Sponsored

What makes the Rubi look so much more badass?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I actually noticed this over on the Jeep sub-reddit recently, but figure it applies right on through to the Gladiator. Someone posted their new Mojito green Sahara and it just looked kinda "meh" compared to the Mojito green Rubicon's I've seen. I got to thinking about the Gladiators as well... the Rubicon definitely looks more badass and I'm trying to figure out if it's one thing, or a combination.
  • High Clearance Fenders?
  • Domed/Vented Hood?
  • More Aggressive Tires?
  • More Styled Wheels?
  • The Decal?
I didn't include the bumper since they don't all have that, and the Rubicon I saw most recently had the stock plastic bumper and it still looked awesome.

My goal now is to find a Sport that's added the high clearance fenders (and probably more aggressive tires), one with only the new hood, and one with ONLY more aggressive tires. (c:
Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
The hood graphic!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I am going with the tires and hood. The high fenders, slight lift, and wheels are subtle and not super noticeable to non Jeep nerds. Aggressive tires make any 4x4 look mean, and the vented hood does really stand out.

Just my thoughts, interested in what others think.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The good news is, buying Rubicon High Clearance Flares in the JPP catalog is only $545 for the black... hopefully that will remain the same for the Gladiator parts.

Poking around a bit, I came across this picture:

c75c9eea-1e5e-4046-aeb8-e557d21627d2-png.png

Between the aggressive tires, the lift and the fenders... definitely beefy.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I think that it is the wider axles and more aggressive tires.

From the side the tires do look smaller and less aggressive on the JT/JL than they did on the JK in my opinion due to the highline flares. At the same time I appreciate the flares since it accommodates a 35" tire off the lot.

Sponsored

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have to admit -- since I swapped out some Rubi takeoffs onto my Sport S = night & day difference!!!

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I have to admit -- since I swapped out some Rubi takeoffs onto my Sport S = night & day difference!!!
Yes, having a 2.5" lift and 33" Duratracs makes my Sport S plenty bad ass. I'll start with better tires in the Gladiator and see what needs upgrading from there. (c:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I think that it is the wider axles and more aggressive tires.

From the side the tires do look smaller and less aggressive on the JT/JL than they did on the JK in my opinion due to the highline flares. At the same time I appreciate the flares since it accommodates a 35" tire off the lot.
I agree with you

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I actually noticed this over on the Jeep sub-reddit recently, but figure it applies right on through to the Gladiator. Someone posted their new Mojito green Sahara and it just looked kinda "meh" compared to the Mojito green Rubicon's I've seen. I got to thinking about the Gladiators as well... the Rubicon definitely looks more badass and I'm trying to figure out if it's one thing, or a combination.
  • High Clearance Fenders?
  • Domed/Vented Hood?
  • More Aggressive Tires?
  • More Styled Wheels?
  • The Decal?
I didn't include the bumper since they don't all have that, and the Rubicon I saw most recently had the stock plastic bumper and it still looked awesome.

My goal now is to find a Sport that's added the high clearance fenders (and probably more aggressive tires), one with only the new hood, and one with ONLY more aggressive tires. (c:
Yea not a fan of the overlander. The color matched fenders and street tires make it look odd to me. At least going with 33” is really going to improve the appearances of the JT.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
It is a combination of things. Just adding the tires to my JLU Sport S made a huge difference. But the hood, slight lift, and higher flares also contribute.

I'm convinced more than half of Rubicon buyers buy it just for the look.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The first thing I did when I got my Scrambler home in 1982 was remove "Scrambler" from the hood. I'll do the same with the Rubicon's hood lettering. The original Rubicon lettering was ok, but the newer style is too bold, large, and the red outline is just plain ugly. If you get my Scrambler's hood in just the right light, you can still see a faint image of the original decal. It probably sat in the sunshine on the dealer's lot for a while, and the 80's era paint faded slightly where not covered by the lettering.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
It looks cringey to me. If I did get a Rubicon. I would be sure to make sure the factory knew to not put those stupid decals on the hood. I don't want any reference to the Rubicon on it. Just the off road equipment.
Sponsored