Sponsored

What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Drove a friend's CJ in 1986 and it I just instantly wanted a Jeep. Never could justify getting one. Finally one day just said why not and bought a new 2010 JKU Sport. Actually it was for the wife, but at least I got to drive it some.

MyWyomingJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
USAF Retired
Since we moved to Wyoming, we wanted something that had good ground clearance. Something that would be able to make it through lots of snow. Itā€™s about 7 miles from where we live to the closest paved roads. The county does a great job of keeping our road cleared when it snows, but it may take then 2-3 days before they get out our way. Our Jeep is just what we needed. Itā€™s also a great vehicle for driving off-road when weā€™re in the Bighorn mountains. Iā€™m just worried about if it will hold up for years to come. For a new vehicle, itā€™s been in and out of the shop way too many times. And now I have to take it in for a popping sound up front when Iā€™m turning. Glad we purchased an extended warranty.

Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? 50EDBDE9-9137-459E-83F9-C0AB54F9056F

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

So, what made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?
My dream car has always been a good looking convertible with 4 doors, AWD/4WD and lots of ground clearance, but I never got a Wrangler all these years, because having to get out and do a bunch of steps just to drop the top was a complete turn off for me. So I drove traditional convertibles like Mustangs until I discovered this company called myTop which makes POWERED convertible tops for Wranglers ever since the JK! Man if I knew they existed, the JK would have been one of my very first vehicles or maybe my only since I get bit by the mod bug with every car.

Last edited:

mtu1293

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2016 WK2 75th addt, 2014 Ram 2500, 46 CJ2A, 60s CJ6
For me it started because I needed a smaller rig for wheeling at offroad parks. Always had large fullsize rigs up through college, moved and crap its all little vehicles that fit best at parks. First jeep was a 92 XJ, that we build over time - in the end it was on 4.5" lift, trimmed fenders, 6pt cage, lockers front/rear, 4.56 gears 33" boggers, etc.

Kinda stuck with em now since 2003ish having some sort of Jeep. I've had 7 at one time, and owned over 20 since '03. Met a lot of awesome people in clubs as we moved throughout my career. Currently we have a WK2, and JLUR we drive, with a CJ6 and 2A sleeping in storage at our place up north.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I've had a few Jeep vehicles myself, but these are our first Wranglers. I learned to drive 30 years ago in my mom's '87 XJ, and then years later my mom had a '99 WJ that I would borrow sometimes when I needed to haul stuff for my house.

We've also had an '03 KJ since new - my wife bought it in September of '02 right after we got married, and we've held onto it since then. It was the vehicle we took my son home from the hospital in after he was born, and we gave it to him when he got his license last year. I also had an XJ as a daily driver; I bought a used '01 in '06 and drove it 5 years when my kids were small and the extra doors and cargo space were really useful. It's safe to say we've been Jeep fans for a long time.

My love for the Wrangler started when my buddy got a brand new YJ 31 years ago when we were still in HS. Over the next few years, we had great times cruising around, going to Jeep shows, and wrenching on it as well. I just loved that feeling of freedom when you're out on a sunny, summer day with the top down and doors off, and no particular direction or place to go.

By 2018, my wife's faithful '03 KJ was starting to need attention; the radiator had developed a small leak, the rear calipers were seized and some of the brake hoses also needed to be replaced, and the sunroof switch became really finicky. We decided to keep it as a father-son project and she should get something new. My son (who was 15 at the time) had been studying the new JLs and convinced my wife to test drive one. She was instantly hooked. We did a factory-order because trying to find a Firecracker Red JL Unlimited Sport S with the dual-top group was like trying to find a needle in a haystack in March of 2018. Her JL was delivered in May, and we took the hard top off the next morning and installed the soft top. We had such a blast driving around that day with the top down! A few weeks later we convinced her to take a ride with us with the doors off, and I knew I'd have to get one for myself.

I picked mine up in July of 2019 and have had a LOT of fun with it already - family day trips to the beach with the top down, bonding with my son while working on it or wheeling out at Rausch Creek, and parking in really small spots or on snow piles at work where "normal" vehicles would never dare to go. That little Mojito green Jeep makes me smile every time I see it in a parking lot filled with boring SUVs!

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

So, what made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

Personally, I moved from the city to the country, back in September '20. And when you say "country" in Eastern Quebec, it REALLY means "country".

And I quickly realized that in the country, you need two things: 4X4 and ground clearance. My little AWD CX-30 didn't cut it.

So yeah, I test drove a Wrangler since I always wanted one but always seen that as "the cool car i'll never get because it doesn't make much sense"...

...and now am hooked...AND it's making a lot of sense.
After renting in the USVI and realizing just how fun they are to drive, we knew weā€™d want one when the time was right. Honestly though, what has held me back from buying is everything I read here in these pages. Even the most ardent fans will say that they are a high maintenance and costly ownership experience. Weā€˜ve owned Hondas and Subarus so are not used to endless recalls and down time for repairs. In spite of all of our concerns, we threw caution to the wind and bought a low mileage 2018 CPO 2 door Sport S manual 3 weeks ago. But of course the dealer canā€™t deliver it to us because of the unresolved clutch recall so it sits, waiting. Not a great way to start.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Always wanted one, but was never practical due to size and other reasons. Rented a soft top 4 door in Palm springs on vacation and decided it was more practical than I thought, and even more fun than I thought it would be.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I have wanted one since I got out of college 20 plus years ago. I drive for my job and I just couldnā€™t justify it and always bought SUVā€™s that got better gas mileage and cars I could put 400 plus thousand miles on. When my last suv crapped out at 80 k miles I said Iā€™m buying what I want this time. Plus I donā€™t drive nearly as much. 1 day a week now. So I bought one. We have a cabin. We fish the river where I live. We fish all over the place and a lot are hard to get to. I was tired of always grabbing the pick up from my dad when I needed it so that was my other reason. Now I have zero issues getting in and out of anywhere we go. We go down to topsail nc in a few weeks. I was going to take it but I donā€™t think I can do the 12 hr drive in it. Maybe I can but driving in our Tahoe is deff more comfortable. Maybe august trip down I will cause I know Iā€™m going to regret it. I know I am once I get down there. Lol

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Jeeps have something most other vehicles donā€™t... character. Character is how does it make you feel when you drive it. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re amazing.
There are plenty of other vehicles that are cheaper, with more features, better gas mileage, better handling and more comfort.... but they lack character.
I agree. Although what you call vehicles with character, I call vehicles with a soul. Some vehicles have a soul. They make you feel alive when you drive them. Most vehicles don't have it though. Some actually make you feel dead inside when you drive them.

Sponsored

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
It started in 1998 for me. I was into the Japanese sports cars. I had a 1993 Supra. My friend was having her 1994 YJ repossessed because she missed two months of payments. She shared with me she was going to let the bank take it. I asked her if I could pay it off and keep the Jeep. My plan was to sell it and make a few thousand bucks. She agreed and I ended up with the Supra and the YJ.

I was a waiter then. I remember driving the YJ to work for the first time and many of the waiters and waitresses caming out to admire it. On the way back home, I stopped at a gas station. This kid was looking at my Jeep from a one of the other vehicles. The dad asked me if it was OK for his kid to get inside the Jeep and check it out. I let him. Hopefully, he grew up to be a Jeep person.

Sold the Supra, kept the Jeep, and I have been a Wrangler guy since then.

j4exe4p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It was an evolution for me. Started with a '75 CJ-5, '89 YJ, '93 TJ, '03 WK, '07 JKU, and now in a '19 JKUR... brand loyalty and all around familiarity of the platform made it an easy decision. Looking forward to the next JXR!!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
9 years ago my business partner took me out in his jeep... I couldnā€™t believe what the vehicle could do, my body was sore, I had a blast, and Grand Cherokee was suddenly tree in bait

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler