At the same time I was putting ATF+4 in the transfer case. No rhyme or reason to it from an outsider’s point of view. The engineers just pick the best standard for their application.