What Made YOU Fall in Love with Jeep?

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
As a little kid, circa 1970, driving back from the beach stuck in traffic and I look over and see a Meyers Manx Dune Buggy and thought "I want one of them." Then I spot a green 1970 CJ5 Renegade and that was "it." I've owned 2 cars in my life, but didn't keep either long. The Wrangler is the only thing left in this market (ok, I know the Bronco is coming) that still looks "old school."
Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
The sense of freedom it gives me.

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
A neighbor down the street had one in the 60's and I fell in love back then, ( I was around 6 or 7) Finally achieved my dream when I picked up my baby 2 days before Christmas 2020

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Always liked from afar. Then I rented a JLU for a week to use in the NC mountains. I had a camp site that needed 4L to reach.

I was very sad to return the vehicle although I had not fully mastered that shifting procedure. Sometimes I'd nail it and other times not so much.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Like Irish Creig, my love for Jeeps went back to being a kid growing up in the 1960's. Our next door neighbors had a full time baby sitter who drove a red CJ, usually with the top off (of the Jeep, not her), and she would give us rides in it to the local ice cream stand. Compared to all the station wagons and sedans in the neighborhood, that Jeep just screamed "Cool" and "Carefree" (not to mention the beautiful twenty something year old driving it.) I told myself I'd get my own Jeep someday, just took a bit longer than I anticipated. Just glad they were still making them by the time we got around to buying one.

Best,
-Tim

SnazberryPearl

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 2021, Rubicon Recon JKU 2018
For me, I was in graduate school and had a colleague/student who had 2 kids and was married and commuted into the university everyday in a Cherokee. That Cherokee was put through a bazillion miles. So when I graduated and could afford a new car, I too got a Cherokee and loved it. Years later I started my family and got into a Honda Element (the year before the four door wranglers became available). That Honda was ok, but then I spied those 4 door wranglers and traded that Honda in! I have since owned four different wrangler Jeeps and now am driving a 2-door JL. Love, love, love all of my Jeeps! 😍

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I've basically always admired Jeeps from afar. I almost bought one a few times, but I always went in what I considered a more practical direction. I don't go off-road. What the heck am I going to do with a Jeep? They get terrible gas mileage. They ride rough.

I've been thinking a lot about the wild ride I've been on lately. Seven years ago, I almost got a Jeep, but due to poor fuel economy and other concerns, I decided to go test drive a truck first. I was driving a Ford Focus at the time, the Eco edition with all the extra aerodynamic crap on it. I hated that miserable piece of crap, but it did get 38 mpg consistently, and I have a big commute.

That was the winter I ripped the aerodynamic crap off the bottom driving up my street. They didn't get through with a plow before it froze rock hard. Yeah, screw the Focus, I needed some ground clearance and a 4WD. I test drove the truck, fell in love, and I was still in love on the day I finally bought a Jeep.

Looking back, now that I've decided to sell the truck, I now realize everything I tried to do with that thing is stuff I should have been doing in a Jeep. Either vehicle will do the job, but the Jeep eats washboards and gullies for breakfast. Plus it's easier to park at Walmart, and better as a grocery getter. With the top off and the rear seats folded down, it has a comparable cargo capability.

I've just begun my Jeep journey, but I have completely abandoned all interest in trucks after just one week of daily driving the Jeep, and two weekends of playing with it on forest roads. I will go off-road whenever I find a place where I can. In the meantime, there are miles and miles of these forest roads around here, and they're open to the public. This thing is getting the same gas mileage as my truck. It rides better than my truck.

I should have bought a Jeep seven years ago, but better late than never!