What makes a sahara worth the money, and cant after market address it

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Well actually I was not aware about the brakes. That is important as I will be towing.
Wondered what HD brakes were, now I know.
The other thing I really like about sahara and hate, is the leather interior gives you the drop down center arm rest on the back seat. Not a fan of factory leather, since custom leather is reasonable and you get what you want. But that is the only way to get that option and leather is not on the Sport S
Your close enough to the 2019's. Who know what it will bring. No matter what I chose, there were compromises. I would say, do what makes you happy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
I am still heavily in the research stage. It will be February before I buy.
The plan is to walk in and pay cash

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Well actually I was not aware about the brakes. That is important as I will be towing.
Wondered what HD brakes were, now I know.
The other thing I really like about sahara and hate, is the leather interior gives you the drop down center arm rest on the back seat. Not a fan of factory leather, since custom leather is reasonable and you get what you want. But that is the only way to get that option and leather is not on the Sport S
If you just want the suspension and brakes, you can do take-offs for the suspension and buy MOPAR part 77072434 for the heavy duty brake kit.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/77072434/Heavy-duty+Brake+Kit.html

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
Not really...

I bought a Sport but liked a few things from the other models. My Sport was 13K less than a Rubicon.

Added take off Rubicon Wheels = $600
Added take off Rubicon Rock Rails = $140
Added Uconnect 4 7" Screen = $500
Added Gas Filler Door = $90

My total damage to get the bits and parts I liked? $1,330 -v- $13,000
You added basic cosmetic features only, and still missing the air flow hood, the aux switches, the red dash, but most important the Rubi sway bar disconnect, the suspension, breaks, higher fenders, molle seats, and may be more things that i don't know.

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Not really...

I bought a Sport but liked a few things from the other models. My Sport was 13K less than a Rubicon.

Added take off Rubicon Wheels = $600
Added take off Rubicon Rock Rails = $140
Added Uconnect 4 7" Screen = $500
Added Gas Filler Door = $90

My total damage to get the bits and parts I liked? $1,330 -v- $13,000
And that's not even close to duplicating a rubicon. You arguably put the least important parts from a rubicon on, and half from the used market, not new, so the price comparison is bogus. If you're just after the cosmetics then sure.

But, to the ops question, what constitutes a Sahara or rubicon and makes them worth the money isn't just a set of rims or some stickers, they both have a host of upgrades that would be more expensive to duplicate in the aftermarket. Of course, if you don't care about the mechanical parts and interior upgrades, then it makes little sense to get one. But that wasn't the question.

Also, why do people think the rubicon is just for rocks? I almost never do rocks but the lockers, sway bar disconnect, low ratio transfer case, and added armor all come in handy in pretty much any rough off road situation that you risk getting stuck in, be it mud, trails with downed trees, washouts, hill climbs etc. The tires they put on it aren't even that great for rocks, the old mtrs from the tj rubicon were. Since then they've put mud terrains and all terrains, which are ok on rocks but far from the best choice out there for rocks.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Regardless, the JL is an overpriced SUV for what you get. 40-50k for a JEEP boggles my mind. But if people pay, they will price them as such. I will be going with sport S option with anti slip and just add mopar lift and better tires and rims. That’s all I need, but that’s me. I plan to used mine as a DD and Overland.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Regardless, the JL is an overpriced SUV for what you get. 40-50k for a JEEP boggles my mind. But if people pay, they will price them as such. I will be going with sport S option with anti slip and just add mopar lift and better tires and rims. That’s all I need, but that’s me. I plan to used mine as a DD and Overland.
What can you get sub 50k that is better? There aren't many 4x4s with full lockers and sway bar disconnect at any price, let alone sub 50k.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased my Sahara from dealer stock and would have picked one with more options but my wallet dictated what I drove off with, the only option I would have liked to had was the LED package but just was not in what they had available.

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Can you get the sahara backseat from maybe a totaled jeep and put it in a sport?

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Check the mod forum. Several have bought the rear cup holders and installed them in a Jeep with leather.

I am working on getting Mopar LEDs put on my sport S. THe only thing im really disappointed is that LED wasn’t an option since it was on the JK. I need them because have night vision issues.

Hopefully by the time the OP gets one there will be more aftermarket options.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am still heavily in the research stage. It will be February before I buy.
The plan is to walk in and pay cash
That's perfectly good OP--and get what you want and enjoy it. One thing. If you're not a motivated buyer timewise, why not placed a factory order (maybe you are)? You can get exactly what you want (true, some features come as packages but at least you don't have to pay for packages you don't want). I got mine 5% off Invoice at Koons in Vienna, VA by doing this. The only cost for this is patience for your build to occur that your timeline for purchase clearly gives you.

Good luck.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
What can you get sub 50k that is better? There aren't many 4x4s with full lockers and sway bar disconnect at any price, let alone sub 50k.
Regardless 50k is a crap load of money for FCA reliability. That’s more important than lockers.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Who cares if it's not a Rubicon? I get that some buy it for the stickers and badges but that's not me as even if I had purchased a Rubicon those stickers and badges would have been removed almost as soon as I drove it off the dealer lot. I am not looking to impress anyone and want my Jeep the way I want it...

I didn't want the same appointments as the Rubicon, if I did then that's what I would have purchased. I wanted a stripper Jeep with manual door and manual locks. You see, not everyone is interested in what the Rubicon has to offer. I don;t rock crawl and I don't do extreme off road. I do easy to moderate trails and any Wrangler, even stock is capable of that...
You are the one that compared your upgrade prices to the price difference of a Rubicon, you should have expected a response that was contrary to the comparison. Honestly, I am glad you got what you wanted and you have it setup they way you want. By all means enjoy it to the fullest.

If you think a Rubicon is just a sticker upgrade, then you are seriously misinformed. I bought mine to rock crawl, the Rubicon mechanicals are what I wanted to accomplish that. I've had a JK sport and a JK Rubicon (in that order) and I was not about to go back to a sport with the type of wheeling I do.

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
Regardless 50k is a crap load of money for FCA reliability. That’s more important than lockers.
aww ruben, are you one of those guys that don't own or plan to own a wrangler but just hang out here to be a downer?
come on buddy, life is too short, they don't have a Cherokee forum?
Sponsored