Sponsored

What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

MtnJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed
Mm. The JLU Rubicon starts at $42K, but not once have I seen one on the dealer lots for a penny less than $50K. Most inventory is well north of that number, too. The Gladiator Rubicon Moab editions are $63K or so, all day long, and there's room on the Option sheet to go even higher.

At those altitudes (ha), even 5% off invoice doesn't elicit much cheer.

I agree, the price of everything has a northbound trajectory these days. I dare not visit the lumber yard without having smelling salts in hand.
We are getting a 2 door Rubicon manual trans, cloth seats, cold weather pack, tow pack, hard top and a couple little things. Under $45k all in... It is a Jeep, it will get used like a Jeep, most of the extras do not even appeal to me. There are much better choices if you want a luxury vehicle IMO.

I was really hoping to re-do the deck this summer. Not happening at the current prices. Hard to say if it will get better anytime soon though.
Sponsored

fastcar4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
From birth in the late 1960s, I grew up in and around International Scouts, Travelalls, and pickups. Although IH stopped Scout production in 1980, we still had a Scout until the last day of 1993. So, I drive a Rubicon because it is the next best thing to a Scout ... "anything less is just a car."

Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? Rubicon

Last edited:

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

So, what made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

Personally, I moved from the city to the country, back in September '20. And when you say "country" in Eastern Quebec, it REALLY means "country".

And I quickly realized that in the country, you need two things: 4X4 and ground clearance. My little AWD CX-30 didn't cut it.

So yeah, I test drove a Wrangler since I always wanted one but always seen that as "the cool car i'll never get because it doesn't make much sense"...

...and now am hooked...AND it's making a lot of sense.
A Jeep Wrangler was my dream car since I was a little girl because.........my Barbie had one. It took me until I was 33 but I got a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. And I love every second of driving it! Thanks Mattel!

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
The jeep is my “h2 hummer” because it was my dream suv. I didnt realize how shitty hummers were built so the jeeps boxy design attracted me to it. Also ill never drive something that isnt lifted. I like being able to drive over obstacles if its faster. And i have a habit of breaking all of my cars when i go off road because they bottom out going up inclines with their useless amount of ground clearance. It hurts like hell hitting a rock at 50kmh in a mud puddle because the car cant drive over it like a jeep can.

Redbullf189

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Sting-Gray
I've always loved the Jeep because it's unique and is in a league of its own. About 2 years ago, I was able to rent a JL Sport S from Enterprise and fell in love with it. Fast foward to a couple months ago, I went in to look at a Sport JL and saw the Willys Sport I now own. Today, it's been the best vehicle purchase I've made, and it makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
From birth in the late 1960s, I grew up in and around International Scouts, Travelalls, and pickups. Although IH stopped Scout production in 1980, we still had a Scout until the last day of 1993. So, I drive a Rubicon because it is the next best thing to a Scout ... "anything less is just a car."

Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? Rubicon
I agree,I went Jeep many moons ago because you couldn’t get a new Scout and my ‘80 finally wore out. Jeep was next best. No regrets but I di miss the IH’s, They were tough little rigs..

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

Personally, I moved from the city to the country, back in September '20. And when you say "country" in Eastern Quebec, it REALLY means "country".

And I quickly realized that in the country, you need two things: 4X4 and ground clearance. My little AWD CX-30 didn't cut it.

So yeah, I test drove a Wrangler since I always wanted one but always seen that as "the cool car i'll never get because it doesn't make much sense"...

I wanted something that would be the most capable vehicle for off roading. In the past, I was primarily a Toyota Tacoma person but the Wranglers could always do more capable things and I loved the options. As a result, I ordered and bought my first ever Jeep, a 2021, JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Having both a front and rear locker as well as a sway bar disconnect along with the ability to lift the Jeep much easier than a Tacoma, are the things that eventually did it for me. And so far, I absolutely love almost everything that there is about my Rubicon.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU

Isn’t it funny, so many people I talk to about my Jeep. It always comes to light that ‘They always wanted one’. This isn’t a bandwagon that I jumped on, and I wouldn’t even consider getting ANYTHING else. My first Jeep was a 1972 CJ-5 with a 304 V-8 and a 3 SPD manual. Drove like a tank and I loved it. Then I got a 79 CJ-7, an 81 CJ-7, a brand new 94 YJ (that was stolen) then an 84 CJ-7, a 97 TJ, a new 13 JK Rubicon ( first Jeep I ever ordered, and the first one I rolled) now I have my 19 2-door Rubicon. So I guess it’s more of a bandwagon train. I didn’t mention the other Jeep’s that my wife has had or the one I bought for my 12 year old daughter, so we can get it ready for when she gets her license. It’s Jeep or it’s nothing.

JSBean18

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m a utilitarian, I love 70/80 series Land Crusiers and 80s Toyota Trucks, when they were designed function over form.

I have a lot of opinions (negative) on modern Toyota designs where there is a lot of faux and decorative elements like fake vents and fake covers. Overly done body lines and curved surfaces that makes it bulky for no apparent reason.

Also bad designs that decrease your approach/departure angles.

I jumped on the band wagon because my 4Runner Limited was becoming a money pit and not for good reasons. I loved Toyota, my Tacoma was 11 years old with almost 200,000 miles and it was a work horse for me, sold it in 2014 for the 4Runner. The 4Runner got traded in just over 125,000 miles didn't have it for more than 6 years. I was disappointed in the suspension, tire wear. I was lucky to get 30K out of a set of tires. Then my suspension had to be replaced. Apparently I was lucky to get over 100K out of that suspension. Last year I was starting to have issues with the Bluetooth and didn't want to spend more money on electrical stuff when its out of warranty.

I test drove two different vehicles, and well the Rubicon just put this HUGE smile on my face and I knew it was the vehicle for me. One of the things I liked was the after market availability on the Jeep product. Flat towing behind my RV, and being able to take it well anywhere. I like the fact there are so many groups and people are for the most part nice in the Jeep community. Learning the history behind it. The last additional perk is driving without a roof! So much fun!

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Had one for the first time as a rental in Colorado, me and the GF enjoyed driving through the mountains on some fire roads and light trails. I definitely didn't try taking a rental car through tougher areas, nope not me, I would never do that! 😉 Every year we went back to Colorado before the Rona I'd make sure to rent another wrangler. I like driving motorized anythings, GF likes seeing stuff so it worked out pretty good in between doing other stuff on vacation. Now that I'm not racing motorcycles anymore I wanted to get addicted to another money pit hobby, and figured some wheeling would be a good choice. Chance of injury basically non existent compared to road racing sport bikes, and probably a lot cheaper over the long run too lol.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I was forced into the Jeep society at a very young age. My friend bought one and that is what we used as our learning curve for lifts and tires and to learn some wheeling technics.... So he had a CJ5 and I said there was no way I was going to buy 1 that I would find a CJ7 with a better wheelbase.... LoL and so the story goes..... since he had one I got one to make sourcing parts easier and working with the limited tools easier since they were the same requirements..... then later on right after my first divorce I bought a nice used TJ..... I wasn't a fan of the the JKs' then the JLs' came out and I was better off after my second divorce :CWL: so since I have the JL I figured best bet to rescue a dog this time might be better wheeling.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
One of the few new vehicles with manual transmission. Holds value well. COVID/ Chrysler employee pricing and supply/demand issues due to COVID made Spring 2020 almost impossible not to buy the Wrangler I always wanted. My 2011 Compass with manual trans and hydraulic clutch have been damn reliable with only a wheel hub issue. The brakes and clutch lasted 100K miles.

Mostly a fun way to get a manual transmission. With manuals being fun to drive, I figured I would keep a long time. Gladiators with manual transmissions seemed even more scarce than 2 door Wranglers with hard top, or else that would likely have been my purchase. I would add that with new Bronco not out in Spring 2020, I did not have to wrestle with that option.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Got my first Jeep after I tried to restore an old Land Rover, said F it and bought a new YJ !

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
This is why. 2 hrs to get to the ORP, 5 hours on the trails, bent front license plate, dinged skidplates, pinstripes and the biggest smiles on me and my buddies face, nevermind the kids
Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? 20210423_134958
Sponsored