Sponsored

What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I live in South Africa, we have extremely unlimited rural space one can explore, deserts, forests, mountains, dunes, you name it we have it in South Africa.

The Wrangler is the only vehicle that lives up to all that I want from a vehicle without having to own more than one vehicle that suites each of my requirements.

With my Wrangler I can:

1. Hit the back roads, travel for more than 600 miles without passing through any large city or paved road exploring the outdoors.

2. Hit the local 4X4 trails and drive it home after a days fun (No need to tow a trail toy to the trail and back).

3. Drop the top and cruise convertible style down the coastal boulevard.

4. Doubles as a Moms taxi and do the school run.

5. Remove the top, doors and drop the front window and cruise in a completely unique niche vehicle.

6. Have access to an aftermarket accessories market that allows me unlimited options to make my Wrangler unique and individualized. No two Wranglers look the same.

I can carry on but I am sure by now you get the point that the Wrangler is special and no other competitor vehicle (No matter how hard they try) would be able to replicate this winning formula.

Live without limits!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly, I think they drive great on a highway. I have zero objective complaints with the exception of driving on a breezy day. Driving locally, specifically in an area with a lot of lights or stop signs and taking corners is where I think a Jeep's ride is poor personally.

Why do I drive a Jeep Wrangler? Besides appearance, Wranglers have a lot of things going for it. It's perfectly sized, a true 4x4, body on frame, relatively easy to work on, amazing visibility, the interior is nice without being fancy nor has too much technology, still has a traditional naturally aspirated motor and incredible resale value.. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
toyota-fj40-1.jpg

If Toyota made and still produced the FJ Cruiser more like a modern FJ40. I would have probably bought it over the JL Rubicon.
Agree.
My gf knows nothing about cars, but everytime when we go wheeling with my buddy who drives a FJ Crusier, she always comment on why the FJ Crusier looks like an overly bloated land-whale with a constipated look on its face.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
toyota-fj40-1.jpg

If Toyota made and still produced the FJ Cruiser more like a modern FJ40. I would have probably bought it over the JL Rubicon.
Oh Lord, that thing is so badass...That TFL YouTube channel had one on auction, last week.

Sponsored

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I wanted a smaller vehicle that I could take up in the mountains and out in the desert when I was out west. Originally wanted a Ford Bronco (only drove Ford F-150's for past 20 years), but the more I learned about them the less I wanted one. In my mind, that only left the Jeep Wrangler. To be honest, if I wanted a great highway driving vehicle with lots of room, I would have kept the F-150.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Im 1989 was 17 and just out of high school. I had been saving all my money from graduation and working for my first "car". Found this 1980 K5 Blazer from a farmer. It was in the barn and had a bug shield naming it "Bad Attitude". I gave my dad $1000 and financed the other $2500 through him to buy it. Had some of my best times in there until I blew the engine drag racing a van. I lived in a Midwestern farm community and it gave me the abilty to go anywhere.

I later moved to Houston and got a car when I could afford one because I needed something dependable and easy to maneuver in the Houston traffic. As soon as that got totaled, I got the 99 Jeep TJ Sahara to bring me back to the feeling of my Blazer. After that I had a few pickups and an economical Accord we had my son and gas was $4 a gallon and I had a long commute to work. My commute has become about 10 yards, so when the time was right I got a 21 JLUR. I feel like I'm 17 again. And now my 13 yr old son gets to be hooked too.

Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? FAE487AB-C41F-42D1-B836-F4331871D2B5_1_201_a

Jeep Wrangler JL What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon? IMG_2396

Last edited:

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
Wanted one way back when I was in high school, 20+ years ago. One of my college roommates had one and we road tripped in it once and I lost the desire to get one after that trip.

Fast forward 20 years and I just bought a JLU for my wife in October and now I want one as well. My commute is 30 miles each way, sometimes stop and go, so if i got one, it'd probably by my weekend car/drive to work once a week car.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I have had a thing for Jeeps since I was in the military (and NO, it's not because I was in The Big One with the original GP Jeeps!). Several of my buddies had YJ's since it was their era. While I really liked them, I still wasn't a fan of the leaf spring suspension, square headlights, wipers in the middle of the windshield, and poor AC/heater. I had just started a new career with decent salary when I saw the announcement for the new TJ. Jeep was fixing all my issues! I ordered one in December '96...and it took 6 months to come in. I loved my TJ and kept it for 14 years. When I got rid of it, I realized I was not yet over my Jeep infatuation. Now that the kids are all out of the house, I am getting another proper Jeep...2-door manual!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My cousin wants a Wrangler, but tells me that the known issue with snow & ice accumulation on the windscreen is a Hard Stop for him. I've advised him that the known fix for this matter is the staggered placement of 5/8" square plugs, just as I and many other owners have done.

I'm not saying his concern isn't valid, but to allow one's self to be stopped out by just one niggling problem, which has an inexpensive and proven solution, seems a bit self-defeating IMO.

He ended up purchasing a convertible 350Z in lieu of the Wrangler. As much as I like the coupe body style of the original, the aesthetic of adding the soft top really loses a lot in translation. It just doesn't look as good as the hard top, which has a flow that the truncated soft top is unable to duplicate.

That's not so with the Wrangler. It's difficult to screw up a brick, lol.

Several of my buddies had YJ's since it was their era. While I really liked them, I still wasn't a fan of the leaf spring suspension, square headlights, wipers in the middle of the windshield, and poor AC/heater.
Former YJ owner here. Purchased new off the lot.

-Leaf spring suspension: Agreed. It worked, but it could have been better.

-Square headlights: I wasn't bothered by that design choice. Let other folks wail and rend their garments, I say. ;)

-Mildly elevated wipers (not "in the middle"): I actually liked that aesthetic, and had briefly toyed with the idea of reclocking the wiper arms on my JLU to reproduce it.

-Poor AC/heater: I didn't have AC, but the heater always kept the interior of my soft top YJ comfortably warm during the cold Pennsylvania winter.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I chose to get a Wrangler almost 100% for it's easy flat tow ability behind my RV. Luckily I have fallen for it as a daily driver also so it's a win win.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
In 1983 the Marines put me through M151A1 Jeep with Trailer driving school. The following week they banned the use of the Jeep. I have wanted one ever since sitting behind the wheel. Last year I went through cancer treatment and after surviving that I said I am finally getting what I have wanted and went and bought a Wrangler.