What makes a sahara worth the money, and cant after market address it

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Not really...

I bought a Sport but liked a few things from the other models. My Sport was 13K less than a Rubicon.

Added take off Rubicon Wheels = $600
Added take off Rubicon Rock Rails = $140
Added Uconnect 4 7" Screen = $500
Added Gas Filler Door = $90

My total damage to get the bits and parts I liked? $1,330 -v- $13,000
Sport or sport s? If sport it’s really apples vs oranges. Buy the sport and crank up those windows :)

1. If you are going to load up a sport s, I suggest a sahara. I wish I would have done it. For an extra $2000 I should have done it and picked up a bunch of convenience options and colored fenders and steps. I wish I had the bigger screen and nicer interior and I would have done LEDs. Don’t really care about leather.

2. If you are doing basic sport or sport s, it’ll be significantly to cheaper upgrade through takeoffs to match Sahara.

3. OP didn’t mention matching Rubi, but some posts brought this up for some reason ... tough to match the lockers on Rubi cost effectively and as reliable.

Here’s my spend
$1200 Rubi wheels - $700 sold sport
$450 roam steps
$300 inspired LeD headlights
$600 Rubi suspension($200) + install ($400)
$120 Rubi front fender (included LEDs)
$100 mopar hitch
—————
$2100’ish ... other cosmetic things not included in here (tint, etc)

If I bought sahara:
- I would have upgraded wheels still
- Sahara Steps would have been fine
- I would have done the $1k LED package
- going to Rubi suspension don’t know?
- nonfromt bumper needed
- hitch?

Sporticon

60C1D379-967F-45FF-8A98-D5F37CEE7AAD.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Been studying the heck out of all the different models, and from what I can tell the main things a sahara offers a sport S cant are
Leather Interior (can live without) Katskins
Suspension
8 inch screen (can live without) After Market Radios
LED Headlights (can live without) After Market LEDs
Color Matched roof and fenders (Actually don't like)

Of all them I could live without most of them, except one
The improved suspension.
Does anyone make a better after market suspension for a Sport S, that would rival the Sahara suspension?
Not interested in lift as much as ride quality. I will most likely never run larger than 33s
For me it was a bit of a toss up although I went with the Sahara. My girls needed running boards, which came standard on the Sahara, I was factory ordering, and therefore got my rig at a cost (5% off invoice) likely cheaper than what would have been showroom price for a Sport S, and figured, the accessories on the sticker are the ones insurance covers in the event of theft or accident.

...and if those reasons sound less than 100% sound (e.g. I could have factory ordered and saved on the Sport S) I'd agree. For me, emotion and logic played into the decision, as it does for all of us: even if some would tell themselves that the former played little role.

This was my project vehicle and I decided I didn't want to take much of a cut in features from that not simple available but standard in sedans.

Then again, the Wrangler is no sedan, and its standard accessories are found by lying on your back and getting under the rig: something I do appreciate.

I submit that happiness in purchase decisions between two similar paths is more a product of one's state of mind than features.:)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think anyone here would object to lower pricing on the Rubicon or Sahara. But they are what they are. You can find the very same comments about pricing on about every new vehicle forum on the internet. I certainly don't "... know they shouldn't be priced so high". I have no clue as to the actual cost to manufacture a Jeep Rubicon, including labor, parts, facilities, engineering, management and any other costs that tally up on a new car. My guess is that MSRP of a Jeep has about 15% above cost in there. And since you can buy one for about 10% below MSRP in many cases, I think you are getting what you pay for.

.... Don’t get me wrong, I love the platform, but even jeep owners know they shouldn’t be priced so high.​

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I agree completely....my decision was either base sport, sahara or rubicon....sport s with the options I wanted was really close to Sahara so that was out.....one thing I didn’t see was that I would want more aggressive gearing making the rubicon a more logical choice....then again I might go with 4.56

Sport or sport s? If sport it’s really apples vs oranges. Buy the sport and crank up those windows :)

1. If you are going to load up a sport s, I suggest a sahara. I wish I would have done it. For an extra $2000 I should have done it and picked up a bunch of convenience options and colored fenders and steps. I wish I had the bigger screen and nicer interior and I would have done LEDs. Don’t really care about leather.

2. If you are doing basic sport or sport s, it’ll be significantly to cheaper upgrade through takeoffs to match Sahara.

3. OP didn’t mention matching Rubi, but some posts brought this up for some reason ... tough to match the lockers on Rubi cost effectively and as reliable.

Here’s my spend
$1200 Rubi wheels - $700 sold sport
$450 roam steps
$300 inspired LeD headlights
$600 Rubi suspension($200) + install ($400)
$120 Rubi front fender (included LEDs)
$100 mopar hitch
—————
$2100’ish ... other cosmetic things not included in here (tint, etc)

If I bought sahara:
- I would have upgraded wheels still
- Sahara Steps would have been fine
- I would have done the $1k LED package
- going to Rubi suspension don’t know?
- nonfromt bumper needed
- hitch?

Sporticon

60C1D379-967F-45FF-8A98-D5F37CEE7AAD.jpeg

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I agree completely....my decision was either base sport, sahara or rubicon....sport s with the options I wanted was really close to Sahara so that was out.....one thing I didn’t see was that I would want more aggressive gearing making the rubicon a more logical choice....then again I might go with 4.56

Btw that sport looks great

Sponsored

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
My opinion....the aftermarket support for Jeeps is quite robust. You can easily mod your Jeep in to whatever you want. The only thing I would recommend is that you buy what you want right off the bat. I say this as an owner of several JKs and one JL. Find the right Jeep at the right price. I'm sure whatever you choose you'll love it.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
@DivingPyrate

Hmmm - some interesting wants and uses on your part and some interesting options in the replies. It makes me think that you might be the right buyer for the Gladiator. The Sport has the best towing capacity and the HD brakes, etc. Go to the "S" option for a lot more standard options to get into some "luxury". Or just go all out and get the Overland (equivalent to the JL Sahara) but a little less towing capability. Anyhow - worth a look as it's still a Jeep and for the most part the front end looks just like a JL - just with some additional neat things tucked inside (optional or not).

But if you're dead set on the JL then go to the Jeep builder and build different packages to exactly how you want them. The problem is you're less likely to find that exact fit by walking onto a lot. Instead you'd most likely have to have it ordered. No idea what that entail but there's an entire thread for that :like:. You'd be amazed at what you can build to customize your needs even on the standard online build site and you could probably do even more when ordering.

Just some ideas for you to mull over while making your decision. For me I got lucky - "built" a Jeep online then searched and albeit I wanted yellow I was able to snag a red with all the options that I wanted plus some!Ok - I wanted the optional Sport S wheels but I can live without easily.
Sponsored