Sponsored

What lift kit will you go with for your JL Wrangler?

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
AEV will likely have something of quality available pretty soon I'm sure, and I'd fork over the money to have their parts bolted onto my Jeep
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If I have learned anything in all the years of building modified vehicles the MORE oem the BETTER. Sparse is good. For 2" of height you shouldn't need to replace the entire suspension.

Not one aftermarket company has access to testing OEMs have when it comes to durability, reliability, and even testing proper spring rates, and valving on shocks.
Concur as well. I have a Rock Krawler setup on my JK and I love it but I think I will go with Mopar 2" next time around. Simpler and highly effective.

Dude's Jeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Occupation
I deliver spirits in the Rocky Mtns!
I'm not as confident in the stock stuff. The factory Rubicon springs and shocks were mediocre at best. It does look from a distance like more quality parts may be used on the JL. It would have been really easy to put progressive rate springs on it for a more quality ride, for example. I've often thought that they know a lot of these will be modified, so why put highest quality parts where they'll most likely be changed.

That being said, I like a low COG setup for what I wheel. If I go with the 2 door, I'll probably stay at stock height, but put higher quality springs and shocks, and replace the 33s with 35s really early. If I end up with a JLUR, I'll do a 2 1/2" AEV lift, and again 35s.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I’m certain I’ll leave it stock. I’ve never been able to remain problem free with lifted vehicles, and I’ve had many to prove the theory. So yeah, OEM is the best way to go for durability and reliability. AEV is a close second, but still prone to issues sooner than stock would

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not as confident in the stock stuff. The factory Rubicon springs and shocks were mediocre at best. It does look from a distance like more quality parts may be used on the JL. It would have been really easy to put progressive rate springs on it for a more quality ride, for example. I've often thought that they know a lot of these will be modified, so why put highest quality parts where they'll most likely be changed.

That being said, I like a low COG setup for what I wheel. If I go with the 2 door, I'll probably stay at stock height, but put higher quality springs and shocks, and replace the 33s with 35s really early. If I end up with a JLUR, I'll do a 2 1/2" AEV lift, and again 35s.
A Rancho rep once told me in Moab that the Rubi stock shocks were excellent.

Sponsored

Dude's Jeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Occupation
I deliver spirits in the Rocky Mtns!
No offense to Rancho, but I wonder who makes those shocks:idea:

Seriously though, if I'm replacing the springs, I'm also replacing the shocks with higher quality shocks.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
The JL Rubicons come stock with the highline flares, so 35s would fit with no need for a lift, unless you just wanted a lift. With a 2" and proper bumpstops on a Rubicon you should be able to run 37s. Sports and Saharas with "regular" flares would likely just need a simple 2" lift to run 35s.

This green rig that Mopar built is a Rubicon on their 2" with 35s, so that's what 2" and 35s would look like on a Rubicon with their highline flares:
2560_3000-2-jpg.jpg

And I agree with RCO - just like we saw a shift in suspension design, usage, and recommendations going from the TJ to the JK, I think we'll see a similar, though maybe not as big, shift with the JL. Lower heights and a greater focus on ride and handling vs building RTI ramp champs, especially as the market continues to shift towards overlanding/expedition type builds and activites vs trailered rock crawlers.

As far as brands go, I fully expect all the current big names to jump on the JL as soon as they can.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
No offense to Rancho, but I wonder who makes those shocks:idea:

Seriously though, if I'm replacing the springs, I'm also replacing the shocks with higher quality shocks.
Their parent company almost surely does. His point was that they are good shocks, and mine were still very good after 96k miles. I replaced them anyway because I had a 2" lift with shock extensions and I wanted new shocks that fit the lift without the extensions. I did lots of off-roading on the stock Rubi shocks, from North Carolina to Colorado, to Moab, and lots of places in between, and they performed well everywhere, even with high mileage on them.

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
Planning on EVO with Kings sitting on 38s myself. I've been done with cheap lifts for a while, Kings are the only option in my book.

Really hope EVO comes to market fast for the JL!

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
Planning on EVO with Kings sitting on 38s myself. I've been done with cheap lifts for a while, Kings are the only option in my book.

Really hope EVO comes to market fast for the JL!
@kromealt read my mind,
Its quite an investment, but Ive been drooling over this setup since the day I picked up my 13 jk.
If I don't go this route it will continue to haunt me in my dreams!

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't that one come with the Gamechanger shocks?
I think it came in three or four different shock configs, including no shocks.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I had lifted my old 2005 TJ, and at that time skyjacker was “the” brand to use as best I knew. I never lifted my2010 Sahara, so it has been awhile, so curious, what lift kit does everyone plan to put on their JL’s?
Skyjacker is widely known as junk today. I'd look for something from Teraflex or RockKrawler for a quality lift.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Skyjacker is widely known as junk today. I'd look for something from Teraflex or RockKrawler for a quality lift.
MetalCloak!...ya know because who needs money?

I had the Rock Krawler X Factor long arm system on my TJ...it was incredible for a TJ...probably would not go that far for a JK/JL though since they are already mid arm setups. I mean benefits are there but it would be a while before I would consider spending that kind of money and time welding/grinding on the brand new Jeep.

MetalCloak....although extremely expensive....is quite an impressive kit. I have watched a few buddies with the kit and am just impressed at how well it flexes and droops.

My old TJ had a Skyjacker on it and lasted not even one trail ride before I was breaking things. Swapped out to a Rough Country setup.....should have just pissed in the wind on that one (not hating...I had a RC lift on my F150 which was awesome, but the F150 was a parking lot queen, the Jeep kit just was not rugged enough). Ended up swapping over to the RK 5.5" long arm and never looked back. Beat the crap out of that thing and never had a single problem.

Wifes JK we put a zone brand lift on....I think the lift cost us $499 or something like that back in 2009....we rocked and beat that piece of junk kit for years and honestly did not have many problems. It rode like crap, flexed about as good as a cow with joint problems, but it actually held up for a good 5 years of attempted murder every couple of months before I had to pull it all and rebuild all the joints/bushings.

My 2012 currently has a 2.5" JKS....I didnt pay for it because it was lifted when I got it but after having it for a while I am not really a fan. Its a good kit, it rides well and has good road manners, but for off road purposes its not worth the $1600 price tag IMO.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Given the changes to the JL, Mopar offering well-tested lift options is genius. They know we want to lift, and might not want to wait for aftermarket to work out the kinks.

However, I'm going to wait. I'll replace my Sport S wheels/tires with 285s and no lift right away. By the time I'm ready for new tires, new JL lifts will be dialed in. I'll likely go with a 2.5" and 35s at that time...and maybe some re-gearing.

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
After what I've gone through to get my JKU on 37's and 12" coilovers I'll be making a huge shift and probably not putting a lift on the JLU for some time, instead adding some King air shocks, leveling the front, and tweaking the bumpstops will be probably the most I'll do and stick to 33's for as long as possible. It's pretty eye opening to run the Rubicon on 37's like it's a highway and then watch a stock 1948 CJ2A with military NDT's run the same lines.
11781843_10205184687878997_1027935737977985105_n.jpg

Here's me in said Jeep, it's was awesome enough I got my own...
Sponsored