Sponsored

What kind of ski attachment do you guys use for the mopar removable roof rack?

bydney

First Name
Sydney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4-Door
I'm looking at different options but I can't decide which one to get. Do you guys have experience with adding any ski/snowboard attachments to the roof bars?
Sponsored

BobWBristolRI

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC, 2017 JGC, 2020 Wr JL
Occupation
Hard. It’s Work, isn’t it?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at different options but I can't decide which one to get. Do you guys have experience with adding any ski/snowboard attachments to the roof bars?
I have a set of Thule Snowpack Extenders that I had previously used on my 17 GC (which worked extremely well - no muss, no fuss). With the new JLU, I just bought and installed a pair of Rhino-Rack's Vortex SG59 crossbars. I test fitted the Thule ski carriers - they fit just fine (with enough wiggle room in the adjustments that I expect they would adjust and fit many other crossbars out there). I expect you can check the retailers for fit before purchasing through their websites. If the Thule ones were any example, there's probably enough play and flex on most of them that most will fit the standard cross rails. Good luck - I smell snow coming in the crisp autumn air.

jsy

First Name
jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be JL Sahara
I am curious about this too. Was looking at getting mopar roof rack then adding yakima skybox or ski racks. What did you go with?

BobWBristolRI

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC, 2017 JGC, 2020 Wr JL
Occupation
Hard. It’s Work, isn’t it?
Vehicle Showcase
Have been using the Rhino Rack Vortex SG59 crossbars with the Thule snowpack extenders - 4 moderate range (3+ hrs) ski trips so far, no issues at all. Exactly fits 2 prs skis (bottom to bottom, like you carry them) and 2 snowboards (laid flat, bindings up), no issues. Locks, et al - Thule stuff, while pricey, simply works. No whistling, whines, anything. Surprisingly quiet (and I have Goodyear LT 33s that are quiet as death - hate noisy shoes.)

[ EDIT ] Have Jeep dealer techs in family - Mopar roof stuff has been somewhat problematic with many folks noting fit/finish probs and whistling noisy issues. Which is why I avoided them. I follow most direction on other Mopar / OEM stuff from Jeep family - this was a rare instance where I was advised not to go with the Mopar roof rack stuff. Hope this helps.

Regards, Bob W, Bristol RI

(Best cure for COVID fatigue is outside, but now I seem to be replacing COVID fatigue with Jeep gas cost fatigue. Go figure, but at least it's more fun, eh?)

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of ski attachment do you guys use for the mopar removable roof rack? ski_ri

Reactions: jsy

jsy

First Name
jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be JL Sahara
Have been using the Rhino Rack Vortex SG59 crossbars with the Thule snowpack extenders - 4 moderate range (3+ hrs) ski trips so far, no issues at all. Exactly fits 2 prs skis (bottom to bottom, like you carry them) and 2 snowboards (laid flat, bindings up), no issues. Locks, et al - Thule stuff, while pricey, simply works. No whistling, whines, anything. Surprisingly quiet (and I have Goodyear LT 33s that are quiet as death - hate noisy shoes.)

[ EDIT ] Have Jeep dealer techs in family - Mopar roof stuff has been somewhat problematic with many folks noting fit/finish probs and whistling noisy issues. Which is why I avoided them. I follow most direction on other Mopar / OEM stuff from Jeep family - this was a rare instance where I was advised not to go with the Mopar roof rack stuff. Hope this helps.

Regards, Bob W, Bristol RI

(Best cure for COVID fatigue is outside, but now I seem to be replacing COVID fatigue with Jeep gas cost fatigue. Go figure, but at least it's more fun, eh?)

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of ski attachment do you guys use for the mopar removable roof rack? ski_ri
Good to know about the mopar rails thanks! My original plan had been Thule wingbars, but the gutter clamps were out of stock. I guess I’ll just wait for them to come back in stock.

Sponsored

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Guys- I really recommend the Thule Rapid Gutter Low Foot Pack for the bar mounts instead of the Mopar one. The big difference (correct me if I am wrong) is that the Mopar ones do not have the locking option built in. The Thule version has a cylinder for a lock on every foot.

I got those and the Thule WingBar Evo 150 rails- then for the snowboards/skis, the Thule Snowpack Extender. The Extender pair has a lock on each part so you can get a 6 pack of cylinders and keys that all match so you're not carrying around a bunch of keys.

The Extenders are cool because you can climb up the rail of the Jeep and unlock, then pull out the actual extender track to move all of the load to one side of the Jeep in order to take out the boards/skis. Then when finished, you slide the rail back to the center of the roof. Very cool.

I understand that Thule actually partnered with Mopar to come up with the Mopar version of the rack system- but they dropped the ball of the locking option.
Remember, if you get a Thule bike rack or whatever other accessory, you can just get more cylinders that match your one key. Expensive options I know- but definitely the best in my opinion.

Reactions: jsy

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The Mopar rails do have provisions for lock cores at each foot/tower that are compatible with Thule and Yakima key cores. Pretty sure the Mopar rack is still made by Thule, and if not they did a good job knock-off/steal.

My preference for ski carriers has been an enclosed box for a while now. I know they are more expensive and harder to store, but they actually protect your expensive skis from road salt, sand, and all of the other grime kicked up in the winter. When I worked in ski shops and raced it was easy to tell which skis were in an open rack and which were in a box. More corrosion on the edges and bindings, and the melt mixtures often destroys the base p-tex and wax.

Inno has one of the nicest and lowest profile boxes. My load bars are quieter when it is installed. I can pull it off in less than 2 minutes when I don't want it on the roof and it hangs from my hard top hoist. In the summer I just keep it on the hard top and take the whole assembly off to store.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Mopar roof rack + Rhino Rack ski/snowboard carriers. Also added the Yakima lock cores which fit perfectly.
Sponsored