Sponsored

What makes a sahara worth the money, and cant after market address it

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
You are the one that compared your upgrade prices to the price difference of a Rubicon, you should have expected a response that was contrary to the comparison. Honestly, I am glad you got what you wanted and you have it setup they way you want. By all means enjoy it to the fullest.

If you think a Rubicon is just a sticker upgrade, then you are seriously misinformed. I bought mine to rock crawl, the Rubicon mechanicals are what I wanted to accomplish that. I've had a JK sport and a JK Rubicon (in that order) and I was not about to go back to a sport with the type of wheeling I do.

And that's not even close to duplicating a rubicon. You arguably put the least important parts from a rubicon on, and half from the used market, not new, so the price comparison is bogus. If you're just after the cosmetics then sure.

But, to the ops question, what constitutes a Sahara or rubicon and makes them worth the money isn't just a set of rims or some stickers, they both have a host of upgrades that would be more expensive to duplicate in the aftermarket. Of course, if you don't care about the mechanical parts and interior upgrades, then it makes little sense to get one. But that wasn't the question.

Also, why do people think the rubicon is just for rocks? I almost never do rocks but the lockers, sway bar disconnect, low ratio transfer case, and added armor all come in handy in pretty much any rough off road situation that you risk getting stuck in, be it mud, trails with downed trees, washouts, hill climbs etc. The tires they put on it aren't even that great for rocks, the old mtrs from the tj rubicon were. Since then they've put mud terrains and all terrains, which are ok on rocks but far from the best choice out there for rocks.

You added basic cosmetic features only, and still missing the air flow hood, the aux switches, the red dash, but most important the Rubi sway bar disconnect, the suspension, breaks, higher fenders, molle seats, and may be more things that i don't know.
Nowhere did I say the Rubicon is not a fantastic vehicle... The OP asked about adding items via aftermarket so that's what I was responding to. If someone want to outfit a Sport or Sahara to be a Rubicon then sure they are better off just buying it to start. If someone just wants the bits and pieces then they are probably better off going that route.

To each their own.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
What I discovered is that there are unlisted advantages / disadvantages to all trims
Rubicons are SRT of jeeps. No doubt they are nice. But the price is on the extreme end. The dealers know people will pay more for them just for the status. I saw a rubicon with big ol ugly 22 inch wheels on it. That thing at crawling nuttin LOL
If I did a lot of trail riding a rubicon would be the only way to go.
As I will use mine for light trails / camping and beach, and very long road trips. the Sahara is the obvious trim package. I was just curious what made it (base package) worth so much more over an S or Sport.
Learned a lot here and I thank those who kept it positive and pointed out the reasons.

In the end cash is not really a problem, and I will most likely end up with a sahara, with Automatic, leather and tow. But still looking at all my options.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
aww ruben, are you one of those guys that don't own or plan to own a wrangler but just hang out here to be a downer?
come on buddy, life is too short, they don't have a Cherokee forum?
No, I will get a JL and I’ve had cherokees and TJ’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love the platform, but even jeep owners know they shouldn’t be priced so high.​

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep

No, I will get a JL and I’ve had cherokees and TJ’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love the platform, but even jeep owners know they shouldn’t be priced so high.​
How so, no one else is making anything like the Jeep. It does not even have competition, So market dictates price. The new jeeps are so much more sophisticated, nothing like the CJ or YJ I have owned, Those things were great but not much in the comfort area. The drivability, safety and feature level on the JL is crazy good compared to jeeps of the past. If you look at sedans or suvs by other manufacturers (two wheel drive vehicles) they are just as expensive
If the modern jeep was like the jeeps of old I would agree, but they are not

vf171ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Overland, Cherokee, Sonata, Altima
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How so, no one else is making anything like the Jeep. It does not even have competition, So market dictates price. The new jeeps are so much more sophisticated, nothing like the CJ or YJ I have owned, Those things were great but not much in the comfort area. The drivability, safety and feature level on the JL is crazy good compared to jeeps of the past. If you look at sedans or suvs by other manufacturers (two wheel drive vehicles) they are just as expensive
No, gouging is gouging. Some of us are just dumb enough to play along. I did and still can't believe I paid what I did. But I'm more happy than not so it works for me. And apparently it works for lots of others too. Jeep keeps selling more each month.

I all for free-market capitalism but by your logic, market dictates price, then ol' Martin Shkreli (of EpiPen fame) was perfectly legit jacking the price up on his product.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
First for the OP, buy what you feel. My perspective is each level is for a wide range of users so only you can decide what it is you want from your Jeep and buy it. HOWEVER I would buy the Jeep outfitted close to what you want rather than going below that and adding on a bunch of things to get it to the trim level you like. In my experience that never works out. For example the radio just won’t work as well and “talk” to the Jeep like the upgraded stock will and so on. Those have been my regrets in the past.

Secondly the off topic banter of value. I find the Wrangler and all its trims are right where they should be. Wide range of prices to fit most budgets. The only complaints I see are from these “old school” people who want the capability of the Rubi but still want roll up windows, manual trans and a real mans key to start their rig. They are being forced to buy the extras they don’t want. All I can say is sorry boys, get rid of your flip phone, Palm pilots and blackberry’s and treat yourself to some new tech. Proximity sensors, rear cameras, push to start and all the other things are awesome. Let the tough guy go and you to can enjoy the new ride. All the above of course is in jest, buy what you like and can afford and enjoy.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Well for starters, some JU’s going for 32-35k don’t even have power windows or locks. That crap should be standard even in base models. I don’t even think any other vehicle on the planet comes with manual locks/window anymore lol.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You can get a Sahara for about $2,000 more than an optioned out sport S, with the difference being the 8.4 inch u-connect and the selection-trac all time 4wd. That's worth it. HD brakes standard in the Sahara would be included, obviously, along with improved suspension which includes front CV joints that would easily cost more than the difference.

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
This is an interesting thread and i appreciate all the responses, especially the technical ones since i am NOT mechanically inclined.

I bought a well equipped JLU Punk’n Sahara. My wife and i always had a summer convertible that i had to store every winter. Now, i just drop the softtop and away we go! We live by the ocean, so its a nice beach machine. I’m 60-90 minutes from several ski resorts too, so I plan on putting the hardtop and ski rack, and away we go! Its a daily driver for me so I like the leather, 8” screen, and color fenders, and larger wheels. Last and most important to me, my grandkids think its a hoot, and great ice cream rider for them!

Nothing too mechanically technical here!

Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I have a new JLU Sahara with only hardtop and limited slip, although expensive (I paid $39k) I did think it was worth it.

I would have bought a rubicon if there was one available with the options I wanted (namely just hardtop) but it still would have been about 3k more than the sahara.

getting takeoff rubicon suspension and wheels/tires gave me the look I was going for with still a good chunk of change in the bank and a bit more luxurious interior (leather wrapped shifter, etc...even with cloth interior and grey painted dash). If I needed the lockers/disco and heavier front axle then the extra money would certainly have been worth it but I pretty much plan to stay mostly on road with occasional trails so the sahara with takeoff stuff to make it look a bit cooler fit the bill for me plus gave me a more unique look.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Been studying the heck out of all the different models, and from what I can tell the main things a sahara offers a sport S cant are
Leather Interior (can live without) Katskins
Suspension
8 inch screen (can live without) After Market Radios
LED Headlights (can live without) After Market LEDs
Color Matched roof and fenders (Actually don't like)

Of all them I could live without most of them, except one
The improved suspension.
Does anyone make a better after market suspension for a Sport S, that would rival the Sahara suspension?
Not interested in lift as much as ride quality. I will most likely never run larger than 33s
Sahara also has bigger and better breaks.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Well actually I was not aware about the brakes. That is important as I will be towing.
Wondered what HD brakes were, now I know.
The other thing I really like about sahara and hate, is the leather interior gives you the drop down center arm rest on the back seat. Not a fan of factory leather, since custom leather is reasonable and you get what you want. But that is the only way to get that option and leather is not on the Sport S
I thought the same thing, but am glad I didnt get the leather. If you have three people in the back then none of them get a cupholder. That may not apply to everyone but it does to me. Ive actually seen people with leather adding the floor mounted cupholders to their Jeep.

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I had a very similar thought process. Ended up going with a Sport S as it had just enough luxury items but not so much that I would cringe to do anything a "Jeep" should do (coming from an Audi I wanted to take a break from having to worry about "fancy car problems").

The only thing I didn't see you mention which may be a factor but obviously can easily be a after market item are running boards. For the first couple weeks I felt my JL looked naked without them, but now I've gotten used to it and actually prefer the look, at least on mine.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Automotive forums are full of modification threads where people have bought lower trim vehicles and upgraded this or that. It's what makes these forums interesting. Personally, I'm not a big fan of buying a really low trim level and trying to put a ton of factory upgrades in one. But everyone has their own canoe to paddle. I did recently buy a JLUR and I will upgrade the headlights to LED, add some off-road lights, bumpers, winch, towbar, hi-lift jack, maybe a roof box.
Sponsored